Foolish eating

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Acres
Regular Contributor

Foolish eating

Postby Acres » Sun May 22, 2016 10:26 pm

Hi,
Been having an IBS episode the last few days after going nuts and drinking beers, eating a tuna sandwich with mayo and a huge triple chocolate cupcake.....I let me guard down because I was feeling good.
Pepto finally has started to stop the 5 times a day D, and Xanax and papaya seems to help the rumbling, gas and cramps.
But that sick to the gut feeling is still hanging around without an invitation, but that might be due to the fact I have not been eating much....
I hope someone can learn from my foolish behavior and - go slow with food !!

Fighting the fear (the relapse panic) my last dose of Dificid was on 3/13/16... Must be the food, right ?
Scott

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Foolish eating

Postby beth22 » Mon May 23, 2016 12:26 am

Different foods can trigger symptoms in different people, even healthy foods like vegetables. I could not eat fruit or vegetables after c diff and my FMT. I would go easy on the beers though. Everything in moderation. Maybe just eat or drink one questionable food at a time and see how you do.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon May 23, 2016 1:09 am

You were very brave to eat all those things , I could not eat chocolate for months after my FMT and I still can't touch alcohol , it makes me sick to my stomach. Mayo is another food that is hard to digest ,it's really greasy.When I crave a little mayo , I make my own , it's a mayo made from boiled potatoes and 1 egg yolk with very little rice oil. Eat bland for a couple of days and let your gut rest from all that food that irritated your gut.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon May 23, 2016 8:37 am

We all know that "oh no it's back" panic!
Sounds like the food. Too big a coincidence.
Keep your eye on the 3 day rule for the next few days and remember "watery".
I could not tolerate alcohol for 9 months and missed my wine desperately but the thought made me sick.
Missed chocolate almost as much- my 2 favs.
Lots of food intolerances- be careful with raw veggies, fats and dairy. Add things slowly.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:23 am

I would definitely avoid alcohol and sugary treats for quite some time. I do think it's way too soon for that. Sugar is not your friend right now. I believe that bad sugar can feed the bad bacteria in your gut, and right now you are trying to get your good gut bacteria back in check. I didn't drink an alcoholic beverage for about 8 months or so after finishing vanco, and like Rita said, I missed my wine as well! I also missed margaritas! :-)

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Mon May 23, 2016 10:32 am

Hi,
I was taking it slow, but the success I was having made me over confident.
No BM for almost 24 hours.....Still rumbles and mild cramps.....
Had some chicken soup with rice last night. This morning I had an egg, banana and a small piece of bread.
I was going to try broccoli this week, but not now. I can tolerate steamed zucchini and cooked carrots and celery (in the chicken soup)....
I tried pizza and had success so I figured I was fine. Another lesson learned in my recovery.....

Thanks for the guidance,
Scott

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:35 am

Don't worry, Scott. We have all been there thinking we can eat or drink anything. It stinks eating bland for a long period of time. It sounds like you can tolerate a lot of different foods which is great. It sounds like you are starting to improve with your symptoms, so that's a good sign that it was the food that did it to you. You will be fine, just take it a little slower. :-)

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon May 23, 2016 3:41 pm

I think many of us go through the same thing. We probably all have a story of recovery when we were feeling well and then........over did it. I did it with a piece of chocolate cake.....I was sorry for 4 days!
I should have "tried" a tiny piece but just had to have the entire thing.
I went back to the bland diet and then did just fine. It is that old fear that takes over but I have found adding new foods I must go slow and I have not had any alcohol for 1/1/2 years. Maybe a sip here and there of some wine but that has been it.
Take care, hope you are feeling better soon
NanciT

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Wed May 25, 2016 8:43 am

Woke up this morning, thin stool, urge to go, gas, rumbles - really trying to fight another bought of depression....
I thought I was "over the hump" with recovery. I was feeling good.... Trying to think positive...How long can the ibs episode continue ? My mind is currently fixated on my gut. I know it's stressed. When I palpate the area , it's very hard in certain spots....
I try to work, do things that were helping previously but at this moment I feel lost...Maybe I am naïve - the last time I felt like this, I turned it around with positive thinking, exercise etc.... and started to feel better.
I do not want to worry about everything with eating, going to the bathroom, worrying about bm accidents, losing weight, having no energy & every ache and pain I get in my back, gut and unrinary tract area.... I thought I was ok. I feel like I have gone backwards to 2 months ago....
I am sick of this.....Right now, I feel beaten....
Another vent,
Scott

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:45 am

So sorry Scott - Vent away! You have to try and think positive. The positive is that you don't have watery D. IBS can last several days, but we usually use the 3 Day Rule as a gage. When I have had bouts of IBS, my mornings were terrible, but I would usually feel better throughout the rest of the day. I have had IBS that lasted almost a week. We can all relate to the anxiety of this. You have to try as hard as it is not to think about your gut, as your mind has a direct effect on your gut. Continue to eat bland and hopefully things will improve over the next day or two.

Lisa

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed May 25, 2016 2:39 pm

Ditto Lisa!!! Great advice! The only thing I will add is a caution-
I freaked out so badly after a couple of weeks that I called my GI and got a prescription for Vanco. I had been successfully treated with Flagyl. After about 2 days on Vanco I calmed down, thought about it and realized it was probably just terrible IBS. Called the dr back and told him and since I had started the Vanco he wanted me to finish it.
Moral of the story- no matter how much you know this illness can freak you out so try to stay calm, be rational and trust you will get better. Vent here!!!
Rita

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Thu May 26, 2016 9:39 am

Hi,
The last few mornings I actually wake up in a panic, very strange, as if I was sleeping with an anxiety attack. Then my mornings are filled with fear waiting for my bm's....
Still hoping it's just IBS from bad food choices...
1st stool this morning, not too bad, but the 2nd was the very very thin small pieces that I had the last time I tested positive.
Urge to go is back, rumbling etc..

I do not notice anyone else venting here as much as I do, slightly embarrassing, but it helps me. Going to be 100% honest. I am really scared - down to my bones....

If this continues, should I test again ? or is it ok to use pepto for small thin pieces stool, not D ?
I have Xanax, but do not want it to become a crutch...

Really trying to fight my moods and fear,
Scott

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu May 26, 2016 10:25 am

Scott,

It sounds like between the food you ate and also the typical post IBS your symptoms are common. We cannot give medical advice so I always suggest a follow up with your GI. They may consider an antispasmodic like Levsin would help, especially since you have that feeling you need to go again. I would also talk to them about this anxiety that you are waking up with.
CDIFF can cause terrible anxiety especially after treatment is complete because so many of us have symptoms for months. In my case it's been 1 1/2 years and I still have the IBS, its much better but there are days I go 2-3 times and do worry. The fear becomes less and less as you feel better.
Many of us have vented here over and over so don't think twice about it, that is what we are here for.
Hopefully by sharing our experience it will calm your fears a bit.
Ask about the medication, I think it might help
Take Care
NanciT

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:44 pm

I had terrible anxiety about my morning BM's in early recovery as well. My mornings were bad for a while. But for the most part, the rest of my day would be normal. Are you going throughout the day, or is it just the morning hours? I do think that your anxiety is a contributing factor to your GI issues. My IBS is 100% brought on by stress and nerves. And Nanci is right, the further along you get in recovery, the less anxiety you have. You have to try to go about your everyday life not thinking about your next BM or if your stomach is rumbling. It's a very hard thing to do, but I know if I think long and hard enough about a gurgle in my stomach, I can make myself sick. There is a gut-brain connection. For me, I normally always had an anxious stomach in the morning, so after c-diff, it became that much worse.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Thu May 26, 2016 2:19 pm

I have gone 4 times so far. But it's not watery D. It's very thin pieces, lots of rumbling and just an odd feeling of discomfort in my gut. Today is the worst day since Sunday, but I am home today, not working and worried about a long drive to Pennsylvania tomorrow...
Walked the dog, cut the grass, watch some baseball, a little exercise but my mind is betraying me and is obsessed with my bm's....
I think what's really driving me nuts is the fact I thought I was better, than this.....
Thank you all,
Scott

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”