someone please tell me if I did this right....

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
laneyw
New User

someone please tell me if I did this right....

Postby laneyw » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:26 pm

OK so I finally had my 3rd bowl movement and went down to the Lab core to give my samples...(understand today I took Vanco) its my first day..it was closed at 320 it was suposed be open until3:30.... and my stomach went to my knees!! Its a 24 hour grace for this sample for c-diff....I was told to put it in the refriderator by customer service at lab core....They said it stays better did anyone ever hear of this? And did anyone go on Vanco and test postive still with their stool samples???...I dont understand why hes making me do this....but I did fax over my concerns and questions so i will have an answer regarding what I should do in the morning but damn I am so fustrated right now and wanted to vent...and I been (sneezing alot ) I dont know if its from the vanco or what..... but thanks for any advice... one more thing did any of you bring the stool samples as you went One by one..? I waited till I was done with all three Maybe ..I cant think clearly from the aniety if thats what I should Of done my God am I embaraced.......let me know your imput ....

Lauren
Administrator

Postby Lauren » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:33 pm

Laney - if you're going to do 3 samples, they should be taken on 3 different days. And yes, you should always refrigerate/freeze if you can't get to he lab right away.

laneyw
New User

thanks

Postby laneyw » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:24 pm

Some times I feel I am too anxious to think but yes I do understand the 3 different specimens...although I guess I didnt understand that it has to be 3 different days....Thanks I left a message to the doctor's office I guess I'll wait to hear from him too..thanks Lauren

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:06 am

My Dr. has me get two different samples in the same day as long as they're from different bowel movements.He also told me to refrigerate them but that they had to be brought to the lab within an hour or they would not be as reliable.He also told me to double zip lock bag them in the fridge that way everything would be safe.
I did this with my past relapse and I did get two positive readings from both samples.I hope this helps.
Another tip he gave me as I couldn't get the second sample and it was almost an hour--Drink a cup of coffee if you can't go.That also worked!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:18 pm

Thx. for the tips, Christina, altho. some people need to ask their docs/labs these questions or read the info. already posted on the board. With so many posters, we can't "spoonfeed."

I posted your tips in FAQ-C. diff. Tests.

There is always the saying:

S . . . in the cup,
Fill it way up.

I won't add this to FAQ however.

millie
Regular Contributor

Postby millie » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:57 am

Christina I took this even further than the Ziploc treatment. I have a Foodsaver, so I put the sample in a container, then 2 or 3 plastic bags, then vacuum-sealed it! Even so, it's not really something you like to see in your refrigerator! At least here in MN, during most winters (this one seemed to be an exception), it's cold enough to put it out in the unheated porch!

diannestevens
Regular Contributor

Postby diannestevens » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:24 am

I was told by a GI doc that after six hours frozen or refrigerated, the sample really isnt good anymore. But after it leaves your hands it is really up to the lab if they handle it properly. I take my sample immediatly to the lab. If this is not possible for you then I would wait to collect a sample untill you know for sure you can get it to the lab in a timely manner.
Dianne Stevens

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”