Colonoscopy Question...

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
mollyme
New User

Colonoscopy Question...

Postby mollyme » Tue May 10, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question about colonoscopies post c-diff. I am five years out now, but I am considered a colonized person with C-Diff. I have had bad right side pain that feels like pinching on/off since C-Diff and also experience sour stomach, stomach pain, indigestion. My GI wants to do a colonoscopy to check for Crohn's and try to determine whats going on with the right sided pain. I had a CT scan done that was clear. I get terrible anxiety and do not want to do the prep. I am worried about throwing off my flora and causing a relapse since I am colonized with it. My doctor said not to worry about that, but that's easier said than done. I searched the boards and see that many have had colonoscopies with no issue, but have people here had bad experiences with it? Has anyone else dealt with this kind of pain that wakes you up at night, pinching/twisting like? It comes and goes but it always comes back.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds,I appreciate it.

Molly

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy Question...

Postby beth22 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:16 pm

As you saw on the boards, many have had colonoscopies. If it has been 5 years since you had c diff, you are probably ok to do it. Do you take probiotics? If not, you may want to take some for a few weeks after your colonoscopy. I would discuss your fears with the doctor and see if there are other tests that are not invasive that can be run. There is a blood test for Crohn's. I don't know how accurate it is though.

Dukiemom
Contributor

Postby Dukiemom » Tue May 10, 2016 7:23 pm

I was scheduled for one but after a search on this board I found a very small number of folks who relapsed after the test. I asked my GI and he said they would have likely been reinfected due to the dirty (sic) nature of the test and that he did not think it was relapse because of gut flora disruption. And then he said,"so we will be sure to be extra careful." I postponed the test because it wasn't critical. Shouldn't they ALWAYS be extra careful???

tessa63
Regular Contributor

Postby tessa63 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:36 pm

Hi Molly

I had a colonoscopy in April, a little over 3 months off of Dificid and I am also colonized with C diff. The docs told me 3 months was enough time to establish new gut flora and I did not relapse. You are fine 5 years later and you can't avoid a colonoscopy forever. It did take me 3 weeks to recover and I had loose Bm's for the first 2 weeks or so but it was more fatigue than anything else. I have lost a lot of weight and just had C diff this past winter so I'm sure you won't be as bad as I was. I had a very inflamed rectum and early part of my sigmoid colon. I'm glad I had the test done as I am being treated for proctitis with suppositories. I have left sided pain which could be leftover from the c diff or possible an early IBD although biopsies did not confirm that. I know Crohns is known to cause right sided pain while Ulcerative Colitis causes left side. I think its worth it for you do go through with the test because I can't imagine you relapsing at 5 years out if I did not at 3months; MY ID doc told me that my continued inflammation may actually be causing me to remain colonized with C diff. Its your decision but I don't think there is a medical reason not to have one at this point.

T

zinnia1
Regular Contributor

Postby zinnia1 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:02 pm

Molly- I also just had a recent colonoscopy-3.5 weeks ago. I had c diff last year, finished my last vanco last June and have had bouts of IBS in the recovery. I also had a CT scan in March which was normal. It has been 8 years since my last colonoscopy. This recent procedure went well w/nothing of concern showing up. I also had some loose stools 4 and 5 days past the procedure- I had jumped enthusiastically back into eating (had house guests) and prob ate more exotically then I had all year. Plus as the food began to digest the leftover prep had something to work on. I was concerned, but this board was super helpful and my gastro doc said to give it a week for the bowel to settle. She had wanted me to do a colonoscopy earlier really just to relieve my anxiety and I was really getting overwhelmed by all of this and never knowing what was going to set my gut off. I had several neg tests. I kinda wish I had done the procedure sooner so as to put my mind at ease sooner, but I am relieved to have done it now. Nothing to worry about.

zinnia1
Regular Contributor

Postby zinnia1 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:06 pm

PS- Do you have a gallbladder? That is right side. I had mine removed several years ago. But also IBS can cause cramping and pinching anywhere along all those corners and curves. Gas ex, pepto bismul, antispasmodics are all useful. I do not really take probiotics anymore.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Tue May 10, 2016 11:28 pm

Are you colonized based on a test or because you have had Cdiff before?

tessa63
Regular Contributor

Postby tessa63 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:22 pm

Molly

Can you post an update if you do decide to go through with the test? I think it will help others. Also I got a colonoscopy 5 years ago due to a twinging pain on my right side that was really bothering me. This was way before C diff, but now I remember that the pain went away just from the clean out of my colon. I do realize you have other symptoms and I'm sure you have had a complete workup for various issues but it may be worth it just to clean up those twists and turns etc. My first colo was completely clear so it was a relief at the time.

T

mollyme
New User

Postby mollyme » Sun May 15, 2016 5:44 pm

Thank you to everyone for your responses.

Due to my anxiety, I rescheduled my test for later in June. I am picking a time where I can get a couple of days of help (mom of two). So I will post to everyone letting you know what happens. I also read that the scope is not sterilized, no matter how they clean it. That is incredible! To think of the pathogens one could be exposing themselves to?!? I am going to follow up with my G.I. and try to get more information. I would like answers for my pain that I get; I think the colonoscopy may help with that. C. Diff was something that left me forever with stomach issues. Before my bout with the beast I didn't have issues like ibs, acid reflux, right side pain, etc.

I am colonized due to the fact that I test positive although I have no active symptoms. Many people will test positive for it as it can be a something that anyone can have as part of their flora. My GI informed me to only treat when you have active symptoms. So I abide to the brilliant "Watch, Wait, Worry" rule that someone on this board came up with. That has helped me out on my bad days.

Well hope I will get some more info soon. Will make sure to share. Thank you to all!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:34 pm

You might ask about having an abdominal MRI or CT scan or even an ultrasound to see if they can see anything in your abdomen. At least those are not invasive, although with the CT scan they give you this barium to drink and it gave me D. The MRI is a better alternative in my opinion. I had a sigmoidoscopy done post c diff because I did not want to do the prep for the colonoscopy either. With that, you just do a Fleet's enema before you go in, but most doctors don't want to do sigmoidoscopies anymore and always opt for colonoscopy. But, it is an option. It only allows the doctor to see the lower third of your colon though.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon May 16, 2016 12:46 am

Agree with Beth , there are many ways to avoid the colonoscopy like : MRI or the rectosigmoidoscopy that do not require a cleanse ( just a light enema) and the claprotectin test . Calprotectin is a highly-sensitive clinical biomarker for GI-specific inflammation.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon May 16, 2016 9:02 am

Much as colonoscopy preps are distasteful, for many reasons in our case, you can't put it off forever for health reasons.
At 5 years out I personally would not worry about the c diff risk. If I were due or having issues that could not be diagnosed by other means, I would worry more about what would not be properly diagnosed and treated by avoiding the colonoscopy.
I had one less than a year after c diff with no problem and that was almost 3 years ago. To be fair I was cured after 2 rounds of meds. I am not advising you either way whether to have it done now, but rather saying I believe it is something nobody should avoid forever or risk more serious consequences.
Rita

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”