My ultimate fear post Cdiff

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
susant
Regular Contributor

My ultimate fear post Cdiff

Postby susant » Mon May 09, 2016 1:52 pm

It happened. My baby was in a jumper and poop went all down her leg into the floor and she was playing in it and jumping in it before my husband got to her..... I've always been told well as long as you don't poop on the floor nobody will catch it. She may or may not carry Cdiff. She's 9 months old so likely she does. My husband walked in it and now it's likely all over my house. I literally had a meltdown. We are going to marriage counseling because of my fears and now my biggest contamination fear has happened. We are about to get hardwood floors but even when they rip of the carpets spores will go everywhere. I've already prepared myself to be reinfected it's just a Matter of when. I feel like the spores are now airborne all over my house. I feel like this is some kind of sick joke.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: My ultimate fear post Cdiff

Postby AllisS » Mon May 09, 2016 2:34 pm

I understand your anxiety -- I have a problem with anxiety as well, and it tends to attach itself to just about anything.

That said, I hope you can let go of this specific fear. Babies and toddlers have accidents such as this all of the time without posing C. diff threats to their environment. Your daughter does not even have C. diff. As for her possibly "carrying" it, this well may hold true for millions in the general population, meaning we're exposed to "carriers" all of the time. If you were hospitalized and on an antibiotic, you would be at greater risk from carriers. Excluding that scenario, the risk of contracting C. diff from the scenario that you describe is so minimal as to not be worth worrying about.

I suggest that you wipe down any obviously or potentially soiled areas that are nonporous -- i.e., not fabric -- with a bleach solution of one part bleach to nine parts water. For fabric surfaces that can't be put in the washing machine such as carpet, do a thorough damp-mopping with some type of regular detergent. And try not to worry about the carpet removal process. Spores do not become airborne from surfaces in this manner. The transmission route for C. diff is fecal-to-oral, so someone needs to first touch a contaminated surface and then "ingest" spores, e.g., by touching their mouth, nose, etc. If you're concerned about the people who perform the carpet removal, you could suggest that, as a precaution, they wear gloves and/or wash their hands after they are done ... don't mention C. diff, just say your toddler had an "accident" on the carpet.

Hope the above is at least somewhat reassuring.

Allison
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Mon May 09, 2016 2:40 pm

I know I'm not supposed to post more than once. I have a quick question.. Does anyone have a good suggestion for an antidepressant? I tried lexapro and it made my d worse. While I was on it was the only time I could function and not feel suicidal from my irrational fears. Thanks I wil not post any more today.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon May 09, 2016 4:18 pm

There are different classes of antidepressants. Lexapro is an SSRI; other drugs in that class are Prozac, Zoloft, and Paxil. In general their side-effects are thought to be less severe than those of other classes of antidepressants, e.g., tricyclics (an older class) and MAOIs. There are also so-called atypical antidepressants such as Wellbutrin. The only one qualified to recommend an antidepressant for you would be a psychiatrist; we can't make such a recommendation, as we're a support site, not a medical site.

I'm assuming, or at least hoping, that you have a therapist -- a social worker or psychologist -- whom you're able to meet with regularly? If not, I'd encourage you to find one, as the combination of talk therapy and medication has been shown to be more effective than medication alone. And if it turns out that you can't tolerate medication, the talk therapy could be invaluable. I've found that, myself; I've never found an antidepressant that I can take for long without unacceptable side-effects, but I've been fortunate to have a therapist whom I've seen long-term, which has been a lifesaver (literally).
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

zinnia1
Regular Contributor

Postby zinnia1 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:53 pm

Susan- I totally understand your anxiety after going thru all of this, but I truly also think you have nothing to be concerned about. I cared fro my teen daughter ten years ago when she had active c diff and cleaned toilets and bathrooms before we knew too much about it and everyone in house was fine. I contracted it myself from antibiotics last year. No problems for anyone else. I took welbutrin for several years before c diff and actually stopped while in recovery as I felt it was adding to my anxiety. I just recently started a mild general anxiety med that i felt I waned to try just to deal w/some challenging life situations. It seems to help. Both my primary care and gastro were on board w/it, though a psychiatrist prescribed. Primary care docs are very happy to talk to you about your concerns. Sometimes they may prescribe something very mild to help initially, but it is best to get a referral to a psychiatrist. They are so skilled at the pros and cons and can really listen and help you out. And then the talking really helps.
Life gets overwhelming when our guts have been in turmoil, we have been scared and not slept. And to be a mom of a baby on top- well, that is a lot! Call your primary care or OBGYN perhaps and let them know your concerns.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue May 10, 2016 1:03 am

Hi Susan
Usually SSRI are not well tolerated by people with IBS-D , Lexapro and Zoloft (Zoloft gave me the worst D ever) are notorius for worsening diarrhea.Tricyclic antidepressants have anticholinergic effect ,analgesic effect also sedative effect , they are slowing down the gut, constipate some people and calm down the pain , that is why they work best for IBS-D sufferers.Try not to touch the two antidepressants that they had been shown to increase the risk for CDiff : Remeron and Prozac.I have really bad insomnia and i was put on Trazadone and Lorazepam (a antianxiety med) by my psychiatrist and since i've been on them my BM have been a little bit more formed.Hopefully your doctor will prescribe something that "fits you".
Fell better!

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Wed May 11, 2016 9:06 am

And it continues... I wake up to dog diarrhea all over my floor. Kitchen floor so it can be bleached but how do I keep spores from flying everywhere while cleaning? Seriously my life is one big joke

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Wed May 11, 2016 10:23 am

There's "ordinary" diarrhea, whether in people or pets, and then there's C. diff. Why do you assume that your dog has the latter? Leaving that question aside, the answer is similar to what I wrote a few days ago in reference to your daughter's "accident": C. diff spores are not spread airborne in this manner, e.g., by a simple cleaning. Assuming that you have a hard-surface floor w/out carpeting, mop with bleach solution (if for some reason you suspect C. diff) or else with a product such as Spin n' Span, the way you would if you were cleaning normally.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Wed May 11, 2016 1:40 pm

Susan: Your most recent post that I was responding to accidentally got deleted in the process, maybe because I started off using the quote feature. No idea what happened. Anyway, please replicate your post. Sorry about that. Or perhaps you deleted it yourself, since I see you're online at the same time as I am?

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Wed May 11, 2016 3:53 pm

I had very bad anxiety during C. Diff recovery and my PC doctor recommended I speak to someone skilled in counseling. The psychologist helped me immensely and I am on a very mild anxiety medication. Exercise and distractions that keep your mind from wandering into those "what if" zones are also helpful. You are going through a lot right now. Don't be afraid to seek outside help. Take care.
Aloha,
Anne

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”