colonoscopy anesthesia and bronchitis...

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
zinnia1
Regular Contributor

colonoscopy anesthesia and bronchitis...

Postby zinnia1 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:39 pm

Well, was scheduled to have "routine /follow-up" colonoscopy on Friday, but have had bronchitis for 2.5 weeks.. I didn't even think about it, but anesthesiologist just called to tell me they didn't want to do procedure w.me having less then perfect breathing. I was so surprised as I figured just an IV and that's it, but they are being super careful- which is good, but so frustrating as my anxiety level was maxed out and I was ready! Now will take a long time to reschedule. I would like this to be done!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: colonoscopy anesthesia and bronchitis...

Postby NanciT » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:26 pm

Sorry you had to go though that, but know the doctor is looking out for your best interest. There are risks to any general anesthesia and a routine exam will be cancelled if you have any illness.
Sounds like an excellent physician! As soon as you recover, maybe your GI can get you on the schedule quickly. Just let them know you want to move forward to get it over with.
NanciT

zinnia1
Regular Contributor

Postby zinnia1 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:40 pm

Thanks NanciT- primary care wants me to start advair- which I think is ok w/past cdiff...but my insurance policy is denying it as that is what they do now.... Just trying to get better here!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:20 pm

I would call the pharmacy, find out what they will approve. If that is it, call the insurance and let them know your medical procedure was held off due to this illness , they must come up with a medication for you.

It is unreal what has happened with Insurance companies...almost as if they are the one's prescribing and not the MD's anymore!!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:54 pm

I have taken Advair without a problem. It is a prednisone inhaler usually preceded by an albuterol inhaler to open up your airways. Should work for your bronchitis. Calling your pharmacist is a good idea.

Feel better.

zinnia1
Regular Contributor

Postby zinnia1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:36 am

Thanks- I summoned up my fury this morning and called insurance company- was sent to four departments- even pre-auth dept "didn't know..." They "will look in to it and make decision in 3-5 days.." I said not good enough, had already had procedures canceled as I wasn't getting well and I didn't trust the end response. I am picking up adavair and paying- and if they approve down the road I can petition for reimbursement. I am SO OVER all of this that I am up for the battle.
I then receded to tell them that every med that I have ever taken, even ones that cost them $1.84 has been held up or denied by them this year. We are self-employed, but have been w/this company for years (cept for one time they raised rated like crazy) my kids used to take advair easy peasy/
I guess c diff gives you strength to fight for yourself..
Bobbie- good to know that advair/prednisone doesn't cause any side effects. That is much appreciated to hear.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:59 am

There is no medicine that does not have a side effect for someone so call a pharmacist. I, personally, have not had any side effects nor has anyone I know. Inhaled prednisone goes directly to your lungs.Oral prednisone has more side effects. As mentioned, usually you take another inhaler first to
open up the bronchial tubes. It can have the side effect of making your heart race altho I have not had any problems. Again ask the pharmacist.

I would be disgusted with the pharm. company, too, and glad you gave them "what for."

I am so glad you do not need an antibiotic! I have used inhalers for bronchitis and/or asthma and also viral pneumonia many times.

Be sure and drink lots of fluid.

zinnia1
Regular Contributor

Postby zinnia1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:24 pm

yes- I meant c diff side effects! Sorry! I do know that the steroid will make me racy.
Dr. ended up lowering dosage and gave me samples. They didn't want me to pay out of pocket and were annoyed as well. This is what they deal w/allllllll day. Ugh.
I do advair for a week and use albuterol as a rescue. Had used that for two weeks, and yes, I avoided antibiotics!!!! Others around me took them, I neve get upper respiratory stuff, so a new ball game. Really rather proud of my self fro avoiding, but don't wan to jinx myself!
Already feeling slightly better on new regime and SO annoyed colonoscopy was canceled, but then I get a croup cough, so I guess that is issue. Sure have learned a lot about how body works- or doesn't...
I used to be a social worker and there is a part of me that would really like to help folks w/their meds and insurance issues. The doctor receptionist told me today "If you aren't persistent and ask questions you will get taken advantage of."
Thanks for your guidance!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:57 pm

True words, Zinnia. Glad you are feeling better.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”