can certain foods bring cdiff back

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Jimmy34
Contributor

can certain foods bring cdiff back

Postby Jimmy34 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:38 pm

Feeling pretty lousy today. And was wondering if certain foods can bring cdiff back? Or maybe it's just that my stomach is still not ready for certain foods? Stomach has been upset and feeling nauseous of the day.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: can certain foods bring cdiff back

Postby AllisS » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:13 pm

Diet has nothing to do with whether C. diff returns or not. Food choices depend solely on what you can tolerate. Many people find the BRAT diet -- bananas, rice, applesauce, toast -- to be helpful while they're having GI symptoms.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:41 pm

A lot of people get PI-IBS and with it come food intolerances. There are certain foods that can trigger IBS symptoms in some people. For me it was dairy and fiber - so fruit and vegetables, especially raw vegetables. For others it is gluten. You will have to see what foods bother you and try to introduce those later when your GI tract has healed more.

saraht
Long Time Contributor

Postby saraht » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:54 am

Agreed with Alli, and Beth. Food intolerance is a crappy thing that comes along with c.diff. Just watch what you eat, and if you find it's a trigger, cut it from your diet, until a later time, and slowly reintroduce it. Hope you feel better.

-Sarah

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:49 am

I think that your food choices can trigger a IBS flare , not a relapse , although there are rumors that sweet treats can feed Cdiff and yeast.

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:23 pm

Thank you! I will take it a little slower with introducing other foods back into my diet. Was a rough weekend. But I feel alot better today. Other than probiotics and yogurt are their some other foods I should try to eat that will help heal things up and promote or help the good bacterias repopulate? Kefir is a bit hard on my stomach. So I had to stop drinking that. Maybe I'll try it again. But a smaller portion?

ppp67
Regular Contributor

Postby ppp67 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:34 pm

Try going without coffee and booze for a week. Maybe longer.
(if you haven't tried already).
You will survive.

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Postby Tonja13 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:00 pm

I thought the same thing many times. I had a lot of food intolerances after my many relapses with C Diff. I swore many times I was relapsing and I wasn't. I think the balance of the bacteria in the gut just takes a long time to settle down and they are responding to what we eat...but that's just my theory. I noticed that taking good probiotics with or near my meals made it a little easier.
As time passed (like months), it got easier and now I don't have any troubles...I do still take probiotics, however. And I'm almost a year and a half out.

Oh, foods with probiotics in them aside from 'dairy' products...Kimchi...great stuff. Also, Bubba's pickles (and cabbage). I don't know if you have any health food stores or a Whole Foods near you, but they are located in the refrigerated section and they will be marked as containing "live and active" bacteria, etc...the ones with the live bacteria in them keep in the refrigerator for a looooong time. Just like the kefir does. Good luck!

Tonja

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:44 pm

I definitely won't be drinking any beer or coffee for a while. I do drink peppermint tea with some honey it help settle my stomach. I still feel some slight nausea and upset stomach sometimes after a bm. But no dizziness or lightheaded feeling now. But I am only 2 weeks off of antibiotics. I had been on them for the better part of 3 months. So i am hopeful that it's just my body still healing from all of that mess.

Tonja thank you! I will definitely go to whole foods and get some of those things to eat. And will also take my probiotics closer to meals. Everyone has been so helpful on here. I have been going back to my previous posts and writing things down. So many don't even know about this horrible bacteria. I will doy part in spreading the knowledge. And hopefully help prevent others from getting c diff. Or at least help them through like you all are helping me. 2 weeks is the longest ive been without having c diff since Dec. I thank you all for helping with that. I pray we all recover and never get this horrible thing again.

tessa63
Regular Contributor

Postby tessa63 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:12 am

Hi Jimmy

I am almost 3 months post antibiotics for C diff and I still have issues with certain foods and its really frustrating. I am able to eat a whole lot more than when I was at your stage, but I am disappointed that I haven't advanced much in the last few weeks. I was taking slow increments of kefir and finally made it to 1/4 cup and then my stomach was a mess so Im taking a break again. I have researched an awful lot regarding gut healing and I will share some things I've been trying. Bone broth (gut healing) made from organic chicken is a recipe I got online and I sip it plain or add it to soup and many other recipes. Its good mixed w/plain rice as well. I also eat a few tbsp of coconut oil and manuka honey (mixed together is my sweet treat for the day). I take glutamine pills which are also supposed to help heal the gut lining and have incorporated various teas- peppermint , fennel (seeds bought from healthfood store), slippery elm etc. I was drinking so much peppermint tea that my reflux started acting up so I read that fennel and or anise was less disturbing. I eat a peeled (sliced) apple everynight before bed and drizzle manuka honey or cinnamon on it. If I eat something on the weekend that causes distress (pain and bloating) then I take it easy for a few days with oatmeal, banana, white rice, cheerios plain, a little chicken toast etc. This calms everything down in a few days then I go back to green beans,carrots, peas, chicken, salmon, baked potato, rice, avocado, soups, etc. . Soluble fiber is the key! It helps contractions etc. Eating at restaurants has become taboo for me right now because I get distress everytime Ive tried so far. I don't get any D anymore..its just gas and pain. Gas X and Beano along with a multivitamin and zinc/D3, Vit c have become staples in my life. I can't wait for the day I can try a salad!!! I was on antibiotics for a total of 30 days and probably had c diff for several weeks before diagnosed but the recovery has been much longer ...blah! I think this site should have a separate section just for recovery because that seems to be the longest part.

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:17 am

Thank you Tessa. Yes the recovery is confusing in itself. 3 weeks c diff free for me now. But my family and doctors convinced me to go through with the colonoscopy. So yesterday I had to stop taking the florastor and vsl#3 pills since my procedure is next Monday on the 28th. So today my stomach is all messed up. I cannot stomach the kefir for some reason? The doctors assured me that the stuff I have to drink the day before my colonoscopy won't kill the good probiotics in my system. So we shall see. I am or was tolerating more solid foods this past week. I just hope I'm not making a mistake by getting this procedure this soon after c diff. I pray that you continue to get better Tessa. And that the worst is behind you. God bless. And thank you all again for your help and support.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:34 am

Jimmy, I would wait a LONG time before trying salads or any raw vegetables. That seems to be one of the hardest things to digest, both in recovering from c diff and for PI IBS. I am over 3 yrs out and still sometimes have difficulty with large salads. It took me several months before I was nausea free and could eat and digest "normal" foods. I added new foods a little at a time and kept away from fried foods, raw fruits and veggies and sweets. I also had a colonoscopy but not for a few months and then had no problem. My GI dr told me that there was some thought that the prep might wash out some of the dormant spores. In any case, he was willing to wait a while before doing it as I could not stand the thought of spending hours in the bathroom!
Rita

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:41 am

Thank you Rita.
I was and still am very hesitant about the colonoscopy. But I also want to make sure that there is no other damage done from not only the c diff. But also from the multiple rounds of antibiotics. I am staying positive like all of you have suggested. And staying as upbeat as I can. Yesterday I tried to exercise a bit and it about wiped me out. I am praying to God that there isn't anything else going on. And that after this upcoming Monday I will be able to focus solely on recovering. And getting back to a normal lifestyle. With some definite diet changes though :) But hopefully will be able to get back to my active lifestyle that I had before this nightmare began. Again thank you all for your help. I will continue to pray for you all. And do what I can to spread the information you have shared with me onto others dealing with this. Or those who like me had no idea about this c diff before it knocked me down.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:08 am

Richlin- If you are concerned, there is a 24 hour urine test for 5-HTP. I've had it done. It will tell you your levels.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:44 am

Richlin
Your post was deleted because it contained material from another website that may be subject to copyright.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”