Neosporin/irrational fear?

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
cmomes
New User

Neosporin/irrational fear?

Postby cmomes » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:12 pm

Hi All,
I know the question of whether topicals can cause/activate c diff has been asked and answered throughout this and other boards on the forum, so I am just writing for some support and to vent. I feel like a dummy for using neosporin on a nasty cut. I am reading a lot about this ointment not being indicated or associated with the beast, but I have a symptoms that are making me wonder... I've been on a longterm pulse of vanco and was just finishing cycle 3 - 3 days off, 2 days on for 3 rounds - when I had a few bad days. Felt upset stomach-y, loose bowels, gurgling and cramping - all the calling cards. But I told myself again and again to stay strong, consider 3-day rule and all the other wonderful advice and info this site has provided. Today, which is day 3 of this stretch of bad days, I realized that I had been using Neosporin all week, sometimes multiple times a day on this cut on my hand. And I freak out. Even after reading many, many reassuring posts about this ointment probably not being an issue, I am still unconvinced and afraid that of all things I could do to myself, after months of fighting this awful beast, the worst might be to have carelessly brought it back by trying to heal a cut on my hand. Even if it is just a coincidence, it's so disappointing and scary to think the beast is back (or hasn't left) after 4 months of vanco... Thanks for reading.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Neosporin/irrational fear?

Postby Lisa33 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:38 pm

I know the anxiety can be very overwhelming at times, especially when you are having off days. I have never heard of Neosporin causing c-diff. I have used it a couple of times on cuts as well. I would think it's just a coincidence that you are having some off days. There are also a lot of nasty bugs going around. The stomach virus is running rampant in my area. If you are having watery D more than 3 times per day and not seeing improvement soon, maybe see your doctor. But, I wouldn't worry about the Neosporin. The worry is also going to make things worse if it's IBS. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you and BMs start to get better.

Lisa

mach1320
Contributor

Postby mach1320 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:36 pm

I get the fear, trust me I'm terrified of antibiotics after all this but I've used much neosporin pre and post c diff as I do a lot with my hands with no issue, i wouldn't sweat it and minimize use if you still worry. I always wash cuts with alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. If it's especially bad or a puncture or a flap I think can reattach I'll use the neosporin before the bandage but the others usually do it fine for me

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:05 pm

I've used Neosporin many times after c diff. For a while, I had to put it inside my nose and there it absorbs into your system much more than on other areas. I never had a problem. I have also used Bactroban, which is much stronger without a problem.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:21 pm

I don't believe there is any issue with neosporin, I have used it several time over the last few years with no issues.
Many of us feel as you do, fear of all antibiotics. This illness can be so difficult to overcome but you will get there!
Hope you feel better soon
NanciT

cmomes
New User

Postby cmomes » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:07 pm

Lisa33, NanciT, mach1320, and beth22 - thank you all for writing and reassuring me. I know it sounded silly, but to have GI issues/questionable symptoms showing up after I had been doing pretty well on a long-term pulse of vanco... I was just freaking out, for lack of a better description. And I am so grateful that you all wrote me and that you understand where I'm coming from.

I have a great doctor and she's been supportive throughout all of this, but even she seemed annoyed by the question, and I felt like she was judging me just a bit. But it's just so hard not to be afraid these days, and I'm grateful for your support and your kindness - and for understanding. Thank you so much.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”