The only time Cdiff is a good illness

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Dukiemom
Contributor

The only time Cdiff is a good illness

Postby Dukiemom » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:46 pm

Today I actually may have found the only possible positive for having cdiff as an illness. Shocking I know, and little comfort, but it is true. My husband changed employers recently after an unexpected downsizing at his company (read: we can hire a younger version for less money). We had to wait a 3 month probationary period before benefits kicked in with his new employer (I freelance, so we have always relied on his options) and today I was given the go ahead to speak to several life insurance companies to choose our new policy. THE BAD NEWS: Doctors don’t know how to treat us, hospitals put us at risk, pharmaceutical companies push antibiotics that harm us AND we are not a big enough story to demand appropriate attention from the media or the CDC. THE GOOD NEWS: We are not yet considered important enough to demand attention and so we are not listed on life insurance questionnaires as a health condition the companies inquire about! No doubt we’ll make the Top 25 list soon enough, but as of now, we can at least be happy we didn’t make the cut.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: The only time Cdiff is a good illness

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:37 am

Ha! I already have one illness that raised my life insurance cost a tad (Graves Disease). I sure don't need another. It's probably not considered a risk as it is eventually cured and not a disease that you live your whole life with. Although, I think we all feel like we have to deal with the fear of antibiotics and the what if it comes back our whole life.

I took one positive out of c-diff as well. I eat a whole lot healthier and cleaner. I changed my diet and eating habits completely. And I cook a lot more than I used to. My husband is reaping the benefits of this change for sure as he comes home to a hot meal every night during the week. LOL I say during the week only, because I don't cook on Fridays or Saturdays! :-)

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:02 pm

I agree that I eat better (and so does my husband now), but IBS issues have forced me to avoid some foods I love. I have a heart condition so, of course, I will always be an insurance risk, but we have great insurance (at least until he retires). I think I have become a lot more aware of what certain types of food do to the body and that is the up side. I absolutely agree that the very real downside of C. Diff is the fear of getting something that requires the use of antibiotics possibly leading to a recurrence. This has made me a bit of a hermit and overly cautious of crowds (or anyone who is obviously sick with a cold). Over here, C. Diff is so rare, few people know about it. However, I have noticed that they are testing for it a lot more (which is a good thing), but that means the word has reached Hawaii that it is a very real illness and should not be overlooked (which could affect insurance rates - hard to say).
Aloha,
Anne

holycrap
New User

Postby holycrap » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:20 pm

Well I can think of one other, heading into the holidays, I really wanted to loose ten lbs. I didn't have to give up IPA or wine to do it either, C-Diff to the rescue and I've passed my goal and then some. I'd have much preferred to renew my gym membership and gone out to play more golf now that I'm retired, either one would have been a lot more fun.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”