Change to iso policy at work

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
notheidi
Regular Contributor

Change to iso policy at work

Postby notheidi » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:11 am

I am just needing a little care tonight. It's been a rough few months with my job. First, we were on notice for possible layoff for several months. Then they tried to decrease our mileage reimbursement rate.

Now they've changed our iso policy that we have to go in and see patients who are on contact precautions. This includes c diff, VRE, MRSA, and any and other list of scary illnesses out there. We're told to suit up and just don't sit down or touch anything. How can you do a mental health evaluation standing over someone's bedside, and when you can't type on your computer? It just isn't conducive.

My longer term plan calls for staying in this job a bit longer, but I really don't want to now. Yet I also don't want to take the first piece of crap job that comes along either.

I am asking my gastro to write a letter to excuse me from working with c diff patients. I'm waiting to hear back from him. But honestly, after my experience with c diff, I'm not so keen on walking into a room where someone has VRE or MRSA either. I just don't have the stomach for it anymore.

I've started talking VSL # 3 again recently, and I don't tolerate it that great, so my stomach is upset, which is just reminding me of the whole thing.
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

saraht
Long Time Contributor

Re: Change to iso policy at work

Postby saraht » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:24 am

Sorry to hear things are rough at work. That's the last thing anyone needs. I know how you feel. I worked Assisted living, and nursing homes prior to c.diff, I loved the medical field. Wanted to go back to college and get my nursing degree, and then try for my masters. Now I don't know if I should even work healthcare anymore. I've been a stay at home mom for the last 3 years, got c.diff while pregnant, and haven't returned back to work since. I agree, just don't deal with it anymore. As much as I enjoy helping people, and want to help people, the risk is just too high. I thought about returning back to school for something I could do from home. Maybe you could find a job less hands on, and something you can do with less physical contact.

I had a lot of problems on VSL. Funny story. I started VSL a week before I went on a trip to Philly. When we got there, I started having the worst stomach cramps, and was rushing to the bathroom in Reading Terminal Market. I was a couple months post vanco for c.diff, I thought to myself.. "Here we go again" I couldn't stop going and my husband and I had the day planned to walk about downtown Philly and enjoy the sites. I was rushing to the bathroom every 30 mins or so, and kept getting the urge to go. I hate public restrooms, but they were my best friend that day. We had toured Lincoln Financial Field, my husband tried philly cheese steaks, then I had to go back to the hotel and rest. I was up all night going. We left early that morning, cut our trip a day short because I was miserable. At least I can say I pooped all around Philadelphia, lol. So I ended up having another test ran which was negative (thank god) and realized it was the VSL.

Hope you can find your dream job, wouldn't that be nice?

-Sarah

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:44 pm

So sorry you have to deal with this issue at work. I don't think that I would be comfortable going into these infectious rooms either. I know that you didn't want to change jobs at this point, but maybe it's worth getting your feelers out now at least. You never know, something else that is great may come along. This would just be added stress that you don't need. I know easier said than done, but it may be worth a try looking for a new job that doesn't put you in this position anymore.

Lisa

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:12 pm

I understand how difficult this is and wish I had a good answer for you. I honestly look at all of it entirely different now.
I have been in healthcare my entire career but this illness changed something in me.
I do not have direct patient contact anymore, but I am in the hospital 4/days a week and it concerns me. There are days I find myself worrying about it a great deal. I have fear I never had before. It is one thing knowing what these illnesses are, but so very different when you get one.
Is it possible for you to use your knowledge but not have patient contact ?
It is a very tough choice. I have also considered leaving this position due to the fear I get as I walk past rooms coded for CDIFF. Just yesterday as I walked through the ER, I realized how concerned I am and wish I could get past this fear.
I feel for you, and I am sure there are many others on this board in healthcare that have the same concerns.
NanciT

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:02 am

Thank you so much. Yeah, it does really change something inside knowing it's out there vs KNOWING it's out there and having had it in here! I feel for you too, going past those rooms. It is really traumatic.

It appears that for now they have changed the policy back, although it's the actual policy is still a little confusing. Yes, my longer term goal is to do something non-hospital/SNF based for sure!
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”