[checks watch] time for another dental c diff fears post!

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
notheidi
Regular Contributor

[checks watch] time for another dental c diff fears post!

Postby notheidi » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:22 am

Yep. It's about that time. This is me right now. I had two temporary crowns put in. They are the teeth on either side of my front teeth. My face is swollen and I have become terrified I may need an antibiotic. The dentist said he thinks the swelling is just from a hematoma from the injection, but I am still freaked out. So much that I couldn't sleep last night and couldn't perform at work today due to being sleep deprived with debilitating anxiety.

I was going nuts today. Should I go to the DR and risk an unnecessary antibiotic rx? Should I wait and risk more damage if it's an infection? etc etc etc. I drove to urgent care since nobody else could get me in, and everyone in the waiting room was sick! So I left. I also realized I hadn't finished paying my huge medical deductible for this year and I was going to have to pay out of pocket for the whole thing, so I decided to revisit the issue tomorrow morning if I need to go.

I will say I was not happy when the dental assistant was putting gloves on her hands, then touch objects in the room, then touching my mouth!

The pain from the crowns is improving. The real reason why I couldn't be at work was due to incapacitation from c diff fears and the results of that, i.e. insomnia and freeze mode. What a rotten way to spend a day home from work. But how great to be able to come to this site and share with people who really understand. You all are wonderful.
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: [checks watch] time for another dental c diff fears post

Postby Bobbie » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:14 am

Watch face closely and if it continues to swell, see dentist. Ask him/her about Perodex - an antibiotic mouthwash that has little absorption. It works on minor infections but not deep ones.

We all understand the fear you felt. Horrible feeling.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:16 am

Ugh! I can't stand this fear of antibiotics. Hopefully the swelling goes away, and you don't have to worry. Are you experiencing pain as well? The dentist said that he doesn't believe there is an infection, so maybe it just takes time for the swelling to go away? But if you have pain, definitely call the dentist again.

I'll be praying for you. As you know, I may be facing the antibiotic dilemma as well. It's just awful!
Lisa

saraht
Long Time Contributor

Postby saraht » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:27 am

I hope it's not an infection and just some swelling. My gums will puff up and get sore if I accidentally chew something hard. Can you use peroxide in your mouth after getting crowns? I was having issues a couple years and someone suggested I swish with peroxide for a couple minutes, and it made a huge difference after a couple days. Not sure if it would help in your situation, but that's an option. Keep us updated.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:54 am

Peridex is some kind of form of peroxide and it also has lidocaine in it to numb the pain. It is a prescription the dentist needs to give you. I use it for gum swelling sometimes and my husband used it after he had a tooth pulled.

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:11 am

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate the tip about peroxide and peridex! Never heard of that before. Lisa, I hope you don't have to take antibiotics!!!

I have this crappy 1,500 deductible health insurance but I decided to go to the doctor anyway, so I basically had to pay out of pocket. There's this fantastic urgent care about half hour away from me. Hard to find a good one, but this one is really good. They are always very compassionate.

Doctor said he saw no signs of infection! I have to say, I really gave pause when he wanted to touch my mouth with his gloved hands. I let him do it, but I did not observe the man wash his hands before he put on his gloves, which bothered me. Wish I would speak up better. Anyway, after he was done, I rinsed my mouth out with water to try to get rid of any possible germs.

I actually did have a deep face infection in the past, but it was from dental work on a lower tooth. It was a scary thing to go through. So this seemed very real to me.

Thanks again. :)
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:16 am

Did the dentist suggest putting ice on your cheeks? When you get teeth pulled they tell you 10 minutes at a time, but I don't know for crowns.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:45 pm

That's great that the doctor didn't see any signs of infection either! Thank goodness. Hopefully the swelling goes down soon.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:34 pm

notheidi: Glad the dental check did find any infection. It's probably just inflamed. Just be very careful after eating that you clean your teeth really well and swish with a mouthwash or warm salt water. I've had so may gum and tooth infections, I've become fanatical about it (especially since C. Diff). When I get swelling anywhere, I use one of those cold packs wrapped in a towel and hold it there for awhile off and on. And, drink a lot of water to keep your mouth rinsed so bacteria doesn't have a chance to accumulate. Good luck.
Aloha,
Anne

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:28 am

Thanks for all the suggestions!

This dental saga is continuing. I can't wait until the permanent crowns come. One of the temps fell out (they're on the top, so not as sticky I guess) and when I was at the dentist getting the temp put back in, the other side's temp fell out too. At least on the bright side, I didn't go home and have the second one fall out there. The teeth are both teeth on the side of my two front teeth. Anyway.

No need to reply, just a vent and update. Grrr.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”