I feel like venting today!!!

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

I feel like venting today!!!

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:19 pm

I feel like I get sick every other month. It's very hard to stay healthy when my 4 year old is constantly bringing home germs from school and getting sick herself. I take probiotics, vitamins and immune boosters, and still I get sick. I normally would just deal with it, but ever since c-diff, I am constantly worried about needing an antibiotic. I am 15 months out now, which I am so very grateful for. I had a scare a few months ago, that I may have had a throat infection, but the culture came back negative. I have now had a sore throat and swollen glands for about 7 days, and when I looked down my throat earlier, I had white pockets. I went to urgent care, and my rapid strep test came back negative, but they also sent out a culture for other bacteria. The doctor said that my throat was very inflamed and red. So here we go, the panic of needing an antibiotic sets in. I wish we all didn't have to live with this fear. It's just awful. I know that 90% of the time, it's viral, but I still can't help but worry. I have become the salt and warm water gargle queen, which is nothing to be proud of. LOL

Anyway, I just needed to vent, and say, "I HATE YOU, C-DIFF for leaving us with this constant fear of needing an antibiotic!" I'm hoping that my culture comes back negative and a z-pac isn't in my future.

Thanks for listening to my rant.
Lisa

justme
Long Time Contributor

Re: I feel like venting today!!!

Postby justme » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:43 pm

Lisa: I think we all know how you feel. After experiencing C. Diff, fear of an infection requiring antibiotics can become overwhelming especially, having a little one in the house (who are walking germ factories). It's been nearly 3 years post C. Diff for me, yet I still have the fear of catching a cold that goes into my chest causing pneumonia, UTI's requiring an antibiotic (I've treated 2 with just pushing water), or anything else that could bring on a required dose of antibiotics and a return of C. Diff. I am just getting over a cold that I got at the dentist's office where I had dental surgery and the fear was there. Hopefully, the PTB in the medical field will find some of treating this with a vaccine that would prevent a return of this beast after taking an antibiotic. I too hope your culture comes back negative and you an avoid the Z-pac. Good luck!!
Aloha nui loa,
Anne

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:25 pm

Thanks so much, Anne. It's so terrible that we have to worry about this. Funny you said that you caught a cold from the dentist office. I swear I get sick after every dental visit with a cold or some sort of illness. I often wonder how well those tools are cleaned. I'm a bit more worried than usual because of the white spots on my tonsils. But I don't have a fever, and it's not unbearable, so I'm holding out hope that it's viral. I wish a c diff prevention vaccine would come out in the near future too.

Thanks again Anne,
Lisa

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:02 pm

Hopefully it is viral. If it turns out that an antibiotic is needed, ask about doxycycline. It is used for URI often and is less likely to cause c diff than a Z-pak. Some of those viruses can last a while. I feel as if I am getting something too. Teaching is a good way to get stuff too.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks Beth! I will ask about the doxycycline if it's bacterial. Sorry you feel like you are coming down with something too. Teaching has got to be tough. I'm sure kids are always coming to school sick with something! This fear of needing an antibiotic is for the birds! :-)

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:45 pm

I feel for you Lisa, and understand the terrible fear so many of us live with. The saline rinse is a great idea, I would continue that. Hopefully this is viral and you will get through without the antibiotic.
I have had to take Keflex 3 different times.....just finished 6 weeks ago, took Vanco along with it but now GI says no more Vanco. So far, so good. I had not had a UTI for 20 years before CDIFF, I think we get run down and as you say if you have kids or work around them it's hard to fight everything off.
Try and get some extra rest if you can...and take good care of yourself!
Let us know how it goes, sending positive thoughts and negative results your way!
NanciT

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:06 am

Lisa,

Sending warm anti-antibiotic wishes your way!

I'm having this exact same fear right now! Hang in there. And feel better soon.

Karen
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:46 am

Another I HATE C DIFF.

Hopefully, your sore throat is viral, Lisa.

When I went to the doc last week, she had a resp infection, and so did the phlebotomist. They have a sign when you come in the door saying to wear a mask if you are ill and some thin little masks. Perhaps the docs and staff should read the sign.

Hoping for a virus. Damn infection can screw up entire life.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:45 am

Lisa, Hope you are feeling better today. I feel like I get sick after I go to the dentist also. I wonder if cleaning the teeth exposes the bacteria on the gum line and that is what causes the ill feelings. Either way, I hate the dentist and that is where I first got CDiff, from an abcessed tooth and clindamycin. Feel better.
CAROL

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:07 am

Thank you everybody for your well wishes. I really do appreciate all of you. I really am feeling sick now. I was up most of the night because it hurts so much to swallow. I feel very achy as well. I'm pretty scared that I do need an antibiotic. I haven't felt this sick in a long time. When I checked this morning, the white pockets are still on my throat. The culture is supposed to be back tomorrow. I guess it is what it is, and I'll just have to deal with whatever is going on.

Thank you all again. Your support means so much to me.
Lisa

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Plain old Pen VK is fairly narrow spectrum and works against strep throat. Call a pharmacist and check out this info. Can you get results on Sat. - tomorrow?

Know well how you feel. Damn c diff.

Drinks lots of fluid. Tea with honey and lemon might soothe your throat. Do you have a fever? Have you used Tylenol or Advil?

Docs always used to treat strep for fear it would damage the heart. It don't know what their opinion us now. Do you have
Ask a Nurse? Often helpful and another source of info.

Let us know.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:49 pm

Bobbie, the culture is supposed to be in tomorrow. I am feeling much worse. I have a fever now..a little over 101. I have chills, swollen glands, achy and my tonsils look terrible - white all over. I'm really scared now. I think this is going to be my first antibiotic after c diff. I've been taking Advil every 4-6 hours to keep the fever down and help with the pain. I am drinking a ton of water and gargling with salt and water. I haven't been this sick in a very long time. I wasn't able to get into my PCP, so I went to urgent care yesterday, and they did the culture. I explained my fear of c diff, and they told me to wait for the culture before taking any meds of course. I think I may call there and ask about the Pen VK or the Doxycycline. I'm at the point where I feel so sick that I am very close to just throwing in the towel and take the risk to feel better.

I'm so sorry that I'm not much help on the site today, but my fears have taken over as I'm feeling terribly ill. I can't thank you all enough for your support.
Lisa

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:18 pm

I am so very sorry to hear that, Lisa!! I can only imagine how the fear of cdiff, on top of feeling so sick, must feel like a ton of bricks hitting you at once. I wish I coukd take it all away from you.

Try to drink two drops of oregano oil in 8oz of water once a day and drink almond milk with turmeric and eat lota of garlic - all those are natural antibiotics and hopefully will help you feel better.

I am keeping you in my thoughts and hope you don't have to take antibiotics! :-(

Sending a hug and positive energy.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: I feel like venting to

Postby Bobbie » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:26 pm

Lisa,
I understand - difficult to console others when you feel awful yourself.

Years ago, docs uses to give penicillin shots for strep - assume you have strep but do not know. Shots can still cause c diff - but decreases the chance. Ask about it - some danger in shots if you are allergic to penicillin.

Feel better.Fingers crossed for you. Do not forget some can tolerate antibiotics after c diff but probably the narrower spectrum, the better. I tolerated a z pak twice for pneumonia without c diff.,I normally don't take probiotics but took VSL3 both times,

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:56 pm

I am so sorry you are feeling so ill Lisa, you are doing everything right! If the culture comes back positive, I agree with the others. PenVK or Z Pak . Try not to worry...it is so very hard.
Thinking of you and hoping you feel better soon!
NanciT

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”