Call to Dr. Mac at CDC

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Bobbie
Administrator

Call to Dr. Mac at CDC

Postby Bobbie » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:57 am

Called Dr, Mac the other day after googling his phone number. He answered the phone himself. He remembered me and that our site was the first c diff support site. I used to talk to him occasionally but had not for years.

When I asked him about the CDC sponsored info on the alcohol gels vs soap and water, he said it was
because the gel was effective against the majority of viruses although it was known soap and water were best for c diff. He said he had an appointment so no time for further questions. Disappointing. Once again, c diff is the ugly stepchild to other diseases. Soap and water are more inconvenient BUT.

I had a doc appointment last week. The nurse used a dab of the alcohol gel. The doctor was sick - cough, cough - but did wash her hands - although not well. The phlebotomist did wear gloves but was also sick. Cough cough. When I left the office, I went in the women's restroom and washed my hands with soap and water.

mach1320
Contributor

Re: Call to Dr. Mac at CDC

Postby mach1320 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:27 pm

I just don't get it, I feel like doctors treat c diff like its a cold or something.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Call to Dr. Mac at CDC

Postby AllisS » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:48 pm

Thanks, Bobbie, for trying to get answers from CDC. Also, well put, mach1320.

I have just written to Dr. McDonald, asking some pointed questions about CDC's official C. diff-related informational materials that are apparently in widespread use at hospitals, at least, in the Boston area. I believe that we and the rest of the public deserve clear answers as to why CDC is claiming that alcohol-based hand gels "kill bacteria more effectively than soap and water." I will post about this again if/when I hear back from him.

Allison
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”