Uti part 2

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
jds0870
Regular Contributor

Uti part 2

Postby jds0870 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:40 pm

So I started Macrobid on Saturday. I only had one dose that day. Today I had d and mucous. I've only gone twice today but it scares me. My stomach has been off too. I know there's a few who got through Macrobid with no issues so it really is scaring me that I'm having these issues. My anxiety is on level 10 right now. I emailed my gis nurse whom I email with a lot just to give her the heads up and see what she thinks. I also asked what the next line of treatment would be if I had to treat. Feeling discouraged right now and inside my head. Just so tired of all this in February it will be a year of this nightmare. When will it ever end?! I don't know if I have the strength to live with it much longer. Ughhh please don't let this be a relapse. Bobbie I don't know how you dealt with this from 1993 to 1997 and then again in 2012. You're one amazingly strong woman. Thanks for listening everyone I just needed to vent to get some of the anxiety out.

saraht
Long Time Contributor

Re: Uti part 2

Postby saraht » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:49 pm

I hope you're not relapsing, or getting a reoccurence. It could just be the antibiotic not agreeing with you and not necessarily c.diff. I will say tho, I got a reoccurence from Macrobid. I went to my GI and he told me that yes you can get it back from taking it. It's one of the less likely offenders but it's still possible. Don't work yourself up tho, you could do fine with it. I can't recall, but are you talking probiotics? That could help from relapsing or reoccuring as well.

-Sarah

jds0870
Regular Contributor

Postby jds0870 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:30 pm

Hey Sarah...really thing not to work myself up...its so hard though when you've had it for so long you just want I to go away! I do take two types of probiotics and drink kefir...drink kombucha here and there. I also eat yogurt from time to time. I have taken probiotics since last April when the doctors finally diagnosed me after feeling ill since February. Trying to be positive. I am thinking of doing the home enemas. I've researched so much and have relapsed after Flagyl and Vanco. I had two enemas at the doctors through the Rebiotix trial. Try were both real stool. I was seeing a nice turn around then this nasty Uti I tried to treat at home for like 8 days. I had to take the Macrobid as my back was aching and sides were also. I had the burning an urgency. So the doctor cultured my urine and put me on Macrobid because he knew my c diff past. But like you said any antibiotic can cause it. Really looking and thinking about home enemas.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:23 am

Wait awhile before giving up on Macrobid. It usually works against E. coli; any antibiotic takes a couple of days to work.

I had c diff from 1993-1997, again in' 1999, and again over ten eyes later after taking ampicillin for a UTI caused by proteus mirabellis that could have damaged my kidneys. I had two cultures before taking the ampicillin. i broke my left wrist making a bed and was in a no fault, no injury car accident the same week - have always had the damndest luck. Beth and I are the bad luck twins of c diff.

Keep in touch with your GI.

Give it a day or two. Prayers and good thoughts.

jds0870
Regular Contributor

Postby jds0870 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:31 am

So good news is the Macrobid got rid of my uti thankfully! However today the watery gross yellow d started! I've already talked to gi I did the enemas through and Rebiotix has agreed to give me two more real enemas if I relapse but I still have to pay the doctors $300 for each visit. Im so broke from this it sucks. My youngest turns 6 on Thursday and I didn't want to be sick for her birthday...I know it could be ibs but it just scares me as I had Macrobid even though it's a low offender it still can cause it. I just want this to be over. I start a new position at work 2/16 and cannot miss a day for two months. So I'm hoping to get stool culture turned in tomorrow or Wednesday so I'll have results by Friday and then hopefully I can get the two enemas before my training begins. I will not let this illness take my promotion. I will let everyone know my results! Hopefully ibs but I'm getting prepared just in case. I long for the day that all this uncertainty is over. I will say this much...c diff has made me tough! At first I cried all the time with this and there are moments of frustration when I still cry but now I jump into action mode and start working on a resolution. An I advocate for myself with the doctors. No more letting them bulldoze their opinions on me when I know my body better than they do. Also with my daughters....I heavily question any an all antibiotics they try to give for a little cold and wouldn't you know they have self healed every time without abx. I have this site and the beyond amazing people on it to thank for all the knowledge I now have. Thank for listening Jeri

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:54 am

Expect bad days. I had IBS for months after a FMT.

I have taken Macrobid for years without a problem and I am very prone to c diff.

You have developed a great attitude. Good for you.Do not forget- the anxiety and stress of a new job can affect your GI tract. Try to relax - know how hard that is.

Hang in there.

jds0870
Regular Contributor

Postby jds0870 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:48 pm

Thanks Bobbie that is helpful to know months out you still had d. Cause I tend to overthink lol. My gi wants me to turn in a sample though because I'm still having d today. So I'll drop it off today. Hopefully negative but if positive my gi already has a plan in place to do two more FMTS by enema. I've been getting the chills which I used to get with c diff. But could be a cold coming on too as both my girls were just sick. I do believe I may need to get back on my anxiety meds....because it's been through the roof lately. He ordered a gdh and Pcr I will post results when I know! Thanks Jeri

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:25 pm

I'm glad to hear the Macrobid worked and I don't think you are overthinking. I think you are smart to get a plan in place quickly just in case. If the tests come back negative, you will be able to start your new job without that anxiety hanging over you. If it's positive, you can get in quickly and get it taken care of. I think I told you earlier that I had to take a full course of Macrobid (ten days) at the eleven day mark after my FMT this past June and I didn't relapse, so, hopefully, this is just diarrhea from the antibiotic, but not c-diff. The Macrobid gave me diarrhea too, but I tested negative for c-diff. Wishing you good news!
Bea

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Good luck, Jeri.

jds0870
Regular Contributor

Postby jds0870 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:01 pm

Thank you Bea and Bobbie it means a lot to have your support! I did the walk of shame to the hospital lab this evening to turn in my sample. If I never see that place again it would be to soon! I will post my results when they come in. Thanks again for the positive vibes and support.

jds0870
Regular Contributor

Postby jds0870 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:51 pm

My test was negative. I still don't feel right and having intermittent d and stomach pains. I'm a month and a half out...almost 2 months from FMT. I guess I just thought I would see better improvement by now...guess it's a wait and see game!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:00 pm

I loved your comment "the walk of shame." A sense of humor helps when dealing with c diff.

Take it a day at a time. Some will be good; some not so good. Remember the heating pad.

Glad you are negative now. Congrats.

mach1320
Contributor

Postby mach1320 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:39 am

Haha. Every time the lab techs are putting the hat and container in a bag and start explaining the process I remind them I unfortunately am very familiar with the process they always get a chuckle. I don't know who has it worse, us for collecting or them having to test it

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:46 am

Congrats on the negative test! That's great news! The walk of shame! LOL! I remember driving those stool samples over to the lab. Nothing like having a bag of crap next to you in the passenger seat. And, then you have to wait in the waiting room with the bag. Everybody knows what's in that bag! LOLOL!

mach1320
Contributor

Postby mach1320 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:01 pm

Ill be doing another walk of shame this Saturday- third weekend in a row so don't feel bad lol

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”