Possible UTI

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
jds0870
Regular Contributor

Possible UTI

Postby jds0870 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:38 pm

Hello everyone...I hope everyone is doing as well as possible. I am pretty sure I have a UTI....I've been drinking sooo much water and taking d mannose like crazy...still hurts. So finally 4 days later I left work and went to Primary Health. Dip test negative...but it's being cultured so we will see. I'm still hurting. I could just cry and scream!! Lower back pain and urgency and frequent urination! I had last FMT on 12/23 if i have to go back on antibiotics I'm doomed. I looked up UTIs on this site and read about Macrobid. I just had to vent I've been stressed at work all day and almost cried. I found out I got the promotion I went for at work it's a 4$ and hour raise and a lot to learn. I really need this as a single mother of two money is so tight! Especially after all I've spent on c diff..but I couldn't fully enjoy the excitement because I was uncomfortable and worried. Training starts Feb 16th and I cannot miss one day it's for two months. If I get sick again I will lose this position. I know I'm being dramatic but this sucks...February will be a year I started feeling sick...was diagnosed in April. A year of this hell and worry and stress. Now I'm worried about the possibility of abx for a UTI that others wouldn't think twice about. We have all suffered enough I pray to god to please give us new treatment options so we don't have to be scared to treat ourselves for other illnesses. If I go back on meds and relapse I don't know how much fight is left in me...I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I cannot help it. I'm tired. I have faith in the lord but I'm feeling really low right now. This sucks... I haven't had Utis since I was a kid... I had a lot of kidney surgeries as a child. Now all of the sudden they have to rear their ugly head after c diff. Ugh! Thanks for listening everyone I knew you'd all be the only ones to understand why I would be so upset over possibility of a little uti!

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Possible UTI

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:37 pm

For some reason, many women develop UTIs after a bout of c diff.

80 percent of UTIs are caused by E. coli and respond to macrobid - one of the few "safe" antibiotics - unless you are allergic to it; a few are. See CDI - Antibiotics. Also, see CDI - UTIs for hints on handling them.

Both Bea - seeking cure - and I have had frequent UTI s. She did some research that indicated macrobid is effective against a few other bacteria besides c diff. I posted it in CDI - UTIs.

I also hav IC - interstitial cystitis. Am not supposed to take baths or swim or drink cranberry juice. This symptoms are the same as a UTI. It is diagnosed through a scope.

I am on a preventive dose of 50 mg of macrobid every night and so far this has worked well for me. (I believe Bea is,too.) I had one UTI last year - the first one in a long time - when I was the UK.. The doc upped by macrobid dosage and I was fine. I drink a lot of water - carry bottles of it in the car.

Congrats on your promotion. Wait until you fiind out the culture results before worrying - easy to say; difficult to do. Keep drinking fluids. Cranberry juice is good if you do not have IC. Keep up thethe D Mannose.

Several times when I first had c diff and tested positive - and little was known about c diff. -- I made a deal with the doc. I would return for another culture and consider an antibiotic in 3 or 4 days if positive. Several times I "drank" the UTI away.

Let us know what happens with the culture.To quote an old saying. " Don't trouble trouble unless trouble troubles you." Trite but true.

Congrats again on your promotion. You can handle this "bump in the road." If the culture is positive with a bacteria besides E coli, see a urologist.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:43 am

Yes, I have suffered for years with recurrent UTIs. I finally seem to have things pretty much under control with a number of things, including 50 mg. of Macrobid at bedtime and daily d-mannose and Cystex liquid. I also take a probiotic capsule that is specifically for women's vaginal and urinary tract health. It's called Primadophilus Optima Women's, 90 billion. I'm currently taking d-mannose powder dissolved in a little water with a little splash of Cystex liquid twice a day, morning and night. If you've never had an issue with recurrent UTIs before, hopefully it won't become a recurring problem for you. Your gut and vaginal flora is probably still not in balance from the c-diff and that is what caused this issue. It will take awhile for the good bacteria from the FMT to multiply and balance things out. I also lost some of the FMT on the table which probably contributed to my developing a UTI. If you had any "leakage" that could be what happened to you as well.

I know how scared you are having a UTI so soon after your FMT. I had the exact same thing happen to me after I had FMT in June this year. I got a UTI exactly eleven days after the FMT. I was terrified that the c-diff would come back but was able to take a course of Macrobid without relapsing. The doctor who did my FMT did not want me to take probiotic capsules of any kind for at least three months after the FMT, but had said that I could continue my homemade milk kefir and other fermented foods. However, when I got the UTI, I did go ahead and go back on s. boulardii, a small amount of VSL-3 and my Primadophilus Optima Women's. Don't know if any of that had any effect on keeping me from relapsing or not. If you can tolerate milk kefir, it might not be a bad idea to add that to increase your good bacteria, if you're not already drinking it.

Pure cranberry juice also might be helpful. I get mine at Trader Joe's, but they also have it at most health food stores. It is very sour so I dilute it with water and add a little stevia to be able to get it down. Most of what you get in the regular grocery store is full of sugar which is not a good thing with a UTI.

I will be praying for you that the d-mannose will be enough to flush out the bacteria and you don't have to take an antibiotic. Keep us posted and try to celebrate your accomplishment with the promotion at work. Job well done, especially with all you've been dealing with.
Bea

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:36 am

I am surprised that no one has mentioned before that a common side effect of vanco is a UTI infection.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... 907&page=3

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:53 pm

I also got a bad UTI after a long vanco taper and pulse. I tried to treat with cranberry juice, an abundance of water, cranberry pills, and finally a crap ton of D Mannose. None of which worked for me, unfortunately. Ended up having to take Bactrim for 3 days and my doc at the time advised that I take vanco along with it to hopefully lessen the chances of a c diff relapse. I ended up relapsing a month after finishing all the medication, as many have done before. But! Many others have been fortunate enough not to relapse :)

After having my urine cultured, I realized the reason D Mannose did not work for me was because I did not have E. coli bacteria causing my UTI (which is apparently the only bacteria D Mannose will help during active UTI infection)mix of course had something else. Just my luck.

After taking another long taper/pulse of vancomycin and being cured-I started to yet again develop symptoms of a uti. Well (pardon my language) but I was damned if I was going on another antibiotic and taking the chance of relapsing again! Did some pretty extensive research for natural cures to uti's and came across a heaven send-MONOLAURIN. Purchased mine in pill form from Vitamin Shoppe, dosing said to take 6 in AM and 6 more in PM if one is showing signs of a UTI. Then slowly taper yourself down in number of pills every 3-4 days as your symptoms lessen. Obviously I am no doctor and this is not medical advice, just something that worked SO WELL for me! Couldn't hurt to try? I know how concerning it is to possibly need antibiotics during recovery. Just thought I'd share what has helped me.

I hope you start to feel better soon! God bless

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:17 pm

UTI's seem to be the bane of women. Men have much less chance to develop one. I think it has something to do with the separation of their equipment from their rear. My urologist told me to always wipe from front to back and NEVER just the front. E coli bacteria has less chance of being transferred to the urethra that way.

I have a urethral stricture that I was born with which is a genetic defect. It wasn't discovered until I had an extremely bad UTI after childbirth. Apparently, it is something many women have that is rarely diagnosed. I take a drug called Flomax which is given to men with prostrate issues, but also works for women. I take it twice a day and have to drink water continuously. I used to get a dilation done yearly (I called it my "hot poker" day, because that is what it felt like), but I have to take a general antibiotic (Cipro usually) so I try to avoid having one done.

In my case, the stricture along with acid reflux makes cranberry juice and any other citric type of treatment very unpleasant and not worthwhile. I am glad I now know that Vanco can cause these issues (thanks Roy). If I get this nasty C. Diff again, I may have to forego the Vanco and go directly to Dificid. I don't want to go the Flagyl route again - ever. We are actually all in the same boat - trying to avoid ever getting something that could lead to a recurrence of C. Diff. I have successfully avoided getting a UTI since C. Diff by just forcing water constantly. It won't always work, but it's worth trying before resorting to an antibiotic (although Macrobid is the least problematic).

Take care everyone and "happy" peeing!

Aloha,
Anne

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:49 pm

Anne- the "happy peeing" made me laugh :) thanks for that!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:20 pm

jds

Hang in there, a negative UA is an excellent sign. Doing the culture is important because you have symptoms but it could be negative!

I have recently battled with 3 UTI's over the last 7 months and had to treat, so far all is OK.

Hoping you get a negative result and feel better soon!

NanciT

jds0870
Regular Contributor

Postby jds0870 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:26 pm

Thank you Bobbie...reading your posts about UTIs was the first thing I did when the symptoms started...because I remember you and Bea and Nanci all battling UTIs so I knew I would get some good info from it. Thanks Bobbie...I'm hanging tough and really trying hard not to let the worry get to me. It's so hard. I'm someone who had anxiety which was made worse by c diff and I have gotten off anxiety meds for a while now because they made me grouchy and I didn't like it. I've been really working on self soothing since stopping all anxiety meds...it's been difficult. I've thought about going back on them but I'm trying to hang tough without them. I really like the quote it's so true! I really need to remember it...I'm saving it to my phone!

Thank you Bea I went down to Natural Grocers on my lunch break and got real cranberry juice...you weren't kidding....very sour lol. I should get my culture back soon if it's not a UTI I don't know what's going on...but I hate that uncomfortable feeling grr! It's hard sitting at my desk at work with that feeling. I feel for you all who've battled Utis they hurt! It's been years for me I forgot just how uncomfortable they are. It's so strange how many things c diff is linked too. I do have kefir Bea...is that the same as milk kefir? The one I buy is like the yogurt drink. I'm going to look into the probiotics you mentioned.

Anne...thank you for the laugh! You're so funny and such a great personality! I'm sorry you've suffered so much...all you describes sounds so painful! I really love your positivity it's infectious.

Jackie...thank you! I'm going to go tomorrow and try some! I've been doing d mannose...it doesn't seem to be working which scares me because that means it's probably not E. coli...and then I can't take Macrobid! My stomach feels so watery ugh lol I've been flooding myself. Im having the stinkin back pain...hate it! I'm gonna try the Monolaurin...I will try anything first over antibiotics!

Thank you Roy I had no idea but of course it would because that our luck!

NanciT thank you' you're so sweet even though you're going through so much. How long are out from last antibiotic and Vanco??

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:08 am

Just a few weeks. The UTI was a bad one, went on Keflex/Vanco for 7 days. Then it returned. Went back on for another 5 days. GI now says no more Vanco, checked the research and my history, first UTI was a week post Vanco taper(3 months). GI feels I am 13 months post CDIFF and feels the Vanco is causing me more problems than good.
Still feel I have the UTI on and off, but just had a UA this week and was negative. I have been seeing an excellent urologist who is working with the GI.

It's difficult to deal with the anxiety, I really do understand that. Hopefully the culture is negative and you can work through this without antibiotics. Everyone has given you excellent info here!

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:22 am

Yes, milk kefir is the one that tastes like a yogurt smoothie. There's also a water kefir, which I have not tried.

I didn't know that Vanco specifically was linked to UTIs, but I've noticed anytime I take another antibiotic, I seem to end up with a UTI. I think it's because antibiotics kill off the good bacteria in the vaginal area and urinary tract.

Jackie, I bought a bottle of the Monolaurin, but thank God, haven't had to use it so far. I haven't had a UTI since the one I had right after my FMT this summer, knock on wood.

There is one more thing you might look into before resorting to antibiotics if the culture comes back positive. It's a product called UT Vibrance Crisis Intervention. I keep a bottle of the pills on hand and, if I feel a hint of burning, I will pop one and that's usually enough to nip it in the bud. The only reason I hesitate to mention it is because it contains uva ursi, which has antibiotic properties. I don't know if it would be potent enough to put you at any increased risk of c-diff or not but you can do your own research on it and decide what you think about it.

Let us know how things go.
Bea

jds0870
Regular Contributor

Postby jds0870 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:09 pm

Hello everyone....culture was positive! Boo...they've called in the Macrobid I haven't picked it up yet. I barely slept last night I was hurting an uncomfortable. So I picked up the UT Vibrance this morning Bea and took my first dose...my question is and I know no one can give medical advice is if you think I would be okay to give the ut Vibrance a couple days and then if it's not successful I can take the Macrobid. I'm just hurting and have been battling this naturally like 5 or 6 days I think maybe more. So I long for relief lol. But I think I may give this a try for a couple days. I pray I don't relapse I still have ibs days and hurt from pi ibs so it's like I'm still healing from c diff. I even had some mucous today ugh. Thanks for listening and the advice I really appreciate all the help. Thank Jeri

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:08 pm

Was the culture positive for E. coli?

You are asking us to help you make a medical decision. We can't do it. You have already done all the alternatives treatments without luck.

There is an OTC product called AZO that will help with the pain and turn your pee bright yellow. Check with the doc on call before you take it however. It will NOT cure the infection, however.

Personally, I would take the Macrobid as it is a "safe" antibiotic - or as safe as one can be. I have taken it for years. Call a pharmacist and ask his/her opinion. You don't want the UTI to turn into a kidney infection.

Best of luck and let us know your decision.

jds0870
Regular Contributor

Postby jds0870 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Okay Bobbie! Thank you that makes sense. I was worried about it turning into a kidney infection also! Yes they cultured it Thursday and I got results today. So he called in the Macrobid I'm gonna go pick it up. So bummed right now. Feel like crying but hopefully I don't relapse. Thank you all for the advice and for listening.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:58 pm

Just looked up name of Med for pain if you need it - and my computer went dead. Fixed now - AZO - check with the pharm about it. Haven't used it in years.

You will be OK. Just another bump in the rocky road of c diff. See CDI - Antibiotics.

Keep drinking water.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”