Possible UTI

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Re: Possible UTI

Postby Jackie25 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:04 pm

Azo works very well for the pain! When I treated with monolaurin I also took Azo for the Amin and had luck with that too :)

I'm sorry your culture came back positive, I know it stinks! But keep pushing forward, you will beat this :)

jds0870
Regular Contributor

Postby jds0870 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:15 pm

Thanks Ladies... He prescribed the generic Macrobid for 7 days 100mg twice a day. 7 days seems long but I dont really know as I've not had a UTI in years. Took my first one like an hour ago..it was really hard to do. Praying for no relapses.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:04 pm

For what it's worth.. I took macrobid only three weeks out from my first Cdiff infection and it did not cause relapse. :)

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:50 am

Hopefully you will be fine with the Macrobid. Remember, I took it only eleven days out from my FMT and did not relapse. I was scared to death that I would, but I didn't. The good news is the bacteria is e-coli so you can use the Macrobid and don't have to take one of the stronger antibiotics.

Hold on to the UT Vibrance and if you should start to have symptoms again in the future, start taking it at the very first sign of problems. I't works best if you catch it early. Hope you won't need it, but good to have it on hand in case.

I also continued to take d-mannose even when I was taking the Macrobid because it is not a very strong antibiotic and sometimes doesn't clear a bad infection. I think this is why doctors prescribe it for 7 days instead of 3 like some of the other antibiotics for UTIs. The first time I took Macrobid when I was on Flagyl for c-diff, it seemed to work while I was taking it, but the infection returned as soon as I finished it. Check with a pharmacist first to make sure this is okay, but I think it is, since d-mannose is just a simple sugar and it will help to wash away the bacteria. I would not take the UT vibrance along with an antibiotic, however.

Hope you are feeling better in a few days. The Azo does work great for the pain.
Bea

jds0870
Regular Contributor

Postby jds0870 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:58 pm

Thank you ladies...it makes me feel hopeful others have used it without relapsing. I only taken 3 pills so far. My stomach feels really yucky and upset. I hope it's just a side effect and I'm not relapsing but it's scaring me. Did anyone else experience an upset stomach on this?

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:38 pm

My first day after taking my antibiotic for the UTI I had multiple looser stools and stomach cramping. Didn't feel very well at all. It went away a few days later :) I believe those are typical symptoms with majority of antibiotics unfortunately!

Praying this works for you and you can keep on in your recovery :))

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:33 am

Hi Jds
So sorry you had to take a antibiotic again as you were doing so good in recovery.Hopefully since Macrobid is not a high offender , you will be fine and won't relapse . It's normal to have a little GI upset when you take the antibiotic but if you feel like thing are going downhill fast and they become CDiffy , do not wait and ask to be tested.I'll keep you in my prayers!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:48 am

Your nerves about taking the Macrobid may also be contributing to your yucky stomach feeling. Sometimes our mind can do a number on our gut (brain-gut connection). Keep reminding yourself that macrobid is a low-offender. Many on this site did well with it without a relapse. I would keep up with the probiotics if you can tolerate them to make sure you keep your good gut bacteria in check. Probiotics are actually most important after you finish the antibiotic as well. Keep positive. You will be fine.

Lisa

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”