Venting is Good

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
justme
Long Time Contributor

Venting is Good

Postby justme » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:57 pm

It helps to vent. It gets rid of stress (at least I think it does). Today I found out I broke my tooth so badly that it has to come out. I already have no molars on the bottom left side and now I'll be getting rid of a molar on the upper right. Chewing will be an interesting experience (goodbye juicy steak). Then on a visit to the PC doc, my husband tells him that I am getting frequent infections beside my nail bed on my middle left finger above a cyst in the joint. I self treat because I don't want surgery (and a possible antibiotic). He tells us that I must get the cyst removed because a bad infection would be worse and they shouldn't need to give me an antibiotic after surgery. So that has to be done. Geez! It really sucks to get old and have all these issues that come with it. I really will be a toothless granny. All I'll need to complete the picture is a hairy wart on my chin.

Aloha to all and I hope the New Year is a good one for everybody on the board.
Anne

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Venting is Good

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:41 pm

Oh Anne, when it rains it pours! So sorry you have to deal with these stressful situations. That really stinks that you broke your tooth, and on the opposite side from where you had the other molars pulled. On a positive note, at least the dr. said that you most likely will not need an antibiotic to do the cyst removal. Sometimes life can really test your limits, but with a positive attitude and a little humor, you can get through it all. And you have both of those qualities, so I know you will be just fine. Stay strong as this too shall pass.

Lisa

saraht
Long Time Contributor

Postby saraht » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:31 am

Sorry to hear about all your issues, Anne. I think we all have something going on huh? Don't you think for the stuff we all have dealt with and continue to deal with, that we should all be worry free, have great, health and be rewarded with amazing beach vacations? We can dream right? ;) and don't worry about getting an old grandma hairy wart, I'm in my 20's and have more hair on my face than a lot of men. Thanks PCOS for turning me into a Sasquatch! Hope you giggled!

-Sarah

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:11 am

I do too Sarah - I have to use my special tweezers every night. What's PCOS? I've always been hairy. It's the bane of us Latinos. When you are young it is on your body, when you get old it is on your face. I'd rather it stayed on my head thank you very much.

TowerL
Contributor

Postby TowerL » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:39 am

Hi Anne,

Good thing is you may not need an antibiotic. I'm 28 and between c diff, chronic sinus issues, IBS alone I am proof that age has nothing to do with being sick. I am fortunate though that being latina I don't have the hair issues. One for me!

saraht
Long Time Contributor

Postby saraht » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:58 pm

PCOS is Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. It's a hormonal disease where my body doesn't create enough estrogen/progesterone and I have too much testosterone/androgen. Ovaries have lots of cysts on them and are often larger than most. Lots of pelvic pain, and other symptoms due to having too much male hormone. Of course one of the major tell tales for younger women is excessive growing facial hair. It also puts you at higher risk for other hormone diseases including diabetes. It can often be associated with Hypothyroidism.

Mine actually started when my Endo had me pushed into hypothyroid to try to level my hyperthyroid. Big pain in the butt, and of course the only thing that they treat with is birth control, which I cannot take due to migraines with auras. Anything containing estrogen increases risk of stroke. So I'm stuck being hairy, LOL!

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:01 pm

Sarah: Thank you for the information about PCOS. I know about the link between migraines and female hormones. I had a TIA 2 years ago and they think it was due to the fact that I had been a migraine sufferer for years and was on HRT (the chance is 37-47% greater and that's pretty high). I stopped the HRT and enjoy the occasional hot flash (about 5-6 times a day), but better than a stroke. I've been hairier than most females all my life just due to genetics.
Aloha,
Anne

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:52 pm

Anne, think twice about getting false teeth. Look into any other option. We have friends who have them and are very unhappy. Both lost a lot of weight because it can be so difficult to chew with them.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:31 pm

Bobbie: I know that false teeth are a bad option and I'm not there yet, but am losing molars. I'm getting the extraction done Feb. 5 (3 days after my 72nd birthday - "Happy Birthday to me"). The surgeons at the clinic also specialize in implants. I'll talk to them about implants, but being over 70 and having lost gum tissue, I may not be a candidate. You are right though, it might be worth another consult. Hope things are well with you.
Aloha,
Anne

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Venting

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:39 pm

If antibiotics don't have to be used, they might be an option, but you said, there are other considerations.

I see my osteoporosis doc tomorrow for a bone density test and afraid of the results. See my orthopedic surgeon the next day. What' a fun week!

I try to space doc appointments out but did not have a choice. At least I am going to two dinners this weekend,

Back in Jazz 3 to. 5 X a week but can't use weights yet. Has really upped my energy and my attitude.

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:28 am

Happy belated birthday, Anne!

I'm so sorry to hear about your tooth and your finger challenges. I hope the extraction went well, your pain is under control, and you have a speedy and uneventful recovery!
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:04 pm

notheidi: Thanks for the birthday greetings. Getting older sucks, but it's better than the alternative. The extraction went very well and is healing up nicely (I only had pain the first night), but I got a cold and that is bothersome, but not a big hurdle yet. Hope all is well with you.
Aloha,
Anne

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”