why dont drs listen???

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
tonia
Regular Contributor

why dont drs listen???

Postby tonia » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:09 pm

Hello....so, I posted last week about my son being "diagnosed" with strep after a rapid test was done and being given a script for amoxicilin. I had asked the dr to please do a culture to be sure because of the situation I am in. He refused saying the rapid tests are 100% accurate and then proceeded to tell my son if he did not take the med that strep could kill him. Luckily, my son trusts my instincts and did not start the pills. I managed to get the PA in the office to run the culture, she has seen what I have gone through due to doc being antibiotic happy and had no qualms whatsoever "going behind his back". Well thank God for her! His culture came back today NEGATIVE!!! It makes me so angry that he wanted to put my son at risk for this nasty disease without doing everything he could first to make certain it was necessary. Doctors want us to trust them implicitly but are not willing to trust us when it comes to our bodies or our childrens bodies. To me this is foolishness. They all too often want to say nothing is wrong when we know something is going on in our system. On the other end of the spectrum, they want to go with worst case scenerio when we are certain it isnt that serious. I know they have to protect themselves because we live in a time where everyone wants to sue someone for something, but just listening to the patient could go a long way to keeping trouble at bay.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Re: why dont drs listen???

Postby Dobies#1 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:00 pm

Wow!! I'd search for a new doc ASAP if I were you! I would want to give the doc a piece of my mind and tell him you were thankful he had a willing PA but you don't want to get the PA in trouble either. I hate doctor's who just want to shell out antibiotics! He shouldn't have tried to scare your son about the strep. Although it can be serious, antibiotics are worse if you take them if they're not needed!! What an idiot that doc is!!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:04 pm

Unbelievable! We can all share your frustrations on doctors as I'm sure many of us have come into issues like this before. It is very frustrating. That's great that the culture came back negative. I hope your son is feeling better.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:34 pm

Very Happy the PA did the right thing and ran a routine throat culture!!
It is sad you made every effort with this MD, and I would find another who has compassion for someone who has had CDIFF.
Once we have had CDIFF, all extra precautions should be taken for us and our children/families.
It is terrible we have to go through all this, but the bottom line in medicine is we have to be our own advocate especially once having gone through an unbelievable illness such as CDIFF.

Glad your son is doing well!!!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:59 am

Hi Tonia
I'm so glad that your son's culture in negative but i'm so angry with this narrow minded doctor .It seems that all they want to listen to is themselves!! Only they are right, only they know everything, some of them even play GOD!! We have many of those here where i live.I really understand your frustration.BE STRONG!!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:39 am

Here is a joke that addresses this point:

What is the difference between God and a doctor? God doesn't think he is a doctor.

Too true.

Jane4258
New User

Postby Jane4258 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:13 pm

Just a good reminder to me to be skeptical of any and all doctors that want to get antibiotic happy with me!!! I used to have a hard time getting doctors to listen to me, but since going through cancer, and now c-diff, I have no qualms questioning my doctors. I need to remember to be diligent when it comes to antibiotics, unnecessary hospital visits, etc. Even though I have had c-diff since February, I am just getting used to remembering to question doctors when tests come back negative, but my body is telling me it is not gone, etc.

Thanks for sharing - and glad your son was not put at risk!

Jane

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:16 am

I think one thing that we all tend to forget is that we are PAYING the doctors, so they work for us and really need to listen to what we have to say. If you had an employee that did not listen, you would fire him or her. The same goes for doctors that don't listen to a patient's concerns.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:26 am

That is so true Beth . Amen to that!!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:31 pm

Great advice, ladies. So glad culture was negative, tonia.

We have the right to question and to ask ou4 health care professionals to wash their hands - the right way!

Love the joke, NanciT. It is true about some doc's.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”