Mom prescribed antibiotic for 1 month!

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Mom prescribed antibiotic for 1 month!

Postby beth22 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:52 pm

My mom who will be 95 tomorrow has had a bad rash on her back and some on her chest. She has had it for close to two months now. When I first saw it, I told the skilled nursing facility that it looked bacterial and they said, "No, just a heat rash." They have been putting cream on her for heat rash that has not done much. Then we switched to Mycolog which has cortisone and an antifungal - still nothing. The dermatologist came and saw her and took a biopsy. Thought perhaps it was auto-immune. But, no, it was not auto-immune. It was bacterial, just like I thought from the start. So, today I was told they wanted her on Keflex for one month minimum!. She has had relapsing c diff in the past. No way. I called and asked to speak to the doctor and explained. He said he wanted to give her doxycycline, but tetratcycline was listed as an allergy for her. News to me. I told them to give it to her instead. I don't think she has any allergy. She used to put down any med she did not like as an allergy years ago and maybe this is what happened. I hope so. Even doxycycline for one month is a lot for someone with a c diff history and being in a facility. I'm praying she doesn't relapse! If the rash clears up in a few weeks, I will ask if she can stop the meds. Hopefully, the doxy will work. Always something.....

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Re: Mom prescribed antibiotic for 1 month!

Postby NikaNik » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:06 pm

Oh, Beth! I'm so sorry to hear this. I will pray that the doxy clears it up and the c diff stays away forever. Hang in there! Hugs!

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:39 am

So sorry Beth, My mom has also been in and out of hospital and rehab. She is going home today after a heart valve stent and will have to take a daily ATX. I'm so afraid for her also. All we can do is pray but at least Thank God you are there to help her and keep an eye on things. My brother does what he can but he isn't on top of things like I would be. All the best and prayers for your Mom, hopefully she will only need the med for a short course.
CAROL

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:18 am

So sorry Beth. Always something to stress you out. Sending prayers that your mom doesn't relapse and the rash goes away. I wish we didn't have to worry about taking antibiotics. That in itself is the biggest fear for all of us. They need to come out with something soon to prevent relapse.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:55 pm

Sorry, Beth. You have had so much and now this with your mom. Happy Bday to your mom and Best Wishes to her thoughtful, caring daughter.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”