Diaper changing

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Diaper changing

Postby Ashley20 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:03 pm

I just realized that i been carrying around a diaper changing pad that folds in my baby bag and use it to change my baby's diaper in public changing tables everywhere...i dont think its very clean to be carrying it atound after placing it on where all kinds of babies poop gets changed...never thought about it till today! I am at baby depot and bought disposable changing pads...my baby just pooped alot and got the stool all over his clothes and it was very messy...i would usually not be paranoid about it..but should i be changing his diaper with gloves or wash his bottom with soap and water when i get home...or wipes are enough? Any moms out there who can give advice or reassurance please. I usally just bathe my baby in his little tub with a small amount of baby bath and am now thinking if this is enough

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Diaper changing

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:22 am

I think the disposable changing pads are a good idea. You just throw away the germs then - not just c-diff germs, but all germs :-) While you are newly recovering from c-diff, maybe as an extra precaution wear disposable gloves during diaper changing. As long as you wash your hands with soap and water and practice good hygiene, the chances of transmission are really slim. I don't think that I have ever read on this site, that c-diff was spread from one family member to another. My daughter is 4 so I don't have a little one in diapers anymore, but if it were me, I don't think that you need to make changes to how you are cleaning your baby. If the poop gets all over your baby, as it does with babies all the time, chances are you would probably need to wash the poop all off with baby bath and water anyway, even if c-diff wasn't in the picture. If you are out, I would just wipe it all off with wipes and change his/her clothes. I used to carry extra clothes, a ton of wipes and plastic bags. I would put the clothes in the bag, which would go right into the laundry when I got home. I would wash my daughter when I got home. But all of those steps is what I did normally, pre-c diff.

Everything will be fine. Try not to worry.
Lisa

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:12 am

Thnks...i have always just cleaned my baby with wipes after he poops, even at home. I only bathe him once a day in his tub, i dont usually wash just his bottom separately....i have a friend who says she washes her daughters bottom with soap and water in the sink after evety bm...dont know how i would do that.....starting to think if just placing him in his bath water is still a good idea

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:02 pm

I wouldn't wash the baby every time either. I only washed if it was all over the place - up the back, etc. I should have clarified in my earlier reply. In my opinion, wipes is good enough for a normal BM diaper.

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:13 pm

Lisa...i read in some of your threads that you did a course of Flagyl but had to also take Vanco...how long was the Vanco for that helped you get rid of cdiff?

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:29 pm

Hi Ashley - Yes, as with most people diagnosed with c-diff, I was given a 10 day course of metrodinazole (generic of Flagyl) as the first line of treatment. Somehow, I tolerated it ok and got through it and was feeling better. I was actually back to eating normal and doing really good for two weeks, and then it hit me again. All of the symptoms came back suddenly - the watery D many times per day, chills, nausea, and just feeling unwell. I was put back on the metro again. This time it was for 14 days. I got through just a couple of days and for some reason, my body couldn't tolerate it this time. I had extreme nausea, no appetite, terrible chills, terrible fatigue and brain fog, and oral thrush. I think the metro was making me sicker than the c-diff. Thanks to the knowledgeable people on this site and the info here, I pushed for the vanco. It took about 9 days before I was switched. I was so sick for those 9 days, one of them being Halloween, and somehow I trick or treated with my daughter and went to her school parade. I barely remember the day and probably would have went to the ER if it wasn't Halloween. After I switched to vanco, I felt sooooo much better within 24-48 hrs. It was like night and day. I had zero side effects on vanco. I was given a 14 day course. This is what cured me. Recovery was a roller coaster ride for sure and very hard in the beginning. I thought I was relapsing many times, as I had post-infectious IBS. One time I was sure that it was a relapse, so the doctor called in another vanco script and a stool sample. Something told me to wait on the results of the stool sample because most of my symptoms were in the morning hours and I felt pretty good throughout the rest of the day. Thank God I waited because my test was negative. You never want to treat unnecessarily as it's like starting the whole healing process over again. Most doctors do not re-test though and treat based on symptoms alone to avoid over-treating as test results can be false, especially if tested too soon after coming off meds. I took VSL-3 probiotics (spaced apart) while on meds. I then took 1-VSL3 and 1-Florastor in recovery, and still take them. I also drank Kefir and ate yogurts with live cultures throughout. I am 9 months out now, and as time went on, things got better and better. It just takes time to heal for some.

Sending you well wishes,
Lisa

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:49 pm

Great to hear your story....i been actually feeling alot less stress and anxiety since reading through all the stories and understanding this cdiff a lil more...doctors dont really explain anything....the first week i slept nothing...i was afraid to touch my baby, afraid to sit on my sofa, and i didnt even have D. Trying to bleach everything was making me so sick...the fumes are unbearable and would burn my nose....i felt so defeated with not being able to clean and take care of the baby. I have relaxed more these few days and been sleeping alot more. Ita been 10 days since my last flagyl and hoping the D doesnt come back...but if it does i will ask for the Vanco too... thnks! ((((HUGS))))

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:30 am

I take 2 florastor and 1 culturelle a day and drink keifer too. Is the vsl3 at stores too...haven't seen it

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:34 am

You can find which stores sell VSL-3 in your area on the VSL-3 web site. Here is the link:

http://www.vsl3.com/pharmacy-locator/united-states/

You can also buy it on Amazon. It is quite pricey unfortunately.

Also I am not sure if this was mentioned already, instead of using a bleach solution, I found it much easier to buy the Clorox Germicidal Healthcare Wipes. They are much better odor wise and sooooo much easier. I buy them on Amazon. They say kills c-diff spores right on the container.

Most of us never heard of c-diff before until we got it. The medical community does not seem to educate patients on what can happen from antibiotic use and what c-diff is. Like you, this site and the people on it, are really the ones that educated me and got me through that horrific time. The good thing is that you now know more and will know what the next step is as a "just in case." Hopefully, you are cured and can put this thing behind you. Remember, the majority are cured after one round. You usually don't find the majority on sites like these as they are back to living their lives. So, don't be discouraged by some of the stories here. However, it's these people who have been through the ringer who have a wealth of knowledge and experience to help others and newcomers.

You sound like things are improving, which is great!
Lisa

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”