FLU SHOTS

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
justme
Long Time Contributor

FLU SHOTS

Postby justme » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:39 am

This year's flu vaccine is out in two strengths - high dose (for elderly or those with other health problems) and regular dose. Might be a good idea to get a shot just in case. It's been 3 days since I had the shot and I've had no reaction. Here in Hawaii, there giving it out at the drugstores administered by the druggist.
Aloha
Anne

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: FLU SHOTS

Postby NanciT » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks for the Info Anne, have not seen them out here yet. Happy you had no reaction!!

I will be looking for them here, need to have for work

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:34 am

Thanks for sharing this info, Anne.
I am very afraid of flu shots and only took it twice before (one with a bad reaction and another one with no reaction).
However cdiff gives things a whole new perspective and I will protect myself this year.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:24 pm

Flu shots should not cause a problem as they are manufactured from "killed" - deactivated viruses. I get one every year - have never had a reaction - altho I know people who swear they get the flu from the vaccine. They have a "extra strong" one here, too. There is now a vaccine spray. People who are allergic to eggs should not get the flu vaccine as it is grown on eggs. See the CDC website for more info about the flu vaccine.

Check into the pneumovax shots. There are two now - and each protects against different strains of pneumonia - there are hundreds of strains.

Anne, you are 10 short of Alvin's requirement for the title of frequent poster altho I listed you as one a long time ago. Hope everything is OK in Hawaii.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:28 pm

Bobbie: We just missed Hurricane Kilo, but got remnants and lots of flooding, thunder and lightening. Now, we have Ignacio and Jimena headed our way and they are bad ones. They will probably just clip the islands and stay northeast bringing wind and rain (hopefully). The two I've experienced had Hawaiian names Iwa, and Iniki so we were nervous about Kilo. Hurricane season lasts until the end of November, so it's rather nerve wracking. BTW, I got the high dose of the flu shot and still have had absolutely no reaction. Thanks for the info about poster status.
Aloha,
Anne

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:05 pm

Good luck to you. Even Paradise has its problems. So hope the islands will be OK. Fingers crossed.

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:23 pm

In 2013 an egg-free flu vaccine was introduced (Flublok), but was not approved for anyone over 49. Last fall the company completed all the tests necessary for the vaccine to be approved for older adults. My sister, who had not received a flu shot in years because of her egg allergy, got the Flublok shot last fall. She did not have any reaction to it. (I have been getting the high dose). Last year the number of locations one could get the Flublok vaccine was very limited - basically you had to go to the Flublok website and look up where you could get the vaccine.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”