Fatigue

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
notheidi
Regular Contributor

Fatigue

Postby notheidi » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:03 pm

So super tired of the fatigue. It is so oppressive! I thought I was getting better from it but I have had a few setbacks this week. I feel again that I can barely get out of bed and drag myself around. It's affecting both my work and my social life. With work, I had to ask to delay an assignment that required a lot of driving until the next day because I just didn't have the "attack" it would take to get such a day done. With my social life, I do little and when I do go out, I leave early.

I did get on the exercise bike for 7 minutes yesterday and the horse for 1/2 hour on Wednesday.

Overall, I feel like the fatigue is like walking through water all the time, it just feels so heavy. How long did it take people to get over the fatigue? I am two weeks off vanco.
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Fatigue

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:00 pm

You should ask your doctor to check your vitamin and mineral levels. A lot of us get lower B12, B6, iron, etc. and those can cause fatigue. I had low normal B12, low D and A . Some have had low iron.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:04 pm

I agree to check your levels as well. I was fortunate to be deficient in only vitamin D, but after an infection like c-diff, you can definitely have deficiencies. I felt fatigue for quite some time after finishing vanco. I would say it took me almost 3 months to really feel my energy level increase. And, it wasn't until I started eating gluten free, that I really started to see a difference. My alternative medicine MD suggested that I try eating gluten free for 6 weeks to see if it helped with my healing, and boosting my immune health. This was in January and I finished my vanco in Nov 2014. A few weeks in to eliminating gluten is when I saw a significant difference in my overall well-being. My energy level was significantly better for sure. I know it's a very individual thing, but this is what helped me a lot in recovery. I still try to eat mostly gluten free, but I do tend to go off of it on the weekends. Your body has been through a significant illness, and it takes time to boost your immune system back up. It's great that you are exercising again as well. With time, the fatigue should subside. But, I do understand, as fatigue was a significant issue for me as well.

Lisa

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:16 am

Fatigue was a big part of my recovery. I am older and have other health issues, but after losing 40 lbs. with this thing, it took quite awhile to get my energy levels get even close to normal. However, a lot depends on your age, overall health, and severity of the infection. Go slow and take naps or at least lie down and rest whenever you feel that fatigue hit. I went Gluten free also. I don't know if that helped me, but it didn't make things worse. I think it did help with certain problems during recovery. Just take your time and don't rush.
Good luck and aloha,
Anne

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:58 am

Thank you all for the suggestions! I appreciate it. I will ask my doc to order some labs. I will try to eat healthier too...admittedly not the best at that.

I was out cold today for a 2 hour nap, which helped.

I am probably taking my recovery too casually, in terms of forgetting how significant this was.
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:08 pm

Casual is good - but don't overdo it. You have been through a lot - including buying a new house. I don't know how you did everything! Blood work, nutritious food, and taking naps are good ideas.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”