New article about shoes in the house and bacteria?

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
kwiatek7
Regular User

New article about shoes in the house and bacteria?

Postby kwiatek7 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:52 pm

Hi all,

I came across this article and wanted to share it will everyone, hope you guys can read it and let me know what you think?
It's about shoes soles and how it carries bacteria and talks about c-diff and not wearing shoes in the house because of it.

http://naturallysavvy.com/live/you-abso ... your-house

Agnes

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: New article about shoes in the house and bacteria?

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:00 am

I know people who don't wear shoes in their homes. My SIL is one of them, but I do. Well, actually I often put on slippers when I get home. I usually have an old pair of shoes I wear to the hospital for my clinic visits, just because I associate hospitals with germs, but I don't know if it makes much of a difference. If you take your shoes off or put them on you use your hands to do it usually, so you would still get the bacteria on your hands and would need to wash them. I always wash my hands after I put on my shoes. I generally just kick them off without using my hands. I think it is a personal choice, but I don't think many of us got c diff from our shoes, although it is possible. Good hand washing would still be the answer.

I also read that women's purses carry a huge amount of germs too, especially if you set them down on the floor. Also cell phones.

kwiatek7
Regular User

Postby kwiatek7 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:21 am

Yeah I doubt that we got c diff from our shoes but it’s something to be aware of. What you said about washing hands after putting shoes on makes sense and I never thought about it that way. Bacteria is all around. I don’t want to become a hypochondriac; but after having c-diff and still dealing with the aftermath (a year later) you look in all the places that can possibly get you sick. I definitely learned to wash my hands more.

Thanks for your input Beth.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:44 am

We try to not wear our shoes in the house, but what's even more gross to me is that in the summer time, I wear flip flops or sandals. God only knows what bacteria gets on the bottom of my feet! And then I walk barefoot throughout the house anyway. This stuff can make you crazy though. I think hand washing is the best preventative against germs and bacteria no matter what. We can't stop all the germs from entering our home. It's impossible. I have had a really hard time with anxiety about germs since c-diff. I was bad before, but c-diff made it ten times worse. I am really trying to let go because I am going to make my daughter anxious about germs too. And kids need to get dirty and build up antibodies, etc. And what's even funnier is that even with all of my obsessive hand-washing, wiping, antibacterial cleaning, etc, we all still get just as sick and seem to catch everything anyway. I am trying to just let go and if my daughter wants to play in dirt, let it be. We all did it as kids! LOL

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:36 am

Thanks for posting the article! I am very careful with shoes but this brings more light to a caution I think all of us with CDIFF should know about.
I had not thought about my purse and its something to consider along with the cell phone. One of the biggest things is Hand washing and something we all need to follow.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:10 pm

On the tv news they had a piece on the purse and cell phone, although I have read about it too. They suggested using some kind of antibacterial spray on the purse if possible (depending on the material). I do that every so often. I try to clean off the cell phone at least once a week - I use a spray on a paper towel and then wipe it down.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:51 pm

Dirtiest thing in your house is probably your money!
Theres more germs on money than in a toilet.

kwiatek7
Regular User

Postby kwiatek7 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:30 pm

Oooh my, good points everyone. Roy, if you want to get rid of your money I don't mind the germs ahahhahahahah.

Lisa, I totally agree with you, even though we try to be super clean and take all the right measures not to get sick we still get sick. Kids have it easy, they don't think about these things and just go out and have fun (off course if adults don't nag them hehe). At the same time thinking about something can makes us go crazy and we are more likely to attract it :/ Its the power or attraction! We might not want something but out mind omits the "not" and you know the rest.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”