Feeling down/frustrated

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Feeling down/frustrated

Postby Dobies#1 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:42 am

Morning guys! I just need to vent. My husband and I are in Myrtle Beach with my parents and sister for vacation. Things were going pretty well. My BM's haven't been the best, but we are eating different things being that we're on vacation. But last night I woke up at 2:00 with some stomach pains and just not feeling good. I'm hoping it's just a gastritis flare. We went to a baseball game and I ate some nachos that were pretty spicy! We haven't been eating our regular type of foods like I said though since we are obviously eating out a lot. I also had a horrible headache on Wednesday so I took an Advil with two Tylenol. I worried the Advil might hurt my stomach but my head was hurting so I bit the bullet and took it like an idiot. Anyway, I took a Zantac at 2:00 when the pain hit. I hate when things happen in the middle of the night because my mind goes to the worst! I was literally terrified that the Advil I took made a hole in my stomach and my bowel was perforated! Then I worry if I take Zantac the C Diff will come back! Ugh!
My nerves are also on edge because my family will go back to Texas tomorrow and we will go back home to NC. My husband is also going out of town Monday. So my mind is like what if I do have something seriously wrong and it's going to hit when I'm by myself?!!!!! This morning I was in tears and instead of trying to comfort me my husband gets mad and left to go for a walk! I know he gets tired of hearing me whine about my stomach issues but all I wanted from him this morning after an agonizing night was some assurance and comfort! Sorry for the poor me syndrome but I obviously can't talk to him anymore when I'm scared! Anyway, thanks for listening. XOXOXOXO!!!

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Re: Feeling down/frustrated

Postby NikaNik » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:32 am

Hi, Dobies!

I'm so sorry you're having a tough time - on vacation no less. Deep breaths! It definitely sounds like some of the foods you ate contributed to your not feeling so great. And could the headache have been from not drinking enough water? (I know I often don't drink enough H20 on vacay - too busy eating haha.) I highly doubt c diff would return after two years with no antibiotics and even after one Zantac so try not to stress about that. I ain't no doc but it sounds like pain-in-the-keester IBS to me.

It's hard for anyone to understand what this does to our brains. My husband has been wonderful but even he has his moments where he tells me "enough with the c diff" or, if he sees me Googling something, "stop diffing it up" (okay, that one makes me laugh). You can talk to us anytime and let it all out. It'll be okay, okay? Maybe eat more bland for the rest of the trip if you can just to give your tummy a break. And try to do something for you - take a walk alone, buy something pretty and try to relax and enjoy the rest of your trip.

I'll pray you feel better very soon.

xo
Nikki
Last edited by NikaNik on Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:03 am

Hi Dobbie,

I am so sorry that you are feeling so frustrated. I totally get it - our minds can go to the worst so fast!
It does sound though like the spicy nachos and other foods must be tricking your stomach. As Nikki said, try to eat a bit more bland foods and see how you feel.

Our spouses can be great partners and great help, but they all get tired of listening to us at times. They just don't get why we worry so much, why sometimes we just feel like crying. Even if they try to understand us, they don't know what it really feels like - the same with friends and family.

This community and group is safe and we all understand each other and our frustrations and fears. Hang in there and try to enjoy the rest of your vacation. It sounds like IBS is bugging you, try to stay calm (even if I know so well it's so hard to do so at times).

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:14 am

Hi Dobies,

I agree with the others. It does sound like your stomach upset was from the food that you ate. Don't let your fears get the best of you on your vacation. I agree with Nikki - drink lots of water! We know how anxiety can just take over. The "what ifs" can really make your mind race. As hard as it is, you can't worry about what can happen on Monday. More times than not, the "what ifs" that we stress about and have panic about, never happen. We wind up bringing on unnecessary anxiety. Try to eat more bland today, drink lots of water and enjoy the remaining time with your family. Also, don't let your husband's reaction get to you. You can't control his reactions either. Just try to focus on what you can control, that being how you eat today and how you can enjoy your day with your family. You will be fine. Don't let the anxiety, take over.

We are all here for you,
Lisa

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:39 pm

I'm sorry your feeling unwell, much less in BEAUTIFUL Myrtle beach! I live about an hour and half from there, around Fort Bragg. And my husband and I are originally from Texas! And my husband is also leaving Monday for an extended period of time...How funny- and strange lol

I'm gonna have to agree with the others on this one! I think it's he change in food your consuming while on vacation that is causing your symptoms. Of course, I would want to divulge myself in worry and angst as well. C diff is no fun. But I bet your fine :) don't let this ruin your trip and time with family! Eat a little blander and healthier, consume lots of water- it's just good for your entire body in general but especially your gut. The nerves will only make your BMs worse if your anything like me.

As for your husbands reaction- mine has done the same thing a time or two. Mind you, my husband has been very helpful and supportive throughtout majority of my infection and healing. He's my best friend and I rely on him for everything, probably more than I should to be honest lol but he's given me the same reaction as yours as well. I can't blame him- there's been times I had symptoms that I freak out about and made the situation way harder on myself than it really should have been. But on the other hand, he doesn't know what it's REALLY like lol Lord bless them

I'm sure after a while of eating your usual way your stomach will adjust back to normal! I hope you feel better soon! Said a prayer for you!

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:25 pm

Thanks for being here for me everybody! I'm drinking lots of water and haven't eaten anything too off the wall today so hopefully that'll help. I haven't had diarrhea yet on our trip, but have been going to the bathroom a couple of times a day but I'm having the feeling down there like I need to go. It's kind of sore too and I hope it's not my hemorrhoid coming back. Although I'd rather have that instead of C Diff! Ugh! I'll check back later or tomorrow but I wanted to say thanks again for helping and understanding. Love you guys!!!
Edit to add: Jackie, we live in Pittsboro NC. We love it but wish family was closer to us. Thanks for the prayers also everyone. I pray for all of you as well every night! XO!

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:28 pm

Dobies:
Spicy food and Advil - yikes!! I think you did a number on yourself. Keep drinking lots of water and take some Mylanta or Tums to calm your stomach after you eat. I doubt that you did any permanent damage - it just feels like it. Been there - done that! Unfortunately, the recovery from this disease takes awhile for a lot of us and trying to resume a normal diet may take awhile. Go slow and take it easy on your poor gastric system.
Good luck and aloha,
Anne

ppp67
Regular Contributor

Postby ppp67 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:45 pm

spicy food does it to me too.
And the effects can last for days! So be good to yourself.

One thing I like -- and my stomach seems to like -- is museli + plain yogurt (no sugar added).
It's simple but I feel really good afterwards. If you can handle it, try it.
And what others have said above -- drink lots of water too. That always feels good too.
Coffee and alcohol are diuretic so maybe that's why they seem to cause me pain too.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:06 pm

Well crap! I forgot to mention most of the pain was in my upper/middle like around the navel area. I was diagnosed with mild gastritis/GERD last January. I was told not to take a PPI but told Zantac was ok. Do you think it would be safe to take Zantac in addition to more water for awhile to see if things calm down? I trust my doc but I have been so petrified of antacids because of increased risk of C Diff! But I did take it last night and do take Tums sometimes. Thanks for any additional info!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Dobies2,
We all have "off days" and usually blame ourselves. Maybe it is something you ate and maybe not. We have to stop blaming ourselves. Do men do that?? Usually NOT. I can't count the number of times I blamed myself on my bad days.

Take it easy for a couple of days and then get back out there. I will bet you will be OK. We call these days "bumps" in the road.

Take care of you.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:37 am

Thanks Bobbie.
I slept a bit better last night. I ended up taking Zantac 150 last night. My stomach is still not right. I hate my family is leaving today and I'm very sad about that but I'm ready to go home and be in my own bed and to get out of the extreme heat and humidity. I can't take that as well as I used to. I think I'm just exhausted because I really only slept well one night. thanks again everyone! XO!
Edit: My stomach and chest hurt worse after getting up. I took some Tums but no relief yet! Ugh. Can gastritis can cause pain like this? It kind of feels like burning indigestion type pains. Does anyone know if it can take Zantac awhile to work? I'm scared I'll have to take a PPI or something! Thanks!

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:23 am

Zantac usually works fast so if it isn't helping and your pain is in your chest you might want to check that out. Don't want you to panic but stomach and chest pains can point to other things, like a heart attack etc. If you are really having pain in the chest and antacids and Zantac aren't helping I think you should at the very least call your Dr. Don't know your age or health conditions but better safe than sorry. Hope you get some relief today and feel better. Prayers for you and all who suffer so much with anxiety, that can cause the chest and stomach pain also. Let us know how you do.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:01 am

Thanks Getwellsoon! I'm feeling better after eating and taking another Tums. I'm 39 by the way. Although as we all know age doesn't seem to be as big of a factor as it used to be with health issues! I have been diagnosed with mild gastritis and GERD. I remember my GI put that on my chart. I'm going to try Tums and Zantac for a few days and eating crackers in between meals and work on calming my anxiety since that makes everything worse! I had a small crying fit this morning and I know that churns acid, so NOT good!
I also wonder if part of my feeling woozy is from driving around a lot and look at the ocean so much that it's kind of like a seasick type feeling, if that makes sense? I have another bad headache but it's so hot here and I'm exhausted! My hubby isn't happy about me wanting to go home today but I'm ready for my own bed and to get back to my regular schedule.

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:10 am

My sister has chronic stomach irritation, and she has said for years that apples help. I tried it once when I had a bad episode and it actually worked for me also. (I found out about 10 years ago that I have a bizarre reaction to both classes of GER medications - prilosec/zantac- cause my white blood count to fall, so I don't use them any more). Here is a link to apples/GER:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/30092 ... ux-apples/

patticake
New User

Postby patticake » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:24 am

I too cannot take any amt of probiotics...I also take a shot glass of kifer when I feel I can.....Just wanted to add that Advil and aspirin
both give me gassy D.....I only take tylenol from here on in.....but as I posted earlier my calcium is my savior right now...

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”