Can't seem to win

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Can't seem to win

Postby seekingcure » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:22 pm

As some of you may know, I had FMT on June 5th. It didn't go as well as I had hoped and I lost a good portion of it almost immediately upon waking up. After a rocky start with diarrhea for the first week afterwards, things began to slowly firm up, though never back to what I would call normal; but I was hanging in there, eating my fiber and resting as much as possible. Then Sunday, the dreaded UTI struck. What horrible timing! It really could not be worse. I dropped a urine sample off for culture on Monday and am still awaiting results; but, because I have been through this so many times before, I went ahead and started Macrodantin 50 mg. every six hours today. The urologist had actually told me to go ahead and start on it. I cringe every time I have to take one, but the UTI seems to be responding to it already. I tried herbal remedies, d-mannose, Cranactin , Cystex, etc first and they were not working and it was definitely getting worse. With me, the longer I let it go, the harder it is to get rid of it and I want to take the shortest course of medication possible. Then I hope to go back on my Macrobid 50 mg. every night as a preventative. The doctor who did the FMT did not want me to take any antibiotics or probiotics for at least a month (actually she never wanted me to take antibiotics again, but that's not even reasonable with recurrent UTI's that I have).

I also dropped off a stool sample for c-diff and that came back negative, which would be great news if I weren't having to take this antibiotic now. It will take a miracle for the c-diff not to come back, so that is what I'm praying for!

I'm extremely frustrated and tired of it all!
Bea

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Re: Can't seem to win

Postby ResearchGrandma » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:02 pm

It would seem that FT would put a person at risk for UTI with fecal material probably accidentally getting to where it should not be while you are still sedated.

august14
Regular User

Postby august14 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:02 pm

I'm sorry. :(

Is there any chance your doctor will put you on vanco already? I know if I go on a full course of antibiotics I'm supposed to go on 4x/day vanco for the whole course, then possibly a week later, per my infectious disease doctor. I'm just going down to 1/day but have preventative macrobid and if I take that I'm supposed to bump up to 2-3/day.

Hope you are taking probiotics, and I hope it works!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:34 pm

I would not take vanco along with this or the FMT would have been for nothing. For me, the surest way to get a relapse was to take the vanco. Macrodantin is not a high offender and hopefully with taking probiotics and drinking your kefir, if you still drink it, will prevent a relapse. I am praying for you. Let us know what happens.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:50 pm

I'm praying for you too, Bea. You must be so frustrated to have to deal with a UTI at the worst possible timing. Try to stay positive. It doesn't necessarily mean that you will definitely relapse. Stay strong and take one day at a time. Try not to worry about what hasn't happened yet, as hard as that is to do. I know easier said than done.

Hugs to you,
Lisa

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:28 pm

Bea, I am sending positive thoughts and hope that you will not have a relapse. I can totally relate to the fear though. I am totally freaking out about a pimple/bump that I have on my neck fearing another staph infection. I put bactroban on it hoping it will help - the thought of having to take oral antibiotics make me go to the bathroom right away!

Hang in there and hope that you can cure the UTI without any troubles.

teresajo103
Regular Contributor

Postby teresajo103 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:08 am

Oh bea.... I am so sorry about the uti. Girl you talked.me thru some.of.the worse times of my whole.life. I am here girl....if you need to talk just pm....I will be checking it. I hope all goes.Well.....just remember it only takes.a.small amount of slurry to.do lots of good. I will say a prayer for you tonite.....feel better my dear friend.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:32 am

Hang in there Bea. You've really been having a rough go of it lately. Hopefully now with the FMT, you'll be able to get back to good health. I've noticed that several of our posters have mentioned that they got a UTI after a FMT. I wonder if there is a connection. The Macrobid is a low offender and drink lots and lots of water. Why can't you take probiotics? I would think that we be advisable to increase your good bacteria. I'm sending good thoughts your way for a quick recovery and no more battles with the beast. Take care.
Aloha,
Anne

Highland5
New User

Postby Highland5 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:09 am

Hi Bea. The FMT must have done it's job and you now have a bunch of new bacteria that can help keep the spores in check as you take the antibiotics. Wishing you the best!

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:33 am

Prayers that you feel better and get over this UTI with no reoccurence of CDiff. Hang in there, we are pulling for you.
CAROL

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:41 pm

I'm sorry your now having to deal with the UTI. I know how frustrating that can be! But with lots of hope,faith, and prayer I bet your FMT will take hold and you will be back to good soon! Stay positive and I will be praying for you!

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Can't seem to wint

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:59 pm

Know just how you feel, Bea, as am in same situation.

Feel better.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:07 pm

I took macrobid three weeks after getting off antibiotics for cdiff and did not relapse. Was on florastor with it as well. Praying for you!! I know my day with antibiotics is coming and I just pray that cdiff stays away!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:03 pm

Bea, having second PT session for UTIs - Kegal muscles. Will let you know more then.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:13 pm

Thank you all for the positive thoughts and prayers. It means so much to know that there are people who care! I am not taking any c-diff antibiotics along with the Macrobid, because my thinking was the same as yours, Beth. I don't want to wipe out any good that I might have gotten from the FMT. I will just have to deal with c-diff if it recurs and I'm thinking of trying to get Dificid this time, if I need it, with help from the assistance program hopefully. That treatment would be my best chance of saving some of the good bacteria. I am also taking s. boulardii, VSl-3, primadophilus optima women's and drinking my homemade kefir, eating fermented pickles and sauerkraut every day. I was trying to leave off probiotics and antibiotics as the FMT doctor had recommended, but, in retrospect, I wish I had gone back on the Macrobid within a few days afterwards. Maybe I could have avoided this infection. Now that I'm on the Macrobid, I figure I can use all the help I can get so I've added back the probiotics. This is really just trial and error, so we will see what the outcome is.

Anne, the reason the FMT doctor gave for not taking probiotics for a month was that they could interfere with the new bacteria, but she did give me the go ahead to have my fermented foods and kefir, which I have been doing since the day of the FMT. They have a lot of good bacteria and beneficial yeasts, as well as digestive enzymes and vitamins (particularly B vitamins) but are much more varied in strains than commercial supplements. Maybe it's not good to have too much of any one particular strain of bacteria and that's the reason for not taking the supplements. I really don't know.

Research Grandma and Anne, I had the same idea about the bacteria from the FMT getting in the wrong place so we rushed back to the hotel and I took a quick shower before we checked out and headed home. Fortunately, they were very nice and extended our checkout time from noon to 1 p.m.

Bobbie, I have an appointment with my urologist Monday (which was scheduled six months ago) and I plan to ask him about PT. I'm willing to try anything.

I am still waiting for the results of the culture (they never called me back today), but the Macrobid is working. My test strips show barely detectable WBC's and no to trace blood now, which is an immense improvement. I will keep you all posted. And, again, thank you for your advice, prayers and positive thoughts.
Bea

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”