It's been a while, and I just need to vent

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: It's been a while, and I just need to vent

Postby beth22 » Sat May 02, 2015 12:13 am

That stomach virus must be all over the country. My 93 year old MIL had it start on Monday with vomiting and D all day. I thought for sure she would end up in ER. Her caretakers had it a couple of weeks before and another one this week as well. She stayed home all week - had it for about 5 days as well. MIL is doing better, but the D lasted for a few days as well and she is normally on the C side. I am wondering if this is norovirus as it seems to be such a strong strain. I hope you and your daughter get over it soon and can enjoy this weekend.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sat May 02, 2015 1:27 am

I almost wonder if I could have actually had that virus and my c-diff test was a false positive. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around how suddenly it came on. I was fine that morning and sick as a dog and bleeding rectally just a few hours later. Does anyone know if a virus would cause a WBC of 15,800?

Lisa, I hope you and your daughter are on the mend now. I used to give my kids a probiotic called "Lactinex granules" way back in the 1980's when they had to take antibiotics. This was back before probiotics were popular. They always seemed to help mine get back to normal quicker. If your daughter is nauseated, the kefir may not go down so easily, but maybe you could try some Culturelle for kids or another children's probiotic. Run it by her pediatrician.
Bea

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 02, 2015 2:31 am

I gave my child the Lactinex years ago too, but it gave her D because she is lactose intolerant. Ask your doctor before giving her a probiotic. There are ones that are specifically for children. If she is not lactose intolerant, then there are more to choose from.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 02, 2015 2:34 am

Bea, I have not heard of a virus causing a high WBC, only bacteria, but that is a good question to ask the doctor. Maybe you did get the virus and it triggered a relapse of the c diff with all the D you had. My MIL had non-stop D all day Monday along with vomiting. I'm really surprised that she did not wind up in the ER, but the caretakers kept giving her Pedialyte. I had an intestinal virus back in 2010, about 6 or 7 months after I had FMT and I wound up testing positive too. But, by the time I got the test results, the D had subsided. I only took Pepto and got better. So, it is possible. But, it sounds like your symptoms were worse.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat May 02, 2015 3:14 am

Many things can cause a high WBC including a virus AND stress!
Its a symptom not a diagnosis and must be looked at alongside all the other symptoms.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/high ... m-20050611

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 02, 2015 3:19 am

I gave my younger son Lactinex too. Hope you are feeling better, Bea. Know you got sick really fast. Could it have been the other antibiotic you took for a UTI? Can't remember name. Whenever, I am doing well and feeling secure, WHAM.

Weather here is beautiful. All the trees are flowering.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sat May 02, 2015 4:54 pm

Thank you everybody for your replies and feedback! Before reading your comments on the children's probiotics, I gave my daughter a little kefir this morning and she tolerated it fine, thank goodness. I am keeping her on a very bland diet today. So far no D, thank God. She is actually hungry and wants to eat things that she can't right now. She's actually driving me crazy! Lolol I gave in to her last night and gave her a little pastina with a drop of butter and an ice pop. That sent her to the bathroom with terrible D. Luckily, it's only been one terrible episode per day. I'm sticking to the BRAT diet today despite all of her tantrums for snacks. Lol.

Whatever this stomach bug is, it's terrible. It's definitely not a 24 hr thing. Bea. I wonder if you had a bug too. I've heard from several people now, including my daughter's pediatrician, that a lot of people have had this bug in my area. I don't know about the WBC elevation, but I was running a fever last week when I had it, and I can't remember the last time I had a fever. I didn't even run a fever with c-diff, despite having severe chills. I tell you though, the first day that I was feeling ill and started with the D was definitely similar to how I felt with c-diff. I was so scared it was back. I thank God that it wasn't.

I really hope you feel better soon, Bea. Stay positive and you will get through this again!

Thank you all again!
Lisa

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sat May 02, 2015 4:57 pm

Beth - I'm so glad your MIL is doing better too! Thank God she fought through it well!

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”