It's been a while, and I just need to vent

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

It's been a while, and I just need to vent

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:10 pm

Hi everybody,

I am about 5+ months now in recovery. I've been doing pretty good overall. However, every couple of weeks, I seem to get IBS issues. My stomach has been horrible today. It hasn't been this bad since early recovery. I am so very nauseous and just can't eat. I have gone D about 3-4 times. I ate spinach last night, so I always expect it to pretty much come out undigested, since that has always been the case since c-diff, but I never had pain before. I woke up today with pains and completely nauseous. I also had an Emergen -C drink last night because my throat was scratchy. I'm thinking that maybe the spinach and the vitamin C drink was just too much. Of course, because of the nausea and frequency of D, I am starting to panic a little. I've been trying to stay pretty positive throughout the whole recovery, but today is my daughter's birthday, and I'm sick of feeling sick on days that matter. I just feel so depressed today that my stomach is acting up. I'm having family over tonight for pizza and cake, and of course, I can't eat any of it. I never had any stomach issues before c-diff, and it makes me so mad that I do now. I know I shouldn't complain, because so many of you had a much longer and harder time getting over this illness. Today was just a true reminder of how I felt when I was sick with c-diff, and it has brought me down and made me nervous. I know that I am feeding into it and need to snap out of it, especially because it's my daughter's birthday. It just makes me feel better to be able to come to this site and just vent because I know you all truly understand. Thank you for listening.

-Lisa

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Re: It's been a while, and I just need to vent

Postby getwellsoon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:09 pm

So sorry you are having a bad day and on your daughters BD. Yep, the spinach probably did it. Our guts take a long while to heal and just when we think we can relax bam, it hits us again with a bad day. I'm sure you are fine but you know if things go downhill as far as watery D and you start to feel very ill its Dr. time but it is probably just a bad gut day. It takes time, you will get there so hang on and just eat what you can and enjoy the day. don't let CDiff spoil any more days for you. Can you take something for the nausea? I had that symptom post CDiff for a long time also. I hope you feel better tomorrow and try to have a nice day today.
CAROL

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:23 pm

Thanks so much, Carol. I do have anti-nausea meds that were prescribed to me when I had active c-diff. They really didn't help much, but I guess it's worth giving them a try. Things really aren't improving. I had maybe 3 more watery D's since my earlier post. I'm getting really nervous, which is probably making the situation worse. I'm hoping it's just a bug or an off day. After 5 months of taking probiotics and eating well, and not taking any antibiotics, I can't see how this can be c-diff again. I'm just so scared, because I never had an off day like this one. I physically feel ill. I'll see what tomorrow brings. I pray for improvement.

Thank you so much,
Lisa

teresajo103
Regular Contributor

Postby teresajo103 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:27 pm

Lisa...I am 9 weeks post fmt today. I just wanted to tell you that spinach is a killer for me. It upsets my entire system....I really don't know why either. I started trying a few things after fmt but spinach is one thing I can't eat yet. Salad made me really sick but I have given each thing in that salad a try separately......spinach is the only thing my insides thru a fit about. I am still very very careful with lettuce as it tends to cause problems off and on. The vitamin c I take could be a factor....but my urologist says it is good to prevent uti. I also take vsl #3 and I recently started taking a probiotic that I ordered I can't tell you the name because it is in Japanese (lol). I take ALIVE for women too. I never took supplements before c diff.....but my diet is so iffy I think I need them right now. I have had some ups and downs but for the most part....spinach seems to be my kryptonite right now. I still am very careful....but I plan to try and be a little more adventurous when I make it to 3 months. I want a chili dog with mustard and cheese....but it may be a while before I can do that. I did try lasagne a few days ago....it was yummy and I had minimal heart burn but no real reprisals. Feel better real soon .....I am off to the pool for a swim....see you later.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:37 pm

Thank you so much, Teresajo for your reply. Spinach and lettuce are definitely not digested well by me at all since c diff. I still take 1-VSL 3 and 1-Florastor every day, and drink kefir. I actually think I picked up a bug because I am now running a fever. I took 2- Advil and it helped calm the chills. It's scary because I know that I felt feverish when I had c-diff, and I can't help but question is it back. However, the good news is that the D subsided and my appetite returned a bit. I was able to eat toast and a banana. My stomach seems a lot more settled than earlier, which makes me think I got some sort of stomach virus. I guess if things improve by tomorrow, I'll know it's not c diff. I am keeping optimistic because I have been in recovery for 5 months and I would think that a relapse is unlikely at this point. I'm praying that's the case anyway. Thanks so much for all of your feedback. Hope you had a great swim! :-)

Lisa

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:11 pm

Vitamin C is really hard on the GI tract. I can eat creamed spinach, but would not dare try vitamin C. Some people have a hard time with it even without having had c diff. I never used to, but vitamins give me GI upset. If you think this is a bug, then I would not worry too much about what you ate, because you would have gotten the bug anyway and you will have to try the spinach another time. Next time, just eat a bite or two and see what happens. I hope you feel better soon.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:55 pm

Lisa: I saw "Spinach" and had a very bad memory of the wonderful chicken salad with spinach and lettuce I ate post C. Diff (in fact 6+ months post C. Diff) and was absolutely miserable for 3 days. In fact, it has been 2 years and one month since C. Diff and I still can't eat very many vegetables. If I do, it is in small amounts. The only vegetables that didn't bother me are and were gourd type - zuccini, eggplant, etc. They seem to be more digestible. I am just speaking for myself, but I do better on fruit, except citrus types. I still pretty much stick to apples, pears, peaches, some berries, and melon (bananas are gassy). Some people on the board have no problem consuming pretty much everything they want within a few months after recovery, but many of us (including me) still have issues. I am trying to reintroduce yogurt (the only probiotic I can tolerate and only in small amounts), but I'm determined. Beth's suggestion of a bite or two at a time is a good one. I hope you start feeling better soon. Enjoy your daughter's birthday and vent anytime.
Aloha,
Anne

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:32 am

I am 6 months post Dificid and also continue with the IBS, some days are great, others not good. I have to watch my diet carefully. I do eat spinach but have to cook it really well, almost mushy. I am still eating a limited diet adding things slowly. I tried Pizza and then felt bad for 2 days.
I also have the nausea on and off and use the "Sea Bands" which do help, you may want to try them.

Sorry this happened on your daughter's Birthday....its so frustrating, fighting to put this behind us and be well

Hope you feel better soon!!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:56 am

Thank you so much, Beth, Anne and NanciT. Your feedback is all very helpful. This board always makes me feel better. I try to stay positive, but days like yesterday are just so frustrating. I never know if it is IBS, food that I ate, a bug or God forbid c-diff again. I am staying away from leafy greens for quite some time now. I will try small bites eventually. I have never been able to digest them since c diff. I am pretty convinced that this is a virus though. I actually had pains all night and vomited. I have been running a low fever as well. The D has subsided, thank goodness. My nerves are eased somewhat because if it were c diff again, I doubt that the D would subside. I also never vomited with c diff.

Again, I really appreciate all of you. Thank you so much!
Lisa

kwiatek7
Regular User

Postby kwiatek7 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:49 am

Hi Lisa,

I am sorry that this happened on your daughter’s birthday but it sounds like a bug. I been sick over 5 times this winter and it was due to cold/flu/bug so definitely this year and part of last was hard (and in general a lot of other people have been sick this winter). Each time I was sick it brought me back to when I first started getting sick with C Diff so it was a scary time. We are kind of scarred after dealing with C diff and we will have these stinky thoughts of having it back again. Our immune system is not as great after antibiotics so it doesn’t help. We cannot allow C Diff. to overtake our life and our thoughts; but it’s easier said than done. With time you will become stronger. I am 10 months post C Diff. I am still very limited with what I can eat but I rather watch what I eat than suffer (it’s hard though and it’s a constant battle not to be able to eat whatver i want and without thinking about it). You need a food diary so you can keep track of how you fell after what you eat. Slowly and in small portions you can introduce things into your diet. I hope you’re having a better day today!

Agnes

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:57 am

Thanks so much, Agnes. C diff definitely messes with our minds. As soon as I get any stomach issue, I instantaneously think of c diff. I had caught several colds in the beginning of recovery because c diff must bring our immune systems down. I was petrified of needing an antibiotic, but luckily they were all just cold viruses. My stomach seems to be a little better today, but still having pains that come and go. I'm hoping this goes away soon. It's such a yucky feeling. I agree that a food diary would be helpful. I was keeping one and then slacked off when I was doing better. But, I'm going to start keeping one again. Even before this bug, I was having more days of IBS than usual. I was eating 90% gluten free, but have been slacking with that too. I notice with myself that if I start to feel good for a period of time, I will cheat on my diet and eat things I probably shouldn't. I got to get back on the bandwagon, and eat better again.

Thank you,
Lisa

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri May 01, 2015 8:09 am

Well I guess I did have a stomach bug last week because my daughter has one this week. My God, when will this end?!?! My daughter has it much worse - vomited all day Monday, slept all day Tuesday, was better Wed, but now diarrhea started yesterday with pains. This is the longest stomach bug ever! 5 days and still going for her! 5 days for me last week! My skin is going to fall off from all of the bleaching and cleaning. And you know how it is with a 4 year old. Let's put it this way - the car on the way home from school when I picked her up sick on Monday was destroyed! And then my bed sheets, comforter and rug all a victim! Omg! My germaphobe anxiety is in full throttle! I just pray this is the same bug as what I had or I'm probably doomed again! I'm still not right from last week. I feel so bad for my daughter though. This is her very first stomach virus, and boy is it a bad one! Ok, I'm done complaining. It's just so exhausting to deal with stomach issue after stomach issue. But I do know there are worse things in life. Just wanted to vent again!

Lisa

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Fri May 01, 2015 3:27 pm

There is a nasty stomach bug making the rounds and so sorry your family got it. Just keep in mind it will pass and she will hopefully feel better tomorrow. I hate it when the little ones are sick. Glad you got over it and hope you feel better also with each passing day. Clean up as best you can. Steam the inside of the car, I know you can't bleach it. Also just wash in hot water all the linens and it will kill those germs hopefully. Praying all this is much better by the weekend and you all can enjoy it. Hang in there.
CAROL

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri May 01, 2015 6:46 pm

Lisa,

We all understand. It was a bad day on what should have been a good day. C diff just seems to seek those out - nasty little bugs.

I've had c diff 3x and IBS for a long time after each treatmen even a FMT. Eventually it ceased altho I still have off days.

Keep a sheet and cleanup supplies in your car in case of accidents.

I was lucky because I never had nausea but do try the Sea Bands. Heard good things from many of our poster.

Congrats to your for making a difficult day for you a good one for your daughter for her Bday. Way to go, Mom.

Hope you both feel better. Recovery seems to be longer for many now because c diff is more wide spread and has many strains. Lots of stomach bugs out there now besides c diff.

Do not forget - you will recover.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words, Carol and Bobbie. I can't emphasize enough how much I appreciate you guys and everybody on this board. My daughter had a pretty good day today until about an hour ago, when the D came back. I know this is from the stomach virus, but D always causes anxiety for me since c diff. When I spoke to the nurse at the pediatrician's office, she did say there is a nasty stomach bug going around, and my daughter has had all the same symptoms as the others. I am cleaning everything with the health grade wipes. I have washed all of the linens and her clothes in hot water. Just hoping she gets back to normal soon. I wonder if giving her some kefir will help to restore her flora back to normal. I may see if she can handle it.

Thank you again for your kind words and advice.

Have a great weekend! Here in NY, the weather is supposed to be beautiful (finally). It was a loooong winter!

-Lisa

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”