Question about diarrhea day after CT scan!

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Question about diarrhea day after CT scan!

Postby Dobies#1 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:52 am

Yesterday I had an abdominal CT for some lower left abdominal pain. I had to drink some oral contrast and this morning my stools have been really soft but also some pencil thin pieces. I had watery diarrhea shortly after drinking the stuff right before my scan. Does anyone know if this may just be due to the contrast?? Any experience with this? It scares me because this is always how my three bouts of CDiff started. I haven't had any antibioticd since August 2013 and that was Vanco for CDiff! Getting scared! They did give me a steroid when the did the IV contrast because I have Asthma.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Question about diarrhea day after CT scan!

Postby beth22 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:54 pm

You mentioned this in your other post and I answered you there. I got D from the contrast - give it a couple of days.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:20 am

I only had the two soft stools yesterday, but the urge was there until last night. Well this morning when I went to the bathroom my stool was still thin and kind of flakey looking and again the urge is back. When I had my colonoscopy last year the urge persisted for awhile after. The only thing found during the colonoscopy was proctitis but the doctor did biopsies and he said the inflammation was just due to the prep. So he said I have IBS. My bowels have always been sensitive but before CDiff, I knew what foods would bother me, but now it's anybody's guess as to what bothers it! I'm wondering if I'm just extra sensitive from loose stools so the irritation is causing the weird feeling in my butt?! I know we can't give medical advice but I'm just wondering if anyone else has this stuff so long after CDiff? It's been over a year and a half since I finished CDiff treatment. I will ask about the thin stool and urge when they call with the CT results, but do you guys think thin stools and urges are anything to worry about? I'm hoping if it were IBD the scope last year would've shown something. CDiff is also in my head. It always is when my bowels are messed up. Just need some comfort from you guys because nobody else understands how scary things are during ,and well after CDiff! Thanks for any info!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:44 pm

When I had a sigmoidoscopy after c diff and even last year, I got inflammation from the prep too and I had weird stools for a few days. For thin stools, I was told that more fiber is needed in the diet. Some people on the site have had good luck taking Benefiber or Metamucil. There is also a natural fiber called acacia that you can find in health food stores. I would ask your doctor if that is ok for you to take. I do not do well with fiber supplements, but post c diff, I took a little Pepto Bismol with my meal and it helped me a lot.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:55 pm

When I was having thin stools, Citrucel seemed to help me. I like the caplets. Metamucil gave me lots of bloating and gas, but some onsite do better with it or Benefiber. You may have to try them all to see which one agrees with you.
Bea

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:46 pm

I do use Benefiber but only two teaspoons in the morning. Maybe I just need to increase it a bit. I think it's odd that when I have hard stool it doesn't irritate my bottom but soft stool does? I did have a fissure for a long time. Maybe it's coming back and that's what's causing part of the problem. I'll mention it all to my doc but may have to see the rectal surgeon again to evaluate the irritation feeling. Ugh! Thanks for everything. Nobody really understands the stress this brings!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:10 pm

I take 2 TB Benefiber three times a day. Flaxseed oil is supposed to work but check with your doc.

Check with your doc re the fissure. My son had one and had surgery. His doc told him to take Metamucil every day. My son said it was very painful. He was on oral Flagyl for about two weeks. The fissure never came back.

Best to you.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:58 am

Thanks again everyone! The anxiety of my scan results is torture! After having Breast cancer my mind is going to dark places. Plus I'm like what if it's Breast cancer metastasis, a blockage, perforation, colon cancer, Crohn's, etc that's causing the pain?!! Aaarrrgh!!
My husband said if it was a blockage or something that needed immediate attention they would've called me Thursday afternoon or Friday. I'm hoping he's right!! The pain isn't consistent. It comes and goes. Frustrating! Anyway thanks for letting me vent! I'm going to try more Benefiber to see if it will bulk up my stool.

teresajo103
Regular Contributor

Postby teresajo103 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:34 am

Dobies...I really am sorry you are so down. You are going to be okay.....don't let your mind take you there. There have been lots of times I have been where the tests were driving me to tears and I think it makes the situation worse. Find something fun to do. I am going to make some jewelry today....I need to restock the store and it makes me happy. If you don't have a hobby ....get you one....it is therapeutic and productive. :)
Last edited by teresajo103 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:20 am

Thanks Teresa! I'm going to clean the house today and take the dogs for a walk. It's going to be a nice day today.

teresajo103
Regular Contributor

Postby teresajo103 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:27 pm

That's good....you are going to be tired and kind of achey tonite.....but that's ok. I have been off my seat and on my feet for several days and I am achey and tired....but excited that I am making some progress. I just ordered us some lunch....I wanted enchiladas...but I ordered chicken tacos.....they grill the chicken for me....yes I am a little spoiled.:) I have some jewelry orders and the store is low....so I am going to get my fanny busy. Hope you have a good day.....talk to you later ....

Misscshell24
Long Time Contributor

Postby Misscshell24 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:32 pm

When I had a bowel obstruction it was constant intense pain, I was on morphine and dilaudid and still in pain, not able to keep anything down. It was pretty bad. It started as a partial obstruction, the pain didn't start until it was a complete obstruction. It was instant and intense. They saw it with an xray. Of course, everyone is different and might not present with the same symptoms. Just thought this might help ease your mind until the results are in. Hope all is well with the results. Also, I had more frequent bms for a few days after my last ct scan. Hopefully yours has subsided by now. Enjoy your good day!
Michelle

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:06 pm

Thanks again ladies! I didn't get much cleaning done because my hubby wanted to go to a baseball game since it's nice out. We didn't stay long because it actually got a little too warm and I don't do well in the heat anymore.
I actually haven't had the pain the past couple of days. When I do have it, it's mostly in bed at night and it's a stitch type pain. Misschell, what caused your obstruction, if you don't mind me asking? Glad you're ok! So far today my bowels have been a bit better. Stomach is a bit rumbly but it usually is when my anxiety is up. Going to walk the dogs then do some more cleaning and some laundry. The hubby will be gone tomorrow for work but will be back Tuesday. I sure hope I don't get a bad call from my doc if my hubby is gone! Please pray for me. Thanks!

Misscshell24
Long Time Contributor

Postby Misscshell24 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:23 pm

The doctors believe it was caused by the Meckel's diverticulum. It banded around my intestines and caused a similar effect to when you fold a water hose in half. It is extremely rare.

Good luck wth your results. Hopefully you get them tomorrow and all is well. Let us know how it goes.
Michelle

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:55 pm

My father in law had Meckels many years ago. Rare then, rare now. I am tired of "rare" - been rare many times. Would rather be "medium" or normal.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”