Question about diarrhea day after CT scan!

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Misscshell24
Long Time Contributor

Re: Question about diarrhea day after CT scan!

Postby Misscshell24 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:18 pm

Lol, tell me about it! I had four emergency abdominal surgeries in three months. Supposedly all unrelated. What are the odds of that?! Then topped it off with 7+ months of c diff. I'd happily be medium to normal again.
Michelle

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:09 am

My GI nurse called and said the only thing that showed on my CT was a 3.5 cm uterine fibroid. No inflammation or masses anywhere in the GI tract. Liver, gallbladder, pancreas, etc all clear!! So that's good news. Now I have to follow up with my PCP but she won't be in until Thursday. I'm hoping I don't have to have surgery because of the fear of antibiotics. I can't take any hormone treatment for the fibroid though since I had Breast cancer. My periods have stopped due to having chemo,and we don't know if they'll come back or not. I think it's odd the ultrasounds missed the fibroid but I'm trying not to read too much into that. Anyone have any experience with fibroids?

Misscshell24
Long Time Contributor

Postby Misscshell24 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:18 pm

Another one of my surgeries was an ovary torsion and cyst removal. The cyst was 13cm, so was so big it caused the ovary to turn the Fallopian tube and twist around three times. It's very common for women to have cysts, they usually don't cause problems or go away or rupture on their own. It's when they are too large that they cause problems, typically. Uterine fibroids are different, but to my knowledge, a similar principle applies. They are fairly common and can shrink or go away on their own, it's when they get too large that they can potentially cause problems. Yours sounds fairly small, but I'd check with your doc about your concerns and possible monitoring it for size and growth. Glad all other test came back alright.
Michelle

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:31 pm

Thanks! I'm glad the other stuff was clear but still not exactly sure what's causing the intermittent pain. Hoping it's IBS or something related to stress. Hopefully my PCP will call Thursday and maybe give me some more guidance.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:22 am

I had a uterine fibroid years ago. It was contributing to very heavy periods, so I had an endometrial ablation to burn off the lining of my uterus. They did not take the fibroid out. After menopause they shrink. I don't think mine is there anymore. Unless they cause problems, they generally don't take them out as far as I know.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:38 pm

Thanks Beth! My PCP has not called yet. She was gone most of the week last week so I'm sure she was just busy. Anyway, I've had a bit of loose stool at once a day ever since having the scan. It hasn't been watery D yet. However I've had bouts of rumbling and gurgling. A couple of times had some mucus but that's not too unusual for me when my stomach is upset. I'm frustrated thought because typically when my IBS acts up it usually lasts only a day or two. My mind still goes to CDiff and I HATE it!! My GI doc said if the pain was still there he could do another colonoscopy. I had one in November 2013 and it was clear. Only thing it showed were some thin walked hemorrhoids and proctitis but he said the proctitis was from the prep. All biopsies were negative. I don't really want another colonoscopy because I worry the prep will cause CDiff. So, I'm wondering can extremely high stress cause an IBS flare that lasts more than a couple of days? I haven't eaten so well this week. But it seems like when I do try to eat more fruits and veggies they upset my bowels! I had a salad for lunch from Chili's restaurant today and 30 minutes after we got home I had to hurry to the bathroom. Yesterday morning I had a normal stool at the beginning of my BM, but soft at the end. I haven't felt bad but just worried. Like I said I've been in constant fear of CDiff this week! I've also had a couple of canker sores but my GI doc said stress and anxiety can cause those. Any words of wisdom and advice is appreciated!

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:05 pm

I definitely think stress can cause an IBS flare and also the canker sores. I am dealing with a lot of chronic pain issues myself and my mother is in a Rehab hospital at the moment and Im terrified of her getting CDiff. She said she was very nauseous yesterday with D but felt fine later on in the day and is fine today. we all know that CDiff can run rampant through these rehab and nursing homes. I also got a bad fever blister on the side of my mouth and I haven't had one in years so I think it was brought on by stress and worry. You also said you hadn't eaten so well this week so I would chalk it up to that also. Try not to worry. I know its easier said than done and I have to stop and remember my own advice sometimes. I would eat lightly and see if your symptoms ease. I hope you feel better and we are here for you. Try to distract yourself with a book or TV. Let us know how you do.
CAROL

teresajo103
Regular Contributor

Postby teresajo103 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:22 pm

Hey lady bug. I am glad the ct scan was good. I just wanted to tell you that I had a salad last night and it made me pretty sick in just a little while. I am feeling better this evening but I haven't really eaten much today. I have gotten some exercise and now we are just chilling out with the grand monkey. She is hilarious....she keeps me hopping. I sure hope the salad doesn't make you real sick. My thoughts are with you for a good evening. Hugs to you from down home.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:14 pm

Thanks Carol! I usually just don't have it more than once a week. So I get a bit scared and frustrated. I get even more mad that I had Cancer in times like this because I think "if I never would've gotten Clindamycin and Cipro due to having a mastectomy then I would've never gotten CDiff!" Now, I know that's not necessarily true but I never had problems with antibiotics before. Ugh!
Hey Teresa! I haven't had another loose stool tonight so far, but I'm pretty gassy. I hate that I can't just eat what I want anymore!!! Glad you're enjoying that granddaughter! I'll bet she's a doll! I'm glad the scan was clear too but we still don't really know what's causing the pains I get. I'm not too worried yet, but as you know it gets frustrating. Thanks for the hug! Right backatcha!!! I really miss home, especially when I'm having a down day.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:39 pm

Carol,

So sorry about your mom.I would call her rehab and ask for the Head of Infection Control. Explain your experience with c diff and ask they take special precautions with your mother.

Sorry you are still having pain. A dentist and doctor both told me years ago canker sores are from being stressed which affects the immune system. When I am stressed my mouth breaks out - I had perio disease and surgery years ago and osteomylitis in my jaw in 1993 - same year of first bout with c diff. i ground my teeth from stress, broke two teeth and an idiot oral surgeon pulled the wrong tooth, spreading the infection. I had to have bridges and braces - at the age of 52!

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Bobbie, I just want to thank you for all you do on this site! I hate that bowel issues consume my thoughts and it's still happening today. My stomach is still off. We are suppose to be leaving Thursday and I keep thinking I won't be able to go because I usually don't have IBS this many days in a row. I want to ask my PCP to send a stool sample off and test for everything, but I don't know if I could get in with her before Thursday because she only works Monday, Tuesday and Thursday's. My GI nurse said my CT scan didn't show any signs of inflammation that would suggest Crohn's or anything. My scope a little over a year ago was negative too, but it's obvious something's off. My GI doctor said if the CT was negative but I still had the stitch type pain then he could do another colonoscopy, but I'm scared the prep will give me CDiff! My hubby gets tired of me crying over these worries, so that's one reason I come here so much. So, THANKS to you and all the other members. Nobody else understands the fear CDiff causes!!! I hate it!!! Hurry up with a damn cure already!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:47 pm

Maybe you have a touch of some virus. I only get canker sores when I get a virus. I did not know stress can cause them, but it seems logical.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:00 pm

Beth I seem to get them a lot but never really feel sick otherwise when they occur. Sometimes I know why I get them like if I brush my teeth too hard or bite wrong, but other times they just tend to pop up. My GI and PCP said stress can also cause them. Mine only last a few days typically. I'm a bit nervous that my GI wants to possibly do another colonoscopy if I still have the pain eventhough the scan was clear. I hope he's not thinking Cancer or something. Just thinking/venting out loud here. I keep telling myself the scan was clear and my colonoscopy was clean just over a year ago. I'm 38 with no family history. I did have Breast cancer but they say it usually doesn't spread to the colon. My mind is too "busy" today. Sorry! Thanks again to everyone! HUGS!!

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”