UUUUUUUUGGGHHHH! Strep Throat~!

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
kelizah17
New User

UUUUUUUUGGGHHHH! Strep Throat~!

Postby kelizah17 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:52 pm

Ugh! I tested positive for Strep, so freaked out about doing this whole train wreck of 6 months over again... My friend made spaghetti sauce for our dinner last night (which of course I cannot eat), but everyone raved about it. She said she layers flavors, but adding a bit at a time. So today I am layering Bone Broth, Kefir, Probiotic, Vanco and Zithromax... UGH!

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: UUUUUUUUGGGHHHH! Strep Throat~!

Postby Bobbie » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:26 pm

Sounds horrible. MIght have good news for you, however. Although very prone to see diff, I was able to tolerate a Z pack two different times for pneumonia. Others,however, have have developed C diff from it.

Altho I seldom take probotics, I took the probiotic VSL3 both times. I have no idea if it helped or not. Pen VK is usually not a big offender either. See the forum CDI. We have a list of antibiotics there.

Crossing my fingers for you. So sorry you didn't get to ear the lasagna.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:57 pm

So sorry but hang in there. You might do fine with both meds, a lot of people on here have. Hope you get over the strep and feel better soon.
CAROL

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:03 am

Zithromax is not one of the big offenders. I had to take it last year for whooping cough after I had completed 10 days of doxycycline because I got misdiagnosed with bronchitis. I did not relapse from it. I took Pepto Bismol too, but you are on vanco, so that should protect you.

kelizah17
New User

Postby kelizah17 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:08 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I had a reaction to the Vanco, so I am now just doing the Z pac. Two more days. I have had D already, but at least it has only been in the a.m. as I take the Zithromax in the evening. I should try some Pepto as well, didn't think of that. keeping my fingers crossed.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:24 pm

I always took Vanco when II had to take an antibiotic but it did not keep me from developing c diff. I tolerated a z Pak twice. Hope you do the same. I did take VSL3 as I mentioned - no idea if it helped.

We've all have shared the anxiety. you are going through. Damn C diff!!!!

kelizah17
New User

Postby kelizah17 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:12 pm

Well, tonight is my last night of Z Pac. I decided to add some fermented vegetable to my bone broth last night at the recommendation of my nutritionist as she said that there are so much more probiotic punch in a tablespoon of fermented veggies than in most probiotics. And no D this a.m. Weeee! Thanks again for the encouraging words!

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:04 pm

I think your nutritionist is on the right track. I am making homemade kefir and drinking that every day and it seems to be helping me. I also eat Bubbie's brand fermented dill pickles. What kind of fermented veggies are you eating? Do you make your own? I would like to add some different fermented foods because the kefir and pickles seem to help my IBS. Glad you seem to be doing better.
Bea

kelizah17
New User

Postby kelizah17 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:26 am

Hi Bea..

I am starting with red cabbage, because I really like it and so miss fermented stuff since I have been ill with this. I am planning on starting to ferment veggies on my own with supplies from pickle it... http://www.pickl-it.com/ I was amazed at how the D stopped. I just always have eaten fermented things and never thought much about it until now and since I haven't been able to eat so many things. My nutritionist person said that it is easy to ferment and that veggies are way better than any type of milk based ferment. But I think that everyone's body is so different, so when things work for your body, go for it..

Kelly

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:24 am

Thanks for the link. I've been wanting to try fermenting my own veggies also but have been a little intimidated by the idea. The jars would probably make it easier. So far the only thing I've been able to find in my local stores is sauerkraut and fermented dill pickles. Red cabbage sounds good. Is there a brand of that you can buy somewhere?

I have been reading about fermented foods on the following website that you might also find interesting: http://www.culturedfoodlife.com
Bea

kelizah17
New User

Postby kelizah17 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:59 am

I just bought some at my local co-op here in Minnesota. The brand is local made in Wisconsin. I would bet you can buy some things on line, but do you have any sustainable farm type people around you that could maybe help you find them? Or you could make your own! I am going to do it, but am doing to keep going slowly until I feel I can tolerate more fermented stuff.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”