Doctor follow up....terrible attitude

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Doctor follow up....terrible attitude

Postby NanciT » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:27 pm

This is my second GI and very few around here to pick from..He has seen me through this C Diff but really upset me today!!

I went in with a Positive attitude after being 3 1/2 months post Dificid and finally starting to feel like myself. I am still having issues with food.
He came in and said" My usual patient has 10 days of treatment for C diff and they are fine" "Your case has lasted a year". I was shocked by this, as if he was bothered to be seeing me. I told him all the positive's and then he said" You may never feel OK again, your gut has been through alot and you might continue to have IBS issues". I walked out of there feeling terrible. Where did compassion go? I felt like I was going to die when I could not get rid of this, it has been a nightmare. The medical community is just not educated on this and the patients suffer! I am looking or a new GI

teresajo103
Regular Contributor

Re: Doctor follow up....terrible attitude

Postby teresajo103 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:51 pm

Girl....I dang sure would be. My pcp has been my doctor for 20 years and as soon as this is over...I will have another doctor. He has messed this up on so many levels. My gi doctor is awesome but he is only good for the gut issues. I am sorry you had such a bad experience today makes me sad. I hope you can find some one with brains and a bedside manner. I am not totally sure that is possible. Seems like most of them are in such a hurry they forget we are people. It has certainly been my experience that if they can't fix it with a pill....they get frustrated and push you off on someone else. You will get better....we all will eventually.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:01 am

Some doctors don't seem to think before they speak. When I first had c diff and kept getting relapses, I went to another GI for a second opinion and he told me without even batting an eye that "you can always get your colon removed if this keeps up". Needless to say I did not go back and I still have my colon. I guess you should look for another doctor. I'm sure they are not all like that.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:34 am

Don't let it throw you. With all the new info and statistics coming out I'm sure all Drs. will be taking this very seriously going forward. Find a new Dr. and don't stress. My PCP was the greatest and sure is, listened to every last symptom and never once dismissed me. I love him and dread when he retires. He is 66. Hope you continue to heal and keep coming here, we get it and will support you.
CAROL

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:22 am

Thanks for all the replies, it really does help. I thought the same thing about the most recent news reports, these doctors have to get it together. I hope with the most recent information(although it's from 2011) they see this is far more widespread. I also read about the most resistant strain which is what I believe I have and clearly my doctor does not know about this.
I am also happy to see this moving from"nursing homes" because so many of us have not even been in one! It's out there and it sounds like the CDC is finally taking notice.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:14 am

Many young healthy people developed c diff. I was one. I developed c diff aftera doctor I liked and respected prescribed a new antibiotic called Vantin - now rarely used because of all the c diff it caused.

A pharmacist at Mayo told me years ago a new drug is not really tested
until it's been in the general population for a couple of years.

Throughout the years, doctors have alarmed me, helped me, and scared the hell out of me. Several have been unbelievably kind and caring.

Remember, doctors give us an educated, experienced, expensive guess. One GI dropped me as a patient after almost 20 years because my case was too complicated. Thanks, Doc.

My sons' pediatrician, who had been with us for over 14 years, dropped them as patients when my younger son had c dif in 1979, and I went against his wishes and took my son to another doctor, who saved his life.

I have a little faith left in the profession with a few exceptions. But what's our choice? We need doctors. There is an old saying - can't live with them, can't live without them. Unfortunately, many of us feel we have done something wrong when a doctor is upset with us. I think it must be a female sort of thing and a misguided respect for authority.

I'm sorry you had a bad day, Nancy. We understand how you feel and hope for a better day for you tomorrow.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”