So torn on what to do.

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
an0chick
Regular User

So torn on what to do.

Postby an0chick » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:36 pm

Hello,
I'm one of those people that have unfortunately have been "diagnosed" (more like they've played the guessing game)... I thought I had a UTI...so I went to the doctor was told I had white blood cells and trace blood... that it was probably a uti...however I actually probably didn't have one and the doctor thinks maybe I have interstitial cystitis bc my urine culture never grows bacteria. But I started having back pain so they treated me with a Rocephin shot and Bactrim.... (that was on Friday) On Sunday I woke up with watery D that wouldn't stop (I was going every time I had to pee) I ended up going to the ER bc I thought it was so severe (I ended up going 12 times on Friday). /: At the ER the doctor suggested that the antibiotics had wiped out the good and bad bacteria and that it caused me for an antibiotic resistant bacteria to overgrow. They gave me a prescription for Flagyl and sent me on my way without even testing my stool even though I requested a stool test but they deemed it unnecessary. On Monday I still had watery D and a lot of tummy gurgling. .. and started the antibiotic in the afternoon (I ended up going 10 times all watery D). On Tuesday morning I started with watery D again then an hour later I had soft thin stool that was formed but dissolved fairly quickly(that was after 3doses of Flagyl) and went again which again was formed and somewhat thin but very easily dissolved. So I had an appt to see an ID doctor for parasite testing bc all of my intestinal woes started after a trip out of the country. Well I went to my appointment and I explained to him what had happened. ... and he again guessed C.diff and prescribed me more days of Flagyl although he didn't test me either! Since then I've had tummy rumbles, back pain that I hadn't really ever experienced before. .. and this heaviness in my colon. ..as if I need to have a bm...and sometimes I do. ..other times I don't. Well today I went to my gastro and he says that we don't know if I have c.diff which is very reasonable. .he says that I should just take 2 doses of Flagyl for 7 days....and ordered cdiff stool testing and ova & parasite testing for tomorrow. .... however I'm terrified of stopping the Flagyl...... I understand that I wasn't tested but I've never had watery D or pain like this ever before. .... but on the other hand I didn't have any blood or mucus in my stools... I mean there's a sheen to them but I don't know if it's mucus... so I'm very very torn about stopping the Flagyl or finishing it completely. /: Any suggestions? Could I really have Cdiff without blood? Or was that bc I only allowed the D for 1day? I have read here that cdiff only causes 20% of diarrhea related to antibiotics. .... what causes the other 80%?

P.S. I'm now experiencing neuropathy symptoms with the Flagyl ....../: I really want to stop taking it. ..but I'm scared. .... my bms are still very very easily dissolve and today they were mushy.... like it would pile on. And also can urgent care test for C.diff right away?

roy
Administrator

Re: So torn on what to do.

Postby roy » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:31 am

Follow your gastro Dr's advice
If you do have c.diff and you relapse then at least they will be able to do the test and get a true diagnosis
I am locking this thread because the questions here have been asked by you in many other posts.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”