Any natural ways to cure an ear infection?

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
diane
Long Time Contributor

Any natural ways to cure an ear infection?

Postby diane » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:26 am

Ok I'm little nervous. My daughters ear is really hurting and came on all of the sudden. I am nervous she is getting an ear infection.. Any advice on medicine if it is? She is allergic to alot of meds so she is limited. Any one have any natural remedies??? I hope you post asap if you do so I can get started first thing in the morning..

Thanks

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:50 am

Diane,
See FAQ-Resp. Infections. From what I've read, docs. aren't treating ear infections with antibiotics as frequently as in the past. Many are caused by viruses and not bacteria. I've also read there are antibiotic ear drops that aren't absorbed into the system. One poster posted in FAQ that she used warm oil in her children's ears. I believe heat is suppposed to help. Afrin 24 hr. (extra moisturing) nasal spray is supposed to open up the Eustachian tubes, but do check with your daughter's ped. and double check with pharmacist. You shouldn't use it more than 3 or 4 days, or it will have a rebound effect.

Once you have C. diff., you become paranoid about antibiotics for you and "yours." It's only smart to be cautious esp. if your daughter has had problems with meds. in the past.

How are you doing?

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:18 am

Bobby,
Thanks for the quick reply!!!. I will check it out and look. She was on ciproflaxin for her ear infection many years ago which was an ear drop. Maybe its ok then if its just given in the ear? I am so afraid of her getting c diff since I have had it almost 2 years.

I have just started today 1 day on and 5 days off and will do that for 6 weeks. I am praying I can this is the farthest I've gotten yet!!!:)

Lauren
Administrator

Postby Lauren » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:06 am

Diane - there was a medical study done in the UK a year or so ago that showed kids given antibiotics for ear infections got better on average one day sooner than kids who weren't given anything.

Bobbie is right. The educated ones aren't giving antibiotics nearly so often as they used to. Instead, they recommend Advil for the pain, which generally only lasts a day or two.

I had a whopper of a double ear infection myself two years ago. It lasted 7 weeks. The physician's assistant and the GP both said that I must take an anitbiotic. I then went to an ENT who told me if it was him, he'd probably pay no attention to it until about 6 weeks into the infection, at which point if it hadn't gone away he would begin to wonder if maybe he should do something. I laughed and did exactly that. By six weeks, it was beginning to break up a bit so I waited it out.

By all means, see your child's doctor - but don't accept an antibiotic easily.

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:17 am

Lauren,
Oh I won't trust me.. I am so anit- antibiotic its not funny. I never want anyone in my family to suffer with something like this. I am going to try the olive oil and some tylenol. I am staying home with her today cause she was up all night in pain and it still hurts. If not better a little this afternoon I'll call the doctor to see if they have any natural remedies. If not I'll let them take a look if they have an opening ... I'm hoping NO antibiotics , natural first.

Marcia
Long Time Contributor

Postby Marcia » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:24 am

I found this,
Not sure if i've posted it before.
http://homeopathic.com/articles/using_h/inf_disease.php

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:29 am

Thanks Marcia, very interesting

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:24 pm

Thanks, Marcia. Copied the hyperlink in FAQ-Resp. Infections.

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:30 pm

Well everyone thank you .. I tried the olive oil warmed up and she is feeling all better.. It took most of the morning .. I also used saline nose spray to help her sinuses clear just encase.. I also put a warm towel on her ear. She even looks better. I'll tell you what i was a little leary to use the oil but it worked!!!!!! Hope she stays better and it does not turn around.

angelmom
Contributor

Postby angelmom » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:48 pm

Sorry, just saw this post. Have you ever heard of ear candles? Most health food stores carry them. It may seem wierd, but let me tell you, they will pull a lot of crap out of the ear canal. I'd give it a shot before I spent a lot on prescriptions, etc.
Linda

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:26 pm

Candling can be dangerous. Check with doc.

angelmom
Contributor

Postby angelmom » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:42 pm

Hmm, I just used them a week or so ago and several other people I know also swear by them. I am very careful when using them because they do involve a burning object..
One of the docs that I know who is more into some of the older homeopathic remedies recommends them.
Linda

Marcia
Long Time Contributor

Postby Marcia » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:28 pm

When i was young in Mexico they use to light newspaper by the ear and suck all the air our some how. It sounds like the candling thing. I rememember they did that a lot to me. Crazy "believes" but i never went to doc, after the "healer" would come i would feel better.

angelmom
Contributor

Postby angelmom » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:00 pm

Marcia, yes, that sounds like a version of what they call ear candles. The ones from the health food store are like a waxie gauze and burn slow. Somehow the burning creates a vacuum and sucks wax etc out of the ear. I generally get a lot of "gunk" out when it gets to the point I think to go get them and then feel better after I have done it.

oiram
Brand New Poster

ear candles

Postby oiram » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:07 pm

the newspaper its use to take out the (air) we call it like that when you feel a stone trap in your eye or if your eye are in pain and alot of tears come out and if you feel a burning sensation for the ears you can try onion juice 2 or 3 drops in each ear thats for ringing sounds and pain let us know if try it bye

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”