What's Going On In Columbus?

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Christina
Long Time Contributor

What's Going On In Columbus?

Postby Christina » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:12 am

Last night I heard from my Dermatologist.He's the one who gave me the antibiotic that gave me C-diff.He talked to the GI who put me in the hospital in Oct. or Nov. the other day to see if he would help me here.
This is what the GI told him: since I had a colonoscopy and sig. scope that came out fine I do not have C-diff even if I test positive.The only way someone has C-diff is if they have pseudomembranous colitis.All of us know this is not true.My Dermatologist then told me that after talking with this Dr. that he thinks my Dr. in Boston does not know what he's talking about!!I am doing a article for our local paper here and the reporter told me he talked to an ID Dr. at the same hospital and he only dealt with C-diff once and didn't know much about it.Other than Cleveland Clinic this is supposed to be on of the best hospitals in Ohio.
If the strain in Cleveland gets down here to Columbus a lot of people are going to die because the Dr.'s have no idea what they're talking about.I am becoming more and more frightened for the people of Columbus.This could be really really bad.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:04 pm

Christina,
You'd entered the same info. twice so I edited your post -- hope you don't mind.

If you were on Vanco. or Flagyl when you had the colonscopy, everything would probably be "normal." (This happened to me at Mayo.) I had pseudo. mem. colitis (conformed by colonscopy) but was on Vanco. when I went to Mayo. Several others have posted the same thing on this site -- they were on med. when they had a colonscopy, everything looked "normal," and thus docs. said they were "okay." There are many false negatives with C. diff., but I doubt there are many (if any) false positives.

Dr. Kelly is a well-known expert in C. diff. I would call him to confirm the above info. and ask his permission to quote him to (or even ask him to call) your two local doctors as they will pay attention to another doctor. Also, have these docs. seen copies of Dr. Borody's article? He explains how C. diff. can be recurrent -- something some docs. seem to doubt.

HOWEVER, AND THIS IS IMPORTANT, this does not mean there aren't good and informed doctors in Columbus and elsewhere so no one should panic.

Many people receive adequate and up-to-date health care. As we know, C. diff. is a strange disease, but fortunately there are some new meds. that sound promising and more info. "out there" about C. diff. -- some of it is thanks to your efforts, Christina.

As medical consumers, we have to be informed, professional, and persistent. If some docs. don't "get it," we need to find ones that do.

Don't panic. Call Dr. Kelly. Good luck with your article.

diannestevens
Regular Contributor

Postby diannestevens » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:03 pm

This is just another example of why you should not put all your trust in one doctor. And it is a good example of how the medical community is kept informed of any changes that effect the community.
Dianne Stevens

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”