Dr didn't wash hands...

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Rane
Contributor

Dr didn't wash hands...

Postby Rane » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:04 am

Alright, I'm probably freaking out again but this is ridiculous. A doctor didn't wash his hands (and I saw him wipe his mouth a few times!) and took a tongue depressor (wooden stick), got his hands all over it before putting it in my mouth! I'm ticked off! I should have said something.

I'm worried about getting bacterial/viral infections. Thing is, the most serious ones like CMV and Epstein-Barr virus have an incubation period of 8 weeks. I'm really worried about those ones. Now I'm going to be on edge the whole time. I want to cry. I'm so stressed and I don't need this.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Dr didn't wash hands...

Postby beth22 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:32 am

It's happened to most of us. I finally got up the nerve to ask medical personnel to wash their hands, but it is not easy. I know Bobbie has done it as well. I would not worry right now. Chances are that you won't get the viruses you are most afraid of. A cold is more likely, but hopefully not even that. Get plenty of sleep. That helps your immune system.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:17 am

I think most of us feel intimidated by our Drs. and don't want to tell them what they should do. I wouldn't worry too much either, you will be fine.
CAROL

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:48 pm

This happens to me, too. The nurse and doc will squirt a little alcohol gel in his/her hands and not wait for it to dry. Or if he/she washes with soap and water in the sink in the examining room, they will turn the contaminated faucet off with their clean hands. YEEK. I usually mention washing hands but sometimes they do and sometimes they don't, and if they do, they do the above.

I wish we could have cards (like business cards) printed that say something like: "I am a C.diff. patient. It is vital you wash your hands. Please wash with soap and water for the length of time it takes to sing the Happy Birthday song, rinse thoroughly, and then turn the faucet off with a paper towel." I believe the UK did something similar. I will ask the owner of the site, and Roy might know.

My very favorite is nurses who wear long, glittery, false nails and don't wash their hands. How could they wash them well with that "gloop" on them?

Don't worry about it. It's done now, and you tried.

Rane
Contributor

Postby Rane » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:01 am

Thanks guys. After seeing how many of us end up with secondary infections or infections after c diff I'm paranoid. I can only watch and wait.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”