Enough Already, Part II

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Bobbie
Administrator

Enough Already, Part II

Postby Bobbie » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:25 pm

Anne,
Congrats on your g. daughter's wonderful accomplishment. How many g. children do you have? I wish the same for both of us - our g. kids will someday move closer - but, in my case, I doubt it. I think they will be Brits forever.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Re: Enough Already, Part II

Postby justme » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Thank you Bobbie. Kiana is 10 (she'll turn 11 on Feb. 3nd). Her brother, Cole will be 8 Nov. 30th. My son, Duke, and his wife, Marie, live in Los Angeles. He is a newly retired Air Force Major and looking for a job. He may end up leaving California as he has had a potential offer in Japan. He was stationed in Okinawa for 3 years (Kiana was born there) and speaks Japanese, but he would rather stay in Cali. Regardless of where they end up, it probably won't be in Hawaii (much to my chagrin). They'll have to visit us as Tom and I don't travel well. Looks like we are in the same boat Bobbie. I confess that I get a little jealous of friends who have grandchildren who live close by.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:10 am

Anne, me, too. Lucky people. I don't think I am up for a 11th trip to the UK. We might meet them in Orlando after Xmas. Still a trip but not so far. I worked for United Air Lines before I had our first child and traveled everywhere with one suitcase. Now I need one just for meds. Thank you, C. Diff.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:23 pm

Amen! Now I worry about germs, a UTI, sinus infection, you name it. I traveled to Spain and Canada after a cardiac arrest, but I'm afraid to travel after C. Diff. The cardiac arrest nearly killed me (actually it did, but I don't go down easy) and left me with quite a bit of brain damage, but C. Diff has taken a much bigger toll on me physically and psychologically. I don't even want to travel inter-island. Facebook has been a big plus for keeping in touch, but it doesn't replace seeing them in person.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:20 pm

I agree. C diff does a number on most people emotionally. I do a lot of things but can hear a cough across the room. I went to a dinner with friends last night, and one mentioned it was cold. (It's in the 20's here.) I thought she said she had a cold and started to move - I was sitting next to her - until she repeated what she said.

I sit at the back of my airplane section - fewer germs- and I move in movies if someone coughs near me. I used to feel "funny" about doing this, but after six bouts of pneumonia and three of c diff, I no longer care. I hate to sit home, however, and get so depressed that I try to be as active as possible - always listening for that cough. I won't ever be the same emotionally or physically and accepted that a long time ago. But I plan to stay as mobile as I can for as long as I can.

You have gone through so much - you are a true survivor.

This is what bothers me the most - it's one health issue after another.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:14 pm

I have actually worn one of those throw away masks to the doctors office, and if I absolutely had to fly somewhere, I would wear it on the plane. Nearly every time we have traveled in the past, I caught something and was sick on the plane or after I got back. During our last trip (Las Vegas before Christmas), I caught the flu which lowered my resistance and I got pneumonia which began my courtship with C. Diff. It has been a rotten relationship. I react exactly the same way you do when I hear someone cough. If I'm at the market, I travel down a different aisle and avoid any encounter with the person coughing or sneezing. It's especially trying during allergy season or when the volcano erupts and many people are bothered by the vog.

I used to love taking classes at the local college near us, but I'm wary of catching something so I take courses on-line. It's kind of a stupid decision though because my husband is a college professor and he is exposed every day to his students and brings stuff home. In fact, the last cold I had a few months ago I caught from him.

Yep, I am a survivor. You and I both are Bobbie. I can't imagine having experienced this monster as many times as you have. I think about that old saying - "what doesn't kill us, just makes us stronger". My sister is extremely overweight, diabetic, has had three heart attacks, a benign brain tumor, and bad arthritis and she is still alive and a very prolific artist at 65. I think about her when I feeling low and think that if she can keep on truckin', so can I. The saying "Getting old isn't for wimps" is so very very true.

Aloha,
Anne

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”