ENOUGH ALREADY

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
justme
Long Time Contributor

Re: ENOUGH ALREADY

Postby justme » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:45 am

Beth: Thanks for the info. I wrote it down and will see if I can get it online. I actually don't get D very often and when I do, it's only if I've eaten a no-no food (especially dairy) and probiotics (which I've given up on). I know my age and underlying health has slowed my healing process, but it's better than it was. It just gets to me sometimes because I'm so used to being very active.

Bobbie: Actually being physically active and exercising can fix some ailments. When I was 38, I decided to get fit. I became a gym rat and was even contemplating competing in a Miss Fitness contest here in Hawaii. I would bench press 100# every year on my birthday until I was 63. That was the year I had the cardiac arrest, but what saved my life was the extra blood vessels across my heart that were the result of all the years of exercise (and the quick rescusitation by my husband and EMTs). It also corrected my murmur so that it is no longer a problem. I know I wouldn't be alive today if I hadn't decided to get fit.

The lava flow is on the Big Island where Wen lives, but she lives in Hilo which isn't being threatened. When people build houses on the sides of an active volcano, it is like playing the odds and sometimes they aren't in their favor. The volcano erupts constantly and its unpredictable. It's a beautiful, exciting, and dangerous place. When you stand on the volcano and feel the rumbling under your feet, it feels like you are standing on something very much alive.

There's other flavors of green tea with blueberries and acacia, and mandarin orange. Some are caffeinated and some are decaf. They are all nice tasting.

Take care ladies and have a good night.
Aloha,
Anne

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:12 pm

Anne - Your pharmacy would probably have to order the EnteraGam, because it needs a doctor's prescription.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:41 pm

Anne,
News about the lava is in the news here a lot. Even Paradise has its drawbacks. And Hawaii is Paradise for those of us who have cold winter climates.

This is the first time I have actually enjoyed tea so thx again for the tips.

I am impressed by your exercise record. That is what I've preached for years. Even though it doesn't help cure c diff it helps physically and mentally. My bones are so bad - osteoporosis from malabsorption and steroids for asthma - I probably should not do high impact aerobics, but I do because I enjoy it. Both my maternal g mother and mother broke their hips. I hope I croak before it happens to me.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:04 pm

Bobbie: Funny you should mention osteoporosis. I just got a call from my doctor's office wanting me to set up an appt. with a rheumatologist after just having an x-ray on my hands (the arthritis has gotten really bad just in the last few months). He also wants me to schedule a bone density test. I would bet money that I have osteoporosis. My mother has it, my sister has it, and I have tiny little bones that are much more prone to the condition. I lost a lot of weight from the C. Diff, haven't been able to exercise like I used to, and had to go off HRT because of the TIA, so I know it has taken a toll on my bones. I think some things are inevitable when you age, and this is just one of them. Also are an increase in doctor's appointments, more pills, and much less energy. So far, my brain hasn't deteriorated so that's a plus.

I'm glad you like the tea. I've been trying all the flavors except the Mandarin Orange (can't use creamer). I like the Blueberry Pomegranate best.

Hawaii has one of the few oceanic volcanoes in the world (the other is in Iceland) and that spews lava rather than ash. A new island is being formed by the lava under the ocean called Lokahi. It won't rise above the surface for several thousand years, but it is quite a phenomena to see in underwater photos that have been taken.

Aloha,
Anne

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:26 pm

Correction: The new island being formed off the Big Island of Hawaii is called Loihi.
Anne

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:24 am

Anne,
Hope you don't have osteo. Several on site have it from malabsorption plus genetics. I am the picture child for osteo. - small bones, Nordic background, blue eyes. I was diagnosed at around 54 from a chest x-ray. Usually if an x-ray picks it up, a lot of bone has already been lost. So far, I've broken a vertebra in my spine and my left wrist. I'm on Forteo for the 2nd time - usually not recommended but nothing else will help. Forteo VERY $$$$.

Glad the lava hasn't gotten you. Wen's husband's memorial in Nov. l. Will put it on the site tomorrow and ask people to contact her. Poor kid.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:21 am

I was just above the line for Osteo when I was about 40, but all of the weight training helped increase the density of my bones. However, that all stopped after the SCA and I had to moderate my training. After the last few years, the weight loss and inability to get back in shape has taken a toll. I also have the genetics for osteo (both mom and sis with it),I am olive complected with brown eyes, but bird bones. What is Fortero? Is it like Boneva? I'll get the test soon and find out what's up. It's hit me pretty suddenly. I am a super klutz so having delicate bones could be a real problem for someone like me.

I am quite far removed from the Big Island where the volcano is erupting, but we are getting the ash in the air. We call it Vog and it can cause all kinds of problems for people with breathing problems. I got bacterial bronchitis from it 2 years ago when it was blowing this way and ended up with pneumonia and a sinus infection (plus 2 UTIs) leading to . . . C. Diff!!

Even paradise has its problems, but they are few indeed compared to the Mainland. I wouldn't live anywhere else.
Aloha nui loa,
Anne

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:32 pm

Bad day today. I ate something that really made my colon angry. I think it was the wonderful Japanese food I ate ate with the tempura vegetables and California sushi. I had a reaction to the shrimp (usually only if I eat too much and obviously did) and my colon has been sore all day from the vegetables. Not only am I dealing with the colon, but today was smash boob day (all you ladies know what I'm talking about). The new tech on the new machine didn't know what she was doing and had to repeat the test 4 times after calling in help. But, tomorrow is another day and my friend who is a masseuse is coming over to give me a massage (and boy do I need one). C. Diff is the gift that just keeps on giving. Just when I think I'm finally healing - wham, it let's me know not to get too cocky.
Aloha to all of you fellow sufferers out there. Guess we have to just keep on keeping on.
Anne

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:21 am

I haven't had a mammo or pap for years because I wouldn't accept treatment if they showed cancer. Chemo can contribute to c diff and surgery often requires antibiotics. I remember some painful mammos in the past.

Enjoy the massage - great for stress!

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:19 pm

Bad day today. Woke up with a possible UTI and just forced water all day. Also, bad IBS and I think I know the culprit - fried onions and mushrooms. I write everything down that I eat and those were two things within a 48 hr. time frame, and I ate them for two days (probably too much in too sort a time). I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving (but not to the days following, because I plan to indulge a little in goodies I shouldn't eat). The massage last night was great and my arthritis was better today. I guess we just have to appreciate the good things that happen and get through the tough ones. Bobbie: I agree that it is tiring trying to stay healthy, but we don't have many alternatives. I am trying to be glass half full person (but it is hard sometimes).
Aloha to all,
Anne

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:25 am

Stay away from those onions - also hard to digest. They used to give me an upset stomach even before c diff. Mushrooms are supposed to be ok. I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:27 am

Some days good, some bad. Best days are when I am out and about and doing things. Have been taking computer classes and find them exhausting. I'm not as stupid as I thought I was, however, as password problems were not my fault. (Why do women - particularly older ones -think everything is our fault?) One instructor set them wrong. Got them straightened out and upgrade messed everything up again. By the time I am really computer savvy, I will be too old to care.

Going to check with Alvin again about "bitchin" blog. Hate the thought of winter coming so enjoying milder days now.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:11 am

Beth: I didn't realize onions could be so noxious to my system. I'm okay if I don't overindulge, but I did and am paying for it.
Bobbie: What type of computer classes are you taking? Are they in-class or on-line? I am taking on-line classes through edx.org (free to audit) and they are terrific. I finished a philosophy class and one on ancient China. I just started a human evolution class. I love taking them on-line because they are on my schedule and I can do as little or as much as I want.
Goodnight ladies,
Anne

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:44 pm

I'm taking I pad and I phone classes. Finally seeing a break through - I think. I am not computer minded (my mind goes from A to C back to B on to M, etc.) so this has been difficult. Plus, my password and my husband's were mixed up. Took many visits and calls to the Apple Store to fix this. I think I can see "a light in the dark." Last, night, however, I deleted hundreds of posts, and this morning they were back. Help!! Yet another call.

I'd much rather take a writing class and am going to enjoy myself at one on Thursday.

I haven't done one on-line yet, Anne, but as soon as I grasp the "I" stuff, I plant to do so. It sounds like fun.

One plus: you can dictate emails and other info. on the I pad and I phone although I usually I have to go back and edit.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:28 am

Anne - A woman I know who has had PI-IBS for YEARS (she had c diff and has SIBO like me) just tried EnteraGam and says that it has helped her a lot already after just one week. She has no side effects. Her D is gone and her gas and cramping are much better. It is a medical food. My insurance covers it, hers does not, but like with Dificid, there is some kind of help for those who can't afford it. It might be worth trying. Your symptoms sound a lot like hers did. She had lots of food intolerances and said while on the EnteraGam, she has been eating fruit and other stuff that she has not been able to tolerate for years. Interesting.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”