Vent re: docs/other medical personnel

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
MJsSupport
Contributor

Vent re: docs/other medical personnel

Postby MJsSupport » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:37 am

Though I'd be the first to admit my partner has received excellent care from our HMO, I do wish docs/medical personnel who don't have a clue would keep their opinions to themselves. I also wish they would realize that not everyone presents with the same symptoms. My partner had a fever only the first time she had c-diff, and every time she's had c-diff, D is her very LAST symptom, which is problematic when the labs won't test for c-diff unless the sample is D. Okay. Vent over.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vent re: docs/other medical personnel

Postby getwellsoon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:14 am

It is unfortunate that most Drs. etc. don't have a clue how to really diagnose or treat CDiff. I took Clindamycin and got really sick a week after I was off of it. They did a stool test which was neg. so every Dr. just went by that test until I was finally so sick I was admitted to the hospital with heart issues. Now I know that right after atx treatment you can get a false neg. Seems like the Drs. should know. The best thing you can do now is search out the very best Dr. whether it be a GI or ID Dr. who is an expert in CDiff. Hopefully your partner will feel better in the coming days and the FMT will have cured her. Keep us posted as to how she does.
CAROL

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:05 pm

MJsSupport, Ask for PCR - quite reliable. Call lab that does testing and ask what consistency of sample should be - usually it needs to be "pourable." Ask for lab engineer in outpatient lab - they actually do the testing and might be able to give you further info.

Best of luck

mirah
Regular User

Postby mirah » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:00 pm

Hi Nora,
You're so wonderful for the support you're giving your partner. I wish you continued strength and to her continued healing!
The sample that I gave in for cdiff testing was hard stool and it came back positive. I also didn't always have diarrhea and I had no fever but terrible cramps and muscle and joint pain, nausea and weakness. My first test may have been a pcr.
I agree that Doctors should not generalize when it comes to symptoms.
Be well!

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”