Vent. Probable relapse.

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
susant
Regular Contributor

Vent. Probable relapse.

Postby susant » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:30 pm

So I am four months off of vancomycin (10 days) and tested negative numerous times by pcr. However, this week I've started having d 2 to 3 times a day. Doesn't matter what I eat. I've been on the brat diet ever since the d started. No m or bad smell but I know it's back. Really? Wait four months and come back? I'm so angry and scared. Trying to get into the gi for tests this week. Just why...I'm 26 and supposed to be living life but c diff has taken over.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vent. Probable relapse.

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:19 pm

It may not be c difficile, although you know your own body. I would ask to be tested. Ask to have tests run for a regular stool culture and for ova and parasites too. I got a different infection after c diff called campylobacter. I think it is important to rule out everything to see what is going on.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:07 am

Don't panic yet, it could just be a bug. When your gut has been compromised any bug that comes along seems to take longer to go away. I got a bug in March and it took over 5 weeks to feel better and get back to normal. I would get tested if the D persists just to put your mind at ease. I was sure I had relapsed but got neg. results and was so happy. It stinks when we have to continually play this waiting game but it can't be helped. It takes months to get well so hang in there and let us know how you do.
CAROL

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:23 am

GI wants to do a colonoscopy next week. I'm scared to wait that long first of all and scared it'll being c diff back if what I have now is not c diff. I hate this so much.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:07 pm

What is the doctor's rationale for the colonoscopy? This exam would not typically be done unless there were symptoms suggestive of colon cancer (which it does not sound like there are) or it was a routine screening for polyps, which generally is recommended starting at around age 50 unless a person is at higher-than-average risk, e.g., due to family history, in which case screening would be recommended at a younger age. Not sure colonoscopy is necessarily a good idea so soon after C. difficile -- again, pending finding out what the doc's reason is for wanting to do it. If it were me, I wouldn't rush into it unless I was given a compelling reason.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:54 pm

I would also question a coloscopy at your young age. Roy is right, do a stool test. Unless you are having a lot of B I wouldn't think most DRs. would order a colonscopy unless they suspect UC or some other condition. Let us know how you do.
CAROL

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:02 pm

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post more than once in a day. If not let me know. My doctor is refusing to order me a stool test so I made an appointment for tomorrow with a different gi. His response was that I had already had 3 negative stool tests last month and it's not necessary. When I asked what to do if things keep getting worse his receptionist replied just come for the colonoscopy and rushed me off the phone. I'm so livid right now. I have not had a bm today so not sure if that's a good sign or a bad sign at this point. Thanks for everything!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:01 pm

I continue to wonder about what I asked earlier, that being: what rationale has the doctor given for a colonoscopy? It is irresponsible for a doctor to recommend such a procedure (and it is a rather major one as procedures go) without giving a patient enough information to make an informed decision. For that reason alone, I would refuse the colonoscopy. In addition, nothing you've said about your symptoms points to a colonoscopy as being helpful, unless for the possible reasons mentioned by getwellsoon.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:05 pm

The GI will give me no reason aside from him not knowing why I have d after testing negative last month. Apparently he thinks once I'm negative it's gone forever. Clearly he isn't very informed on c diff which is why I'm seeing another GI tomorrow. I don't feel a colonoscopy is beneficial right now either and I'm apprehensive about this GI now for sure due to him not even allowing me the peace of mind of a test. Question for Roy or anyone with ibs answers... could an ibs flare last an entire week? Thank you all again!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:32 am

Yes, IBS can flare for a week and even longer sometimes. When you see your GI ask to be tested for everything. We have had posters who got other infections post c diff. A couple got a parasite, a few like me, got another bacteria. Just tell the new GI that for peace of mind you would like to have everything tested - culture, ova and parasites, and of course, c diff.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:16 pm

About one out of five with C. diff. develop IBS. I am one and have had it on and off for years. Get tested for other things, however, as Beth suggested.

Four months should mean you are "home free." I usually felt safe about two months. C. diff. is a strange infection, however, and is constantly changing so I would also ask for another PCR.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Well, I saw a new GI today. Really like him. He is doing a stool test but I haven't been able to go yesterday or today. Should I be worried about toxic megacolon or is this more ibs where you don't go for a while after a flare?

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:42 pm

Scratch that. Had a bm. Tiny but formed pieces. Probably tmi. I dunno what's going on with me. I'm super frustrated and if it isn't c diff I honestly don't know what it is. Submitting my sample tomorrow morning (pcr) and doing stool culture.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:41 pm

Many people with IBS go back and forth between D and C. I've had that myself. Make sure the lab that does the c diff test will take a formed sample. Some labs don't.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:56 am

Just dropped my sample off and they put it in the freezer. I have read you are not supposed to freeze? Could the freezing result in false negative?

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”