Vent. Probable relapse.

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vent. Probable relapse.

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:07 pm

I don't know about PCR tests, but I know the other tests they used to freeze, especially if they don't run the test until the next day or much later in the day. I've had positive tests on frozen samples.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:21 pm

So if it's negative it is probably correct? I'm annoyed because I brought it in this morning and they don't get sent to the lab until tonight which means it'll be tomorrow before they even think about testing. Ughhh

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:27 pm

If it is a hospital lab, they test late at night and results should be there in the morning. You can call lab and check when they test.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:40 pm

The nurse said to give them 48 hours which I think is outrageous for a pcr test.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:55 pm

I'm super hungry too. I don't recall c diff making me hungry...I'm clearly just falling apart at 26. My husband is so tired of me being so sickly.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:04 am

Sometimes that happens. It could be IBS with alternating diarrhea and constipation. Testing should tell. Most labs won't do a PCR unless the sample is "pourable." See CDI-Tests. Also call your lab and ask to talk to a lab engineer. You might also check with your doc"s nurse. No sense making a trip with a sample they won't test.

Good luck. Let us know.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:06 pm

Sample that I brought yesterday was definitely pour able unfortunately. :( I've called once this morning and it's not back yet. Hoping to know this afternoon. I'm almost sure it's c diff though.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:35 pm

The waiting is a killer - why we call this the WWW - watch, wait, and worry infection.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:06 pm

Well I see now why they had me freeze it. It still hasn't been tested. So frustrating. I wish I had my own laboratory to send things to!

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi Susan,
I wouldn't be too concerned about toxic megacolon. If you had that, I believe you would be having severe abdominal pain, as well as abdominal distention. Your symptoms sound like classic IBS to me A period of loose stools is often followed by a few days of not going. Prior to the diarrhea, had you eaten anything that you had been avoiding since you had c-diff? Dairy products quite often cause problems for people during and after c-diff. I'm eight months out from c-diff and still have issues with dairy. The other night I indulged in a chocolate ice cream cone and paid for it with watery diarrhea within an hour. As far as being hungry, I never had any appetite while I had c-diff, so the fact that you are hungry sounds like a good sign to me. Hopefully you will get the results tomorrow and it will be negative.
Bea

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:09 pm

Thank you all for the advice. I truly don't know where I would be without all of you. I had dairy when it all started but I just can't imagine that it would last this long. I'm nervous about getting a false negative as the stool was frozen and still hasn't been tested but we will see. I've never had ibs Flare last this long.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:05 am

I just had an IBS flare that lasted over a month. It started with a stomach bug and I just couldn't seem to get on track. Hang in there, you sound like you are doing well and having a great recovery.
CAROL

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:32 pm

Wish I had news but it looks like it'll be next week before I hear anything? If it's negative I'm really unsure if I should trust it. It should not take this long. I'm so frustrated.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:34 pm

You can call the lab and ask them to call your doctor if they have the results or fax the results to the office. If it is the weekend, tell them to call the on-call doctor.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:58 pm

My symptoms are so strange. I'm having three days of d and then a day of nothing...does that sound more like ibs or can c diff do this? I guess I'll know for sure Monday but just curious on what anyone thinks?

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”