Tick bites

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Bobbie
Administrator

Tick bites

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:42 am

Got a tick bite last week. Went to doc. Said nothing he could do about it. Rash disappeared quickly. Going to another doc Fri. Her nurse said blood tests are not accurate. Any advice?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Tick Bites

Postby beth22 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:00 am

Find out how soon after a tick bite a blood test would show something. There may be a wait time. My SIL took one dose of something - I don't know what it was and neither does he, but ask. It might be something you had to do right away though. Not all ticks carry Lyme disease or other illnesses. Probably most don't, so don't panic.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Re: TiVo bites

Postby getwellsoon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:48 am

Yes don't panic, if you aren't having flu like symptoms etc. you are probably fine. Don't know how long Lyme would take to show in the blood. Hang in there and don't borrow trouble, enough comes out way anyway. I'll be praying all is well Bobbie.
CAROL

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:20 pm

Thx, gals. You have to take one large dose of Doxy within several days of being bitten. Went to doc but he didn't think it was necessary. Doesn't show up in blood test for weeks.

Carol, how did you register for FB page? Have misplaced directions. Don't think FB page attached to site yet - was supposed to be last night.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:52 pm

Oh ok good to know. I think I joined when it was still closed but now that it is open I guess you just sign on.
CAROL

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Tick bites

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:12 pm

Don't think it's open yet, Carol. Alvin and the owner want to know what we want to include.

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:37 pm

Did you actually see the tick? Deer ticks (the kind that transmit Lyme disease) are tiny; but the I think the larger varieties of ticks can sometimes transmit other diseases.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:21 pm

Yes, there were two -- tiny and black. Picked out with tweezers. Tried to save for doctor but disappeared. I'd been on a nature walk in the wood two days earlier.

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:46 pm

We have lots of deer, deer ticks, and Lyme disease where I live in southeastern PA. Two of my 3 sons had to be treated for Lyme disease. My youngest son had a fever, and the oldest son had fatique. Both of the them had the bulls-eye rash. My oldest son got bitten as a teenager when collecting ferns in our woods for an AP biology class - wearing shorts with me screaming at him to get out the woods because he would get Lyme disease. I think it was about a month later when he started feeling ill (but it was more than 20 yrs ago, so I can't be sure). My next door neighbor got it at one point, as did the man across the street who lived there years ago and used to work in his yard in shorts. Anyway we have always been afraid of getting Lyme disease, so we wear long pants and sleeves, use insect repellent, take a shower, change clothes whenever we work in the yard. Not all deer ticks carry the Lyme bacteria - hopefully you will be lucky.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:04 pm

We don't have much Lyme Disease in this area but there is some. Worked with a man who had a terrible case - had been an athlete and could hardly get out of bed for months.

I was wearing long sleeves and pants but didn't check self when got home. Terrified of antibiotics - even Doxy.

Thx for good wishes but don't have good luck.

Might go to UK end of summer. Didn't go last year as too sick. Will be our 10th trip. Elder son and family live there - only three grand kids.

Thx for continuing to help on site.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:51 am

If the FB page is closed then you click on the request joining button or whatever it is and they let you know when you are accepted into the group. I joined when it was first posted on here. I'll have to check if its open or closed.
CAROL

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”