whooping cough

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: whooping cough

Postby beth22 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:42 pm

The specific culture that was run for pertussis takes about a week. The preliminary report did not show growth, so that is good. I dont' know how long the blood test takes or how accurate it is. Apparently, I have not been vaccinated either. I was not born in the U.S. and it was not available in the 50s where I lived. But, yesterday I saw the ENT and he did not think I had it - he said viral bronchitis is going around big time in town. That is what my internist diagnosed me with last week. The cough is still there, but I am not coughing up the infectious looking phlegm anymore, so that too, is good. Perhaps it is the doxycycline helping with that. Still having respiratory problems, chest hurts, etc. I hope all tests come back negative for pertussis. I don't need that on top of everything else. There have been other kids with bad coughs that have not had whooping cough, but just other viruses. Hopefully, that is what I have too.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:38 pm

The lab called my doctor's office today to say they don't do the culture for pertussis. They have had it for a week! I couldn't believe it. They only do a PCR nasal/throat swab. So, I went to see a pulmonologist who took the swab and hopefully the university lab will do it. He also took a blood test. He said he thinks I have it, but does not want to give me a Zpak at this point because it is already late in the illness and I have been on doxycycline for 7 days. He told me to finish the doxy, since the phlegm is better and like Roy said, the illness will just have to run its course at this point. Had the student said something, I could have started the Zpak when I started to cough and it would have eradicated it, but now it is too late. I really don't know what to think or say anymore. Life is not easy.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Life is not easy - for sure.

I am finally better - as is my husband. Must have been viral bronchitis that activated my asthma. Weaning off inhalers slowly and back in aerobics. Sick a little over two weeks - husband a little less. Wish there were more some definitive tests for viral versus bacterial infections.

Rest this weekend and see if it makes a difference. Drink hot tea and lots of water. Feel better.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:29 pm

Glad you are better, Bobbie. I'm still hoping that mine is viral bronchitis, but probably it is pertussis. We'll see. I should have asked about inhalers as well.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:12 am

Beth, so sorry about all this, you can't seem to catch a break. At least you are some better. Hang in there, call the Dr. today and maybe the on call Dr. can call in a script for the inhaler. It could help yoou a lot. Praying for you to get well.
CAROL

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:55 pm

Agree with Carol. Try to have the prescribe an inhaler.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:26 pm

Blood test was positive for pertussis. I am supposed to start Zpak and vanco tonight. Very upset.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:30 pm

Oh, Beth, I am so sorry to hear this. It's really scary that illnesses like pertussis and tuberculosis are making a comeback.They've had cases of pertussis in the schools where I live also, as well as students testing positive for TB.

I know Vanco makes you feel bad. Hopefully, it will keep the c-diff at bay. I will be praying for you. Bea
Bea

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:48 am

I did not start the Zpak. Apparently no one can agree on treatment for me as you are supposed to start meds in the first week or they don't do any good. Since I have been on the doxy and have one more day - tomorrow, I will just finish that and then see what I can find out on Monday. I can always start the Zpak then, but if it won't do any good, then there is no point in risking c diff. I only wish I had started it instead of the doxy, but I can't do anything about that now. The nurse at our school will be contacting the families of the students involved.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:17 am

I don't know what the natural course of pertussis is, but I hope that it will clear on its own soon and you can get by without the z-pak. No sense in taking it if it's really not going to make any difference one way or the other and it just has to run its course now. Thankfully, it is summer and hopefully you can get more rest and get well quicker. I know you're sick and tired of being sick and tired. Bea
Bea

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:55 am

I don't know either, but Roy posted that his granddaughter got over it without meds, so I guess it is possible. The doxy did help some, just not enough. The CDC recommends the Zpak or some type of erythromycin. I think for adults it is harder to heal than for children. They get it worse, but heal faster.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:17 am

So sorry Liz but you are doing the right thing by waiting. See if you have to take the Zpak and also ask about an inhaler for the cough etc. Praying you can kick this on your own. You didn't do well with the Vanco, why do they want to risk it again? What about Rifaximin, I can't remember if you took it yet. Hang in there, and don't get discouraged. Take it one day at a time. Hoping you feel better today and glad today is the last day for the doxy.
CAROL

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:17 am

I got the inhaler yesterday, but was so exhausted that I slept and did not need it. I had the discolored phlegm again today after not having it for a few days, so I will start the Zpak tonight. I have not decided about the vanco. I have Xifaxan here that I was supposed to take for SIBO. It goes right through me though, so probably would be best to not take it. Anything seems to go right through me since c diff and I think the Z pak will be no exception. I read that the CDC says that one should take the Z pak if it has been less than 21 days of cough and it has been 15 today, so I will take it.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:29 pm

Good luck with the Zpak. Thinking of you!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:34 am

I will start tomorrow after I check with the pulmonologist. I decided to finish the doxycycline as it helped with the phlegm and fever. Don't want to not finish the course and have that come back. A 5 day course of the Z pak is supposed to make me not be contagious and with Father's Day next weekend, I think it would be prudent to make sure I don't infect my daughter and SIL. Just hope I don't get c diff in the process. I did another stool enema this morning as my intestines were bothering me even with the doxy and I feel much better now. My donor will be gone until Thursday, so hopefully I can tolerate the Zpak with just some Pepto. Never a dull moment. I never thought whooping cough could be so difficult, painful, and frightening. I wake up in the middle of the night and can't breathe and just cough and cough. My whole chest hurts, ribs, and muscles. My trachea is so raw and my voice is hoarse and raspy. All because no one told the school about these sick kids so that we could have been aware and informed our doctors should symptoms develop. My doctor diagnosed me with bronchitis and now he is worried that he caught it too!

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”