whooping cough

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

whooping cough

Postby beth22 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:15 am

So, it seems I may have whooping cough now. We had a couple of cases at school and one of them may be my student. I will check tomorrow. The antibiotic I am on is not the best choice for that - a Zpak is and my doctor won't switch me. I made an appointment with an ENT for Wednesday. I'm hoping that there is a blood test to see if I do indeed have it, although the symptoms fit the description completely, except for the "classic whoop". Has anyone had any experience with this?

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: whooping cough

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:35 am

Would you believe I have. When I first developed asthma, docs. Thought it might be whooping cough.,I don't think there is a test. I know I had a booster a couple of years ago because altho most of us are vaccinated as children, it can wear off.

Whooping cough used to be a serious disease - usually for children- years ago before a vaccine was developed. It's part of a triple vaccine.

I hope you don't have it. As a normal adult no problem but for a c differ maybe a problem.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:40 am

The problem is I can't take the antibiotics to treat it!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:28 am

Copied this from CDC webpage:

"Tips
Treat appropriately for pertussis. Because pertussis may progress rapidly in young infants, treat suspected and confirmed cases promptly. However, treatment is ineffective if started late in the course of illness.
Quickly report cases of pertussis to the local public health department to assist with preventing additional cases."

Shouldn't school recess classes if there is an outbreak (see last line above)?
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:33 am

Thanks, Roy. I think the doxycycline may have some action for it. I'm not even 100% sure that I have it. I will confirm with my student today to see if he is one of the cases. The other one is not my student, but I don't know if she has classes in my room.

The school should have let us all know, but I don't know if my student reported it or not, but the other girl did. As far as I know, it has to be reported to the health dept. Will find out more today.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Confirmed today that my student had whooping cough and did not bother to tell the school. Apparently there are a few others as well. I went for a blood test this afternoon. Since I am on antibiotics, that is the only thing that may tell. I'm really frustrated. If I have it, which I'm pretty sure I do, then my husband has to take antibiotics too. Just what we did not need!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:38 pm

That is really reprehensible on the part of the student's parents; not sure if student is old enough to have known better himself. As for the school, it should have a policy in place that would prevent this kind of scenario.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:01 pm

I spoke to the principal and the dean and they had no knowledge. It was not just this student. There are about 4. One of them is in my friend's class. Luckily, the younger teachers have been vaccinated. I'm pretty sure I have not. The principal said they can't do anything about it and that if my test shows positive, they will "investigate". Meanwhile all the kids seem to know who has had it recently. I think the parents should have notified the school and I think it is reprehensible as well.

saraht
Long Time Contributor

Postby saraht » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:50 am

So sorry to hear this. It's never ending is it? It drives me nuts how parents will send kids to school with these illnesses with no care in the world for other students or teachers.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:54 am

Sorry to hear this. Hope you have a light case. Parents of students and students should receive reprimand - too late for you now, though. Have you ever shared your problems with antibiotics with the faculty? It's difficult to do - I didn't say much about C. diff. when I worked - just said I had problems with antibiotics. Still, people with yucky noses would insist on hugging me. My favorite part of church is the "peace time" when you are supposed to shake everyone's hands, and I am always next to some kid with a yucky nose. Sometimes I leave during this friendly time!

Best wishes for a quick c. diff less recovery. Some day, you gotta catch a break.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:14 am

Yes, someday and I hope that day is soon. I wound up doing a stool enema tonight, as my daughter was back and able to "donate." So far I have not had any problems being on the doxycycline, but I want to keep it that way. I did one last week before starting the medication and assuming there are no problems in the next few days, will do one more after I am done. I figure it is better to be safe than sorry.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:55 pm

Glad to know the FEs seem to be working. I agree, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Bea
Bea

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:01 pm

I agree. Doxy is not a big offender anyway. But still to quote another old saying "better safe than sorry."

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:36 pm

Wow--whooping cough is making a big comeback now that lots of parents are refusing to vaccinate their kids because of the fraudulent autism stuff. It's really a shame that these people are allowed to send unvaccinated kids to schools where they can infect others. Hopefully none of the kids or exposed teachers have been around infants or immunocompromised folks who aren't protected by the vaccine.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:24 am

When will you know if you have Whooping Cough? This whole situation is unacceptable. When you feel better I would follow up on what is protocol for unvaccinated children. Someone who is immunocompromised shouldn't have to be around these children as they are more likely to get these diseases. Hoping you feel better soon Liz. Prayers.
CAROL

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”