whooping cough

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: whooping cough

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:03 pm

Internist was upset I had not started the Zpak, but it was his associate who told me it was a waste of time, so he was doubly upset. He said to start it today for sure and that I should already be on day 3, not day 1. So much for asking different doctors the same question. No one seems to ever agree.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:33 pm

Just goes to show they are all "practicing" medicine. Everything is a judgement call. Hope the z-pak kicks in soon and "whups" that whooping cough without stirring up the c-diff.
Bea

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:20 pm

My husband is starting meds tonight as well and if we both do, then hopefully we won't get anyone sick. It is not just Father's Day. I am a teacher and have contact with students and I visit my mom at a skilled nursing facility filled with a lot of old people. She herself is 93. I would rather just take the meds and not be responsible for getting others sick. I don't know if the doxycycline rendered me non-contagious or not. I felt worse again yesterday and this morning. More discolored phlegm after not having any for a few days. The doxy is too weak and I was not given a strong dose. I made an appointment with the ID for Friday and he said to start the Zpak as did my internist and the pulmonologist. I waited until today to clarify. As much as I don't want to, I will do it. If I have to do more stool transfers, then so be it. The student who had the illness and gave it to me said the Zpak made him feel a lot better despite having started it late. So, maybe it will help some, although literature says no.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:52 pm

I have the option of taking vanco along with the Zpak, although I will see what happens. The doxycycline did not give me any problems. I did a stool enema yesterday and as soon as my donor returns in a few days, I will be doing another. I took Levaquin in February along with vanco and had D for over two weeks. The vanco was probably the cause. I did some stool enemas and the D stopped after the first one, although I had not tested positive. I really can't go against what 3 doctors have told me to do, much as I would like because they would all refuse to treat me in the future if I do that. Plus, as I am a teacher, all I need is for one of my students to get sick and the parents find out that I did not treat. So, basically to cover myself and my job, I have to do that too. The ID will most likely be reporting the outbreak to the health dept since it involves a school and they would question my not treating as well. I have the vanco here if I need it. Z pak is not supposed to be a high offender. We'll see.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:56 pm

I got my husband a probiotic that he took last year when he had to take antibiotics. It is Bio-K soy formula, as he is lactose intolerant. I don't think my husband has spores. He has been tested repeatedly and not gotten it when he took antibiotics. My daughter is allergic to erythromycin, so if she gets sick, she can't treat and that is more of a concern to me. So is my 93 year old mom. I saw her the first two day of my cough, but I only coughed very little and I have not seen her since. I will just pray that I don't relapse and if I do, I have the vanco.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:09 pm

Glad you got your husband that probiotic to take while he's on the antibiotics. I gave my husband VSL-3 and s. boulardii twice a day when he had to take Levaquin followed by a z-pak for pneumonia and he did not get c-diff.

Good luck. Will keep you in my prayers. Bea
Bea

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:19 pm

Thanks, Bea. I appreciate all the prayers from all of you. I am taking VSL#3 as well and have increased my doses. I also took Pepto with the meds tonight. I hope I last til my donor comes back on Thursday and I will follow with an FMT enema.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:10 am

I think you are absolutely doing the right thing, don't second guess yourself. If 3 Dr.agree on anything I say go with it. Prayers you do well, get well and don't get any D etc. Hang in there, we are pulling for you.
CAROL

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Agree with Carol. You are doing what the doc. said to do. Don't second guess yourself. (You and I tent to do that.)

Am closing this thread as it's gotten long. Please start another.

You will be OK, Liz. School is out soon and you can rest - although, like me, I know resting is not your "thing." Look at all the things you've gone through and survived!!!

Many prayers and good wishes. Putting you on my church prayer chain and will send you a copy. Won't put your last name.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”