Always something - part 2

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Bobbie
Administrator

Always something - part 2

Postby Bobbie » Mon May 26, 2014 6:52 pm

Locked first thread. Too long. Mucinex might help, Pinkangel. There are two kinds; one has a decongestant added. Check with your pharmacist. It's on of the things (Mucinex DM) I am using. Drink lots of fluids to thin the "gunk."

Having a sputum sample analized might help identify the bacteria (if it is bacteria) that is making you sick, but both times I've tried it, it's failed. It might be better now. Beth is more "up" on these things than I am. I don't want to "go there" (or see another doc. for as long as possibles - most viruses take 7 to 10 days to wear themselves out. If in doubt, see your PCP.

Feel better. Same to you, Beth and Carol. I thought when spring/summer came, we'd all be well. Ha.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Always something - part 2

Postby beth22 » Tue May 27, 2014 1:20 am

In February when I was so sick with the other URI, they cultured the sputum (phlegm) and it did show a lot of white blood cells and a particular bacteria that needed to be treated (haemophilus Influenzae - something like that). I was already on Levaquin and it was sensitive to that. I was so sick that they could not wait for culture results. I spoke to my internist today and he said to go ahead and do that again, as in the morning I am coughing up quite a bit. Also a few times during the day, but not as much and lighter color than in the morning.

I have had that done once before and nothing showed up, so the doctor said it was a virus, and sure enough, it cleared on its own. This may very well be a virus too, but I want to make sure, because if I get worse, I don't want to start antibiotics for nothing. If it is a virus, it will just have to run its course. If you are not coughing up a lot of stuff, then you can't do the test. Also, you need to get it to the lab quickly - kind of like c diff.

So, tonight my daughter came back into town, stopped at my house, and gave me a sample for a stool enema. I had so many problems last week, that I thought it would be a good idea. I hope it was.

pinkangel
Regular Contributor

Postby pinkangel » Tue May 27, 2014 9:23 pm

I tried the mucinex last night and it seems to help clear the congestion in sinuses . They even were bleeding a little. I still feel bad so going to other doc at my pcp tomorrow since mine went on vacation. I am going to ask about the culture. Fearing I may have to take antibiotic because symptoms are not going anywhere and seem a little worse. I have an out of town guest also coming on Monday. Ugh. How are you guys doing today? Does the culture take a while to come back?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue May 27, 2014 10:02 pm

I had a culture done years ago when I was in the hospital for pneumonia, c. diff. and other infections. The lab lost the culture.

I have good days and bad days - days when I cough incessantly and days when I don't. Went out o dinner with friends and feel better - mentally at least.

Give it some time. Viruses can last 10 to l4 days - as can bacterial infections. Wish we know more about cultures. Maybe someone can do some research on them. I am not sure how accurate they are or how long they take. Bet Liz will know as she's dealt with this recently.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:40 am

I feel worse today. Coughing up a lot of "crud" as Bobbie puts it. I took in a sample, but kind of missed it. The really gross looking stuff I spit in the sink, not realizing, so what I collected was not as bad. I think the culture takes about 2 - 3 days. I am going to see my internist tomorrow. The cough is way worse. My chest is very sore, my voice hurts to speak. My husband got it now too, so I assume it is a virus. The question is whether there is a bacterial infection in my chest. I usually do not get chest colds, so this is very strange for me. It feels like bronchitis. I'm hoping I don't need antibiotics, but who knows. I talked to the GI and he said doxycycline should be ok. Lots of kids are coughing at school and some are out sick. Funny time of the year for chest colds.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Wed May 28, 2014 2:28 am

I'm sorry to hear you are all still fighting these URI's. Hopefully, none of you will require an antibiotic; but the Doxycycline that Beth mentioned is what my ID recommended for me to take if I decide to have gum surgery, so apparently it really is one of the lesser offenders for c-diff. Feel better soon. You've all been sick long enough! Bea
Bea

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:44 pm

Beth, I am so sorry that you feel worse today. I've had bronchitis and didn't need an antibiotic for it. Pneumonia of course is a different story. When I had pneumonia, I coughed so hard and my chest hurt so much that I thought I broke a rib. Luckily this was before cdiff. I got a rib belt to help with the chest pain.

Good luck!!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu May 29, 2014 12:55 am

I don't have pneumonia, but I am coughing up a lot of ugly looking mucus and today I had a low grade fever for the first time. I got the doxycycline, but will wait another day and see if I improve tomorrow. Husband seems ok. Maybe his was allergies. All the kids at school who have this are on antibiotics, so I really don't know what to do. My daughter is going out of town, so I can't use her as a donor until she gets back in a few days. I had thought that if I took an antibiotic, I would do the enemas every other day until I was done. I will see if the culture shows anything tomorrow before I decide. I haven't had bronchitis in probably 25 or 30 years. Why now? My white count is usually low, but it was 7,000+, which is normal for most people, but not for me. Maybe my white cells are trying to fight off the infection. I hope they win!

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Thu May 29, 2014 6:58 am

I will pray they win also. Let us know what happens with the culture. Hopefully you can fight this off on your own. It took me 3 weeks to fight off that bug I had and I still am not 100% but much better. Hang in there.
CAROL

pinkangel
Regular Contributor

Postby pinkangel » Thu May 29, 2014 10:38 am

Well I went to the other doc at my PCPs practice. She said my ears had pressure in them and my throat was really red and sinuses are really inflamed. but rapid strep and flu test were neg. Cultures would take a while and since I was getting worse each day and have fever this whole time off and on she said normally she would give antibiotic. She was concerned but I told her I think I need one as well because I was so sick yesterday I had trouble walking. My legs felt like Jello and I felt really bad. I showed her the list of antibiotics and we decided on zpack. The doxy I took as a teen and had red dots on my torso so I have that as an allergy. I called My fmt doc and he said I should get this taken care of and if I get really bad to come get the poop pills. So I started Zpack yesterday. I took 2 and had the most awful pains and then D followed for a bit. Today I woke up with normal BMs but stomach pain still there and mild nausea from pills. I will see if I can get through this Zpack. My URI symptoms however feel a bit better already. Feels like some of the congestion is starting to break up finally. My husband has been complaining of scratchy throat off and on too last few days. May be better if I pick up pills anyway tomorrow and take them while taking Zpack instead of at the end. It is hard to figure out because scared pill bacteria will be killed because of the long half life of this med. It takes another 5-10 days to get out of system after finishing.

I think coughing is a good sign. Maybe you guys are having luck with your body trying to rid itself of it. I know I feel less sick when I have URIs with cough. The tightness and pain in chest is what makes me feel worse. How is everyone feeling today?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:13 pm

I will probably start the antibiotic. Could not sleep most of the night and chest hurts from the coughing. Still coughing up ugly looking stuff. I was hoping that they would have a preliminary result for the culture to make sure that doxicicline will take care of it. I don't want to take it for nothing. Nurse keeps telling me that it takes 3 days and I keep asking her to call. She grudgingly said she would call later today and check.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu May 29, 2014 10:59 pm

Pink angel,
I survived a zpak twice for pneumonia. I took the probiotic VSL3 - as far apart as possible - with the zpak. Can't remember if I took vanco with it. Zpak can cause c diff but is a low offender. Best of luck.

pinkangel
Regular Contributor

Postby pinkangel » Thu May 29, 2014 11:10 pm

Thanks you guys. I have been eating yogurt and took digestive advantage and culturelle today. Where do you find VSL3? I am wondering if you can buy at cvs or normal drugstores? I think that would probably be the best one. That is good that you have had luck with that antibiotic. I have vanco but vanco feels like it kills everything in me so I think it will be better not to take it. Praying it goes smooth and can feel normal for my out of town guest Monday. They will be here a week or 2. Hoping to go to the beaches and Disney :/

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri May 30, 2014 1:43 am

Some Costco stores carry VSL#3. I get mine at the pharmacy of a Ralph's drug store (Kroger), but most pharmacies can order it for you. You can also go to their website and type in your zip code and it will list stores that carry it. Hope you make it to the beaches and Disney! We have Disneyland out here and I am just like a kid - I love to go!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:50 am

Am finally better and getting off meds. Went to Jazzercise today and made it through routine but exhausted. Couldn't have done it but have been in Jazzercise 24,yrs -'have work out clothes older than my classmates.

How are you, Beth?

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”