Always Something

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Always Something

Postby AllisS » Fri May 23, 2014 10:48 pm

Bobbie, I hope you feel better soon. Meanwhile, by all means let your husband help!
Allison
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 24, 2014 1:53 am

There are many articles that discuss the fact that gut flora is very important for the immune system and when you are on antibiotics or have an intestinal infection, this can destroy or alter that flora, thus compromising the immune system. There was an article just today that talked about antibiotics killing something that aids white blood cell production that helps fight off illness. I know that my white blood count goes low and when it does, I get sick.

Here is one article from a couple of years ago, but I have read several that talk of the importance of having good gut flora, which both c diff and the antibiotics used to treat it help destroy.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 152940.htm

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sat May 24, 2014 6:36 am

Praying for you Bobbie that you feel better today. Hang in there, at least its not pneumonia. Rest, rest and more rest today and try to push the fluids. I'm better but nausea is bad and not feeling as good as I felt Thursday morn. Never ends.
CAROL

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 24, 2014 11:37 am

Bobbie, let us know how you are doing. There is so much going around this year. I wonder why this late in the year too. Carol, my friend who has had the intestinal bug for close to two weeks says the same. She is better for a day or two and then worse again. Hang in there. My prayers are with you as well.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 24, 2014 11:30 pm

Bobbie - You are not alone. I have the URI now too. Coughing too. Hope it is short-lived. How are you doing?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun May 25, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi, Beth. Sorry you have this, too. I slept almost all day yesterday - in between taking 10000 meds. My chests hurts from coughing. Haven"t had asthma for years. Forgot what a pain in the ass it is.

Taking lots of meds for each ailment. Depressing. Why couldn't we have just one thing wrong with us?

At least I can type again - so exhausted after doc visit on Fri couldn't coordinate fingers on keys.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:50 pm

My chest hurts too from the cough. It is a cough with lots of phlegm and I feel as if I am wheezing, which I never have done to my knowledge. I guess I will be calling the doctor on Tuesday and hoping I don't need antibiotics. Are you taking antibiotics or is yours viral?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun May 25, 2014 11:35 pm

They don't know. Think they seldom do. Sorry you have this now, too. Enough!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 25, 2014 11:47 pm

I'm going to ask to have the phlegm cultured. They did that in February and it turned out I had a bacteria. If nothing shows up, I don't want to take any antibiotics, obviously. If it is a bacteria, I will ask that they run a sensitivity as well. So sick of being sick! The school year is almost over and I thought I was past getting sick. Memorial Day weekend has always been bad for me though. I don't know if it is the change in the weather or what, but this is not the first time I have an URI around this time. Sounds like you have had it before too. Hope you feel better.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Mon May 26, 2014 6:30 am

Prayers for you both to feel better. Hope the meds kick in Bobbie and Liz, hope you don't need any ATX. Both of you rest up and drink plenty of fluids for that phlegm. Can you take Mucinex? Feel better you two.
CAROL

pinkangel
Regular Contributor

Postby pinkangel » Mon May 26, 2014 5:03 pm

That may be a good idea to get this URI cultured if possible. How did they do that with you Beth? Hopefully all docs can do this. My chest is tight and wheezed last night . I do not cough up anything except a little in the morning. It hurts and was thinking of talking to doc because not sure if I need antibiotic . I was thinking of finding something like mucinex or similar to see if it helps me cough it up. Thankfully walgreens is close by. Prayers for everyone that this nasty thing goes away soon.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”