Why?

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Why?

Postby Bobbie » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:17 am

Justme,
Have you recovered from your TMI? Frightening. Like you needed something else to go wrong with you!

IBS can last a long time but should eventually taper off. About l out of 5 have it after C. diff. I had it after every C. diff. treatment. Was so sick at my son's wedding in the UK (long trip from KS) two years ago I was amazed I made it through it. Came home and got pneumonia0and then a UTI - plus was in a car accident - no fault, no injury, but lots of damage. After the pneumonia (survived a Z-pak), I developed horrible abdominal pain and had do to home FE's. (Ick.) They helped the pain, however, and now I have few problems.

Cramping and food intolerances will eventually go away. I was so sick so long and so often with C. diff. I was just thankful it was gone, but you are right. It leaves some of us with nasty side effects.

Feel better.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:21 pm

Bobbie: I am so late responding to your question because this site was unavailable for awhile (I have no idea why) and I just found it today. Yes, I have recovered from the stroke, but am being tested to find out why it happened since there is no smoking gun (don't smoke or drink, watch my weight, exercise daily, and am not diabetic). It may be a genetic condition since both my sister and mother have had these little mini-strokes. I am now 15 months out from C. Diff and still am not fully recovered. I made a huge error and ate a big salad with lots of fresh veggies and suffered the ill effects of too much fiber. I do try to keep up the fiber with prunes, oatmeal, fiber bars and Metamucil, but sometimes too much can painful when the colon rebels. It is a delicate balance of finding what one's system can tolerate and what it cannot. To me, being constipated is worse. I have tried to reintroduce yogurt, dairy, and probiotics with negative results. Dairy gives me diarrhea and the yogurt and probiotics result in lots of painful gas. Spicy food is another no-no, but I have been able to tolerate sweets which is its own "sweet" reward. I had a bout of UTI and was proscribed Macrobid, but tried just forcing water and it worked. I was retested and the UTI was gone. I'm just hanging in there and waiting out the healing process. I'm lucky to be retired and can take it easy, but I've become more of a recluse since C. Diff. It's probably because I still suffer from colitis and bouts of IBS, but I don't like to leave the house unless I have to. One of the people on this board mentioned suffering from PTSD, and it was an "aha" moment for me. I love to take college classes (I graduated years ago, but enjoy the challenge). I sat out last year, and this year I'm going to take a class online because of the colitis and desire to avoid sick people. Referring to C. Diff as the "Beast" is so accurate. It can be a recurring nightmare to be avoided whenever and however possible.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi, Justme,

What is your real name. Sorry to hear you are still having problems but glad you are doing better.

I was diagnosed with PTSD after my mother died after a long two years of problems. I'd moved her from MT to KS when she broke her hip in 2002. We have a lot of fun together until the last two years. She was incontinent, refused to eat, and developed dementia. She died after she broke her second hip. I have one sibling who was nasty to both Mom and me and created problems over her memorial - which I arranged. Suddenly, I couldn't remember things. Scary. It lasted a couple of months and I've had episodes since when under extreme pressure. You don't have to be in combat to have PTSD. (Which is what I've always thought.)

I love to take college classes, too. Don't isolate your self though because that can lead to depression and in reality you could pick up a "germ" on a piece of mail.

Yes, you can do everything right and still have something go wrong. Not fair but life isn't.

Keep improving and let us know how you are doing. BTW, the site was down for a couple of days while we got a new server - it is faster and we don't have to share it.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:19 am

Bobbie: My real name is Anne. Part of the problem with leaving the house is the possibility of another stroke, especially until they discover what caused it (if they ever do). I am not comfortable driving yet, but I'll eventually adjust. I had the same problem after the sudden cardiac arrest I had in 2007. The neurologist suspects that it may have occurred because I suffered from severe migraines before menopause and in 37% of minor stroke cases, a history of migraine accompanied with post menopause hormone therapy can be the cause. I am off HRT and having 10-12 hot flashes a day which is annoying to say the least (especially in Hawaii in the summertime). I will deal with it all as I have up to this point by not dwelling and taking it day by day. It does make me wonder sometimes though and think - okay, what's next? I am so glad you are back on the net. This site has really helped me cope. THANK YOU!!
Aloha,
Anne

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:21 am

Sorry to hear you are still having some problems, Anne. I used to suffer from migraines as well and on brain MRI they found some kind of white spots. The neurologist ran a whole lot of blood tests and told me that my homocysteine was a little high and that vitamins B12, B6 and folic acid were very important in prevention of stroke. Also low dose aspirin was suggested. I don't know if any of this has any bearing on your condition, but you might want to ask your doctor about it. Since c diff I too can't take HRT anymore. It does get better though. The hot flashes don't last forever!

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:29 pm

It's been awhile since I've checked this board and see new contributors with much more severe problems with C. Diff than I've had. I was lucky that the flagyl worked for me after one treatment (4 x a day for 10 days), and I've tested negative for C. Diff toxins; but I am not one of those lucky ones who could return to a regular diet after a short period of time (like my neighbor). Underlying physical problems make a big difference in the recovery from this dreadful disease. Being older, having a bum ticker, a stroke, and other issues like acid reflux has delayed my recovery. I understand that. Unfortunately, for all of us, understanding why things are doesn't help when the colon pain hits and we're left wondering - what did I eat that caused it this time? I am now over 16 months out in my recovery and I still suffer from attacks of colitis and IBS nearly every day, and still unsure what I ate that caused it. One thing I've noticed is that too much fiber can be a big problem. Yet, too little fiber can lead to worse problems (constipation, etc.). Trying to balance what we eat while making sure we are getting proper nutrients seems to often be closer to a scientific experiment using our own body in place of a lab rat. Avoiding things that can cause infections is another big project of mine. I drink lots and lots of water to avoid a UTI. I have a urethral stricture which makes me more prone to a UTI anyway. The water also helps move stuff along in the colon. I use saline sprays in my nostrils daily to avoid nasal infections from the VOG (volcanic ash from eruptions) and allergies, etc. Constant hand washing with soap and water is also a must and I use a disposable mask when visiting the doctor if there are a lot of little kids with colds in the office. I feel such compassion for those of you who are experiencing this dreadful condition and those who are still suffering from the side effects. Hang in there. It will take time, but the symptoms and side effects will ease with time. Celebrate the good days and hang in there on the bad days.
Aloha nui loa to all of you.
Anne

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:02 pm

Glad to hear from you. I take all the precautions you do - saline spray, drinking lots of water, washing hands, etc. and it's a pain in the a...

For some of this, C. diff. has been a life changer - and not in a good way. Glad to hear you are still testing negative.

Please keep in touch. Enjoy hearing from you.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”