The beast is back- so tired. Need encouragement

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
code3rn
Regular Contributor

The beast is back- so tired. Need encouragement

Postby code3rn » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:53 pm

Hello to all-
Quick note on my story so far- had my baby 4 months ago and got cdiff after antibiotics for mastitis. Was misdiagnosed for 3 weeks and then finally out on flagyl then vanco because flagyl is awful! Relapsed 5 days later. Was then out on long vanco taper. Finished the last pill last Monday and felt relapse symptoms soon after. My GI just called to say pcr results are positive. I'm devastated :( honestly in some ways I am a bit relieved Bc my anxiety was rearing it's ugly head and I couldn't figure out why. It also did the same thing before I relapsed the first time. I truly believe in the gut/ anxiety connection and when it's inflamed or irritated it affects me.

My local GI is actually offering to do an FMT for me, the thing is he has never done one before. He's never had anyone relapse on a vanco taper before. I appreciate his offer, but it makes me nervous! I have an appt with dr stollman in Oakland on march 19, who has done many more FMT's. I guess I will see how soon he can get me in. What do you guys think? My local GI doc said it's a simple procedure and he has been researching the protocols. I just feel like dr stollman is the cdiff guru, even though he's an hour away from me. My mom said she would be my donor as my husband just had a bout of diarrhea, so I guess I'll at least get her stool testing going in the meantime. He also put me on vanco again

Oh how I hate this horrible disease! I love my job as a nurse in the ER, but I am seriously considering a different job now. And praying this mft will work for me. I want my life back, I'm sure you all can relate. I know there is much success with FMT's , but I know some have lingering problems. I am praying it will do the trick ! Thanks for letting me vent, people that haven't been through just don't understand the mental anguish it causes

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: The beast is back- so tired. Need encouragement

Postby amyc » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:29 pm

I'm sorry to hear you relapsed, but your mom is probably a good choice for a donor since we all get a lot of our normal flora from our mothers during birth and while we are nursing. If your local doctor followed the normal protocol of using vancomycin up to 2 days before the transfer and did the one that is done with the colonoscopy I'd probably feel confident in doing it closer to home, but going to Oakland isn't a bad idea either. It's nice that you have two good options and can choose whichever makes you most comfortable.

You are more likely to have caught the C diff in the maternity ward than in the ER, but I can also understand your wanting to work elsewhere. Have you looked into administrative RN positions? My mom finished her nursing career doing QA and UR, and was then able to just do some consulting work. You could also consider working in an office setting for a cardiologist, neurologist, or oncologist as you would be unlikely to come into contact with active C diff patients in those settings. I'd suggest OR nursing, but it would be super stressful if you ended up working on colo-rectal cases. Maybe you could find a plastic surgeon who would train you to be his OR nurse?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:32 pm

So sorry about your reoccurrence. I would go with Dr. Stollman. If your GI hasn't seen many reoccur on a Vanco. taper, I doubt he's treated many C. diff. cases although I applaud his offer. Dr. Stollman has a good rep. - ask Beth about it. (I think she contacted you once.) If you decide to go with him, I'd contact him ASAP and get on a wait list.

Knowing you have reoccurred is " feeling" thing. If you feel you have, you usually are correct. I believe in the mind/body connection, too, but somehow I usually "sensed" when it was C. diff. and not IBS. I was not always right - probably as accurate as many doctors, however. C. diff. and IBS have such similar symptoms. See CDI - Three Day Rule and CDI - IBS.

Read the FMT forum although you probably know a lot about it anyway. We will add information as we get it.

I've had both a FMT and the FEs (ugh). The FMT was not bad (except for the prep) although I developed IBS afterwards - which eventually subsided.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:18 pm

Dr. STollman did my first colonoscopy FMT. He has done many and he is a very good doctor. I had to go up from southern CA and I wish that he practiced here. He is a great GI because I have asked him about lots of things over these last few years by e-mail and he always answers and is helpful. I would not hesitate to have him do your FMT.

code3rn
Regular Contributor

Postby code3rn » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 pm

Thank you so much ladies for your advice and encouragement. I will keep you posted and hope to get the ball rolling with the FMT on my appt march 19. This has been the worst 4 months of my life, my heart goes out to those who have suffered longer from this illness! I hope and pray I will be well again soon

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:37 pm

We've called C. diff. "the beast" for many years - for so many reasons. I wish I'd never heard of it. Wish we had the money spent on it (trips to Mayo, the U. of MI Med. Center, OKC.), and the hours spent on this site (I could have written a hundred books). and especially regret the anguish when my son had it in l979 and almost died. Then, no one had heard of it.

You are young, and you are in the health field so have medical knowledge. Now you need the right treatment. For many reasons (new strains: so many more cases of C. diff.) some of the regular meds. aren't working as well. FMT's, scoffed at for years, are now "the thing."
They have a high cure rate - 90-92%, especially when done correctly. Dr. S. is highly recommended.

I'd call Dr. S. and see if he has a waiting list to do the procedure. If you have two positive tests, you shouldn't have a problem.

Hope you can enjoy your kids before long. It has to be tough keeping up with two little ones when you don't feel well.

Best of luck and keep us informed. BTW, I notified Peter but said you wouldn't be available for awhile.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”