sick again

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Re: sick again

Postby seekingcure » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Fire, I actually recall reading somewhere that acupuncture could help with recurrent UTI's too, which is something I suffer from. It might be worth a try. But it's not cheap!

Beth, of course no one can predict whether you will be able to tolerate the Doxycycline without relapsing, but I will mention that I actually took a round of Doxycycline after the colonoscopy and the round of Clindamycin which precipitated the severe episode that my GI thinks was when my c-diff started. He thinks I was close to having an ileus and I agree, from the pain that I was in. At that point, I had not yet been diagnosed with c-diff, but I'm pretty sure I already had it and, amazingly, I was able to tolerate a round of Doxycycline with very little increase in intestinal symptoms. I also took 100 mg. twice a day. I also took several Diflucan during that course of antibiotics because my system was so wiped out from the Demeclocycline that I took prior to the colonoscopy and the colonoscopy prep that I had a bacterial vag. infection and a yeast infection at the same time. It was miserable! I'm hoping my experience indicates that the Doxycycline really does have less impact on the good bacteria than some of the other options. I think it would be what I would ask for if I had an infection that needed to be treated that Doxy would be effective for.

So sorry you are dealing with this. Can you take any time off from work to get some rest?
Bea

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:05 pm

NOw to confuse me even more, my internist thinks that the Bactrim would be more effective for the sinus infection, as do I, but GI says to try the doxy first. Tetracycline makes me dizzy and this is a close relative. I'm so tired of being sick. If it doesn't break my fever, then I will switch to the Bactrim tomorrow and plan on doing fecal enemas after.

Postscript: decided to go with the Bactrim. I don't remember any side effects and the dizziness scares me with the doxy. I hope I didn't make a mistake. I used to take 1/2 pill twice a day, so one pill a day really and it was only for 3 - 5 days. They want me to take those high doses of doxy for 10 days and from what I read, you have to take the high doses for it to work for sinuses and ears. Tomorrow I will see my internist. Needless to say, I am not going to work.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:39 am

Sending prayers for you Liz, Hoping you feel better today and you don't relapse. Only good thoughts from now on!!!!!!!!!! Hang in there, hopefully when Spring gets here you will turn a corner. Carol
CAROL

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:37 am

I was worse than ever during the night and fever went higher. Started the doxycycline this morning and will see my internist. General consensus seems to be that if I don't improve, I will have to take Levaquin and vanco. EEEKS!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:53 am

What next? Now I have vaginal bleeding - don't know why. I have not had a period in 7 or 8 years. My platelets were a little low before - never ends.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:28 pm

Oh, Beth, am so sorry. Just going to see all these docs. is grueling - let alone have them all disagree.

Try to get some rest. You made the best decision you could. Try not to second guess it - altho. it is difficult with so much going on.

Will check on you later.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:21 pm

Saw my internist. I do have an ear infection and the sinus infection is severe. If I don't respond to the doxycycline or if my fever spikes again, I have to take Levaquin along with 250mg vanco twice a day. My white count is usually below normal, but it was very high. I wish I could just catch a break.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:23 pm

I'm sorry too Liz, hang in there. Is the vaginal bleeding just spotting? I think all the stress you are under is just doing a number on your body. Are you taking anything, it might help calm things down but obviously you have to go to see the Gyno now and check out the spotting. I had that while I was having CDiff also and it was nothing. Try not to worry, you have enough on your plate. Still in my nightly prayers. Carol
CAROL

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: sick against

Postby Bobbie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:25 pm

So sorry. Hope you don't have to resort to Levaquin. Be sure and do the saline irrigation. Do the Afrin first and then wait about five min. To do the irrigation. You can use Afrin for 4 to 5 days without a rebound effect but check this with your pharmacist.

Hope this works.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Nothing works. The ear infection is going to the other ear. I will have to start Levaquin tonight. Cipro is what gave me c diff, so I have to take the dreaded vanco at the same time. My worry is - what if the Levaquin doesn't work? I had an ear infection while on Cipro before. They did take a sample of phlegm today to culture. I have to get well!!!!!! Work and lots to do.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:46 pm

Has the dr. confirmed that the infection(s) (ear and/or sinus) is bacterial vs. viral? Antibiotic would only be given if bacterial, is that right?
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:10 pm

My white count was high, so it is bacterial

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:08 am

I am so depressed, I don't know what to do. I can't hear properly because of the sinus infection and ear infection. Everything sounds like it is in an echo chamber. I took the Levaquin and a vanco 250mg capsule. My GI wants me to take two a day, ID said only one a day. It would have been better to take 125mg capsules, but I had these in the house and can't afford to get the others as I have a high deductible and have already had so many medical expenses. I just can't believe all this is happening to me. It's like pushing the rewind button with the vanco. I have yellow loose stools to look forward too, but hopefully not a relapse. I will have to do fecal enemas when this is all done. But, if the Levaquin doesn't work - then what? I don't want to take Clindamycin. I would get ear tubes put in before I did that I think. My faith has always gotten me through everything, but I really don't know how much more I can take. It's too much.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:27 am

As much as we fear ATX, the one good thing about them is that, more often than not, they work. As the infection begins, hopefully, to clear up, your anxiety will probably decrease. Did the GI say two 250 mg capsules per day? Or 125 mg twice a day? Not quite clear from what you wrote. I'd ask the two drs. if they can come to an agreement re: dosage; it doesn't seem right to leave you, the patient, having to wonder. I'd also follow the instructions (if they get clarified) to the letter and spend the $ on the 125 mg if that's somehow thought to be better.

I'm very familiar with that can't-believe-it's-real frightened feeling and empathize completely. Try and remember that the specific things you're afraid of will not necessarily happen. Do you have an Rx for an anxiety med such as Xanax or Valium? I've found this to be very helpful in times of extreme stress.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:48 am

i'm not sure about the dosage. ID said if I took 250mg, then once a day was enough. GI said 125mg 3 or 4 x per day, but if 250, then twice. I will e-mail him and ask. I don't think anyone really knows. My mom took 3 or 4 courses of antibiotics last year and did not relapse.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”