sick again

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

sick again

Postby beth22 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:23 pm

I am so tired of being sick all the time. Now I have another URI of some kind. Had a horrible sore throat yesterday. It felt as if I were swallowing pieces of glass. I also have had headaches - from the sinuses, which are also a mess and it feels as if I am getting an ear infection. Prior to c diff, it would have been bad enough, but I could have had an antibiotic if needed for an ear infection. Now? Fix one thing and then get c diff back. It is really discouraging. I wish they would hurry up and find a cure for c diff that really works so that every time we get something else, we don't have to fear treating it. Was supposed to go out and have some fun this weekend. Well, that isn't going to happen. I may go to urgent care if things get worse instead. Sorry for the venting, but this is the venting section, so here I go!

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Re: sick again

Postby seekingcure » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Oh no! If it's not one thing, it's another. I know how you feel with the URI's. I've had one after the other all winter, it seems. Can't get rid of the cough before I get a new round of something. It really would be wonderful to be able to treat common things like sinus infections, ear infections, bronchitis and/or pneumonia and UTI's with antibiotics without having to worry about c-diff again. I don't know any home remedies to prevent this turning into an ear infection, but I do believe the Vick's VapoRub has helped me avoid pneumonia a couple of times this winter. Apply liberally to your upper chest and throat before bed and cover with a lightly warmed towel. It's an old-fashioned remedy that my mother always used and it does seem to help. Breathing the vapors as you sleep also seems to help open up the sinuses so you can breathe a little better. That and a vaporizer are my mainstays for getting through all these colds. Bobbie says a neti pot helps her with the sinuses, but I haven't tried that one yet. A word of caution on the neti pot, although you all may already know it. Be sure to use only sterilized water. A couple of people using unboiled tap water got a brain-eating amoeba. Now THAT's not something I need. My brain's going fast enough without that (ever have a word or someone's name on the tip of your tongue, but just can't find it anymore?)

Vent all you want! You've had more than your fair share of sickness and no-one could blame you for being frustrated. Hope you don't have to go to Urgent Care; wear your mask if you do, so, God forbid, you don't pick up something else. I hope you get over this and start to feel better soon.

Will spring ever come?
Bea

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:53 pm

So sorry Liz, try gargling with warm salt water for your throat, that always helps me. Hope you feel better soon and it doesn't turn into something you have to take an ATX for. Carol
CAROL

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Can you take Sudafed? Mucinex D from behind the pharmacist's counter is amazing stuff. I have developed a lovely little cough as well. I work retail now and am continually amazed and disgusted by the people who bring in their hacking kiddies when they shop. Gee, thanks guys!

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:31 pm

My sister uses an antimicrobial supplement - berberine. She has been taking it pretty much continuously for a year or two - she claims it prevents her from getting sinus infections. I think she prefers the Thorne brand. I don't know whether berberine is as bad as conventional antibiotics in killing off good flora and allowing C. diff to propagate, but there is most likely some risk.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:19 am

I've heard of berberine for UTIs I think it was. I don't usually do well with supplements. I tried a few, including curcumin and most give me D.

I am using Afrin spray right now as I can't use Sudafed. I'm allergic to pseudoephedrine hydrocloride which is in most decongestants. I get a horrible rash, plus I have high blood pressure and the decongestants are contraindicated. I will see how things are by Monday. Most likely this is viral, but I'm not sure. My throat is very, very red and now it feels as if I will lose my voice - usually a virus. Just hoping there are no secondary bacterial infections. I do the nasal irritation already, but I will try the vaporub. I've been putting some menthol stuff on my shoulders and neck for the neck pain I have and the vapors did help to unstuff my nose some.

I know what you mean about people coming in with germs though, Amy. At school, many of the students have been sick, but come to school anyway and sneeze and cough without covering their noses and mouths. It's very inconsiderate.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:00 am

The school should institute a teach-correct-sneezing/coughing protocol, where students are shown how to use the crook of their arm or are instructed to use a tissue. I constantly see adults sneeze and cough into the palms of their hands. This is so stupid (and repulsive) that it's hard to imagine how people wouldn't know better. (Though children can't be expected to on their own.)
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:36 am

These are high school students and if someone showed them, some of them would think it funny to do just the opposite. There are a few who cough into the crook of their arm or shoulder - maybe their parents are in the medical profession. I could have been careless about washing hands too - I've been very, very busy with school activities. Generally, I wash after every class, but not lately.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:44 am

Well, looks like I can't dodge the bullet anymore. I have a whopper of a sinus infection. Woke up with fever and have continuous postnasal infected mucus. I will be looking for an urgent care or someplace to go today to see if they can culture it, so that I can at least get on the right antibiotic. Bactrim used to work pretty well years ago and it is not one of the worst, but I'm sure than any antibiotic I take will bring back my c diff, as I have had it low grade off and on since the Ft anyway. Can't believe my luck! Hope I don't lose any more hearing as a result either.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:59 pm

Beth, do you think it would do any good to take Vanco or Xifaxan along with the Bactrim or whatever antibiotic you have to take for the sinus infection? I will keep you in my prayers that you can get rid of this sinus infection without relapsing.
Bea

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:04 pm

My ENT's office is closed for the holiday today, so I am going to see a NP at the ENT group at the local hospital. I called my old ID and asked him which antibiotics he would recommend and he said doxicycline and Bactrim was ok too. I'm hoping maybe they can irrigate the sinuses and get the infection out, but I don't know if they do that anymore. Thanks for the prayers - I could sure use them right now.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:42 pm

Beth,
Sometimes plain old Sulfa will work - it did for me for years for sinus infection. Bactrim is sulfa plus another antibiotic added so is stronger.

Doxy. is not big offender.

Best of luck.

Fire2
Regular Contributor

Postby Fire2 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:32 pm

This may sound a little weird, but I know a number of people that suffer annual sinus issues and have tries all sorts of treatments, drugs, vapors, sauna's all with little if any success, until they saw an acupuncturist. Not one of them has had a sinus relapse so far this year. As my acupuncturist told me that Western Medicine including the practice of blood letting has been around for maybe 250 years, Chinese medicine for well over 5000...just maybe they learned something in the other 4750 years. I went in as a total skeptic and left a total believer...just something to consiider..

Fire

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:19 pm

It just never ends Liz. I will keep you in prayer also that you don't relapse if you have to take an ATX. Lets hope for the best. Carol
CAROL

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:17 pm

Too late for the acupuncture. I should have tried it for my allergies. I have a nasty sinus infection that has gone into my ear. By the time I got to the doctor's office, I could barely hear out of that ear. They prescribed me doxycycline 100mg twice a day, which seems a bit much, so I am going to run it by my internist. I don't even know if it will help. Bactrim always did and I would only take half the dose at that. I am to continue the sinus rinses with the Neil med bottle and use Afrin for 3 days. I had a fever of 100 when I was there mid afternoon, despite having taken Tylenol. Can't believe this is happening after I've been so careful!

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”