another hospital stay scared feel like im falling apart

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
pinkangel
Regular Contributor

Re: another hospital stay scared feel like im falling apart

Postby pinkangel » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:11 pm

Roy I had my cdiff tests after meds years ago. I dont know how many were done but I remember they were never refrigerated or sent to lab right away and 1 was lost. I had horrible docs back then. I dont and will never know if I was experiencing cdiff or something else back in 2009 because I had other health problems then as well such as bad gallbladder which was confirmed when surgeon took it out. I had adhesions everywhere and because of the inflammation it was stuck to other parts in my body. I also was diagnosed with graves at that time which can cause some of the same symptoms. I gradually got better after surgery and many probiotics.. I was fairly healthy for 3 yrs and active without tummy symptoms so when I had bad D and joint issues in 2013 I went to doc and got a test for c diff and other bugs he tested and it was c diff positive. I believe he did the pcr and toxin test. No c diff tests from 2009 until then. So thats why I said 1. My stool would alternate between watery and semi ok. I have read many people who have c diff on here with semi formed samples. Not everyone presents with watery D 100% of the time. I know I had C diff symptoms this time and I did get better on flagyl the first medicine but came back after 3 weeks off.I had a huge amount of watery BMSThe joint pain and the tummy issues again and high wbc. My wbc also went down.on meds I do think c diff is my issue . I may have other helath problems as well but c diff is part of that equation.

Amy I tried that after gallbladder surgery and felt horrid on it. Like I was poisoning myself. The after gallbladder D lasted maybe 6 months and then went back to normal. I have had normal stool for the most part until I got diagnosed with C diff recently. The only thing I could not tolerate a lot of was chocolate and a few random foods like chinese food. That is very interesting about mast cell disorder. Maybe something to look into. How did they diagnose you and what where your symptoms?

Beth I was tested for camplyobacter and a few others with c diff. They were ok. I went to my GI this week. Finally found one here. He said same thing about other bugs cause arthritis as well. I told him I was tested and he has given me a sheet to take to a lab to get retested. He said he wants to do again because sometimes it takes a few tests and he wants to be sure. The sibo is another thing. I know all my good bacteria has been killed by the antibiotics. So I could be getting symptoms from my gut being overrun by other bacteria or just trying to get back to normal. Yeah I am sensitive to meds and allergies too and usually have a few side effects with everything. I was suprised I tolerated the flagyl as well as I did until the last few days. Funny story when I was in the hospital recently. I all of a sudden kept sneezing and eyes watering . It was insane I could not stop. I started in the middle of a blood draw and scared the lady to death and it took quite a while for me to stop. My new nurse for that shift was like what in the world. I said I have allergies but nothing ever has made me this bad except peace lillies. She looked around and said well cant find any plants on the floor. Everytime she came by it would start up again. She said what do they look like. We googled it for her. She is like oh my I have these in my house. Turns out I was allergic to her and possibly the spores of plant on her clothes and we realized I was sneezing since she stared her shift and when she would come in the room. I ended up having to wear a mask everytime she came in unlike most nurses who had to around other patients. Thanks for praying for me :) I went to my new PCP today and she also wants to check my thyroid since its been quite a while.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:36 pm

Pink Angel,
If you want to be tested for C. diff. again, see hints in CDI - C. diff. Tests. Unlike most forums, the newest info. is posted last. Here are several exerpts.

Be sure to use a STERILE not just a clean cup. Test is about 90% accurate - much more so than previous tests. Turn into lab within 24 hours - keep refrig.
Mark on top of speciman; "C. Diff testing - refrig. or test ASAP." initial results within 24 hours - final results takes 3 days. I got this info. directly from a "lab engineer" who told me, "I wish nurses would stop telling people 'clean' containers are OK."

Per lab engineer re. PCR test:

Sample has to be a certain "consistency" before labs here will do the PCR test. Here's the "real scoop" (or I could say poop) per a "lab engineer" (they do the actual testing). If a stick will stay upright in a sample, it's not acceptable for the test

Someday you will be well. Hang on to that thought. In the meantime, I'd get professional counseling for your stress and investigate anti-depressant and anti-anxiety meds. as many of us on the site have done. (I know you react strangely to some meds.) Exercise is a great way to relieve stress, and it and my heating pad have been my best friends for years. And no side effects - usually. I do Jazzercise, Zumba, and walking. It has saved what is left of my sanity. Get a doc's OK before exercising strenuously. Just a walk around the block will clear your head and give you perspective.

Best thoughts to you. You will make it - but you are your best advocate. Calm down and get organized. (Difficult to do when not feeling well.) We are here to support you, but, please, brief posts once a day about yourself. We encourage you to PM and email others on the site in a similar situation (and there are many) for support. We are all here to support you and many of us have had unsympathetic spouses, family, and friends. No one understands what it is like to have a particular health problem. "Walk a mile in my shoes." Many of us have overcome C. diff. You will too.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:48 pm

Pink Angel,
Hope you are doing better. Wanted to check and make sure you weren't "scared off" by posting limit. I'm a free-lance writer and many things I've had published have been "edited" down so know how you feel. We have so many on this site now it's best to be brief. But do post.

Know how you feel - you are afraid and feel as though you are alone. Sorry your husband isn't more supportive. I'm sure it's difficult to be a military wife. I had a friend years ago who had 10 miscarriages in different places while her husband was in the Navy. She had a lot of support from other Navy wives, though. Do you have any support from other wives?
amyc is one and gave you good advice.

Hope things are going better for you. Do post - just try to make it brief.

BTW, were you retested?

Tracey P
New User

Postby Tracey P » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:20 pm

Excuse me -- new here :)

What is that "pain all over" thing?

When I first went to ER, same day of diagnosis last month (long story), mean doc made fun of me for saying I had pains "all over". I was clearly distended (though I didn't know it; I was really out of it). He finally said it was anxiety I think (I showed him my Xanax bottle; the Xanax wasn't helping), so then he said it was a virus, and sent me home. A security guard had to help me get out of that ER. (He reported it, and later a hospital administrator called and took my "statement", and reported mean doc to some board. I said an apology would do, but she said she had to report it.)

Still, I have these occasional "pains all over", and I'm "all clear" after 2 wks Vanco, and in stages of healing (I hope). What IS that "pains all over"? I was guessing dehydration, so I drink lots of gatorade (cut down) and water.
First bout: Nov/Dec 2013

Maybe avoid PPIs (Nexium, Protonix, etc).
http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/new ... flux-drugs

pinkangel
Regular Contributor

Postby pinkangel » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:12 am

Hi Bobbie, I have been focusing on getting better. I found a good probiotic regime this week that does not bother me. I don't feel as weak. I think the hospital stay and not eating 5 days in there, low vitamins,vanco, and the colonoscopy really made me weak. I also think my muscles are weak from all the bed rest. I walked around the pond at the apartment today and will continue adding more time to my walks. My BMS are good for 4 days and eating better with not much night sweating. Its been 7 days off Vanco. I was going to take the lab sheet in to Quest Mon or Tues for the tests GI wanted to be done again. Thought its better to be off meds 7-10 days. I think now I just have some post IBS and other things going on. Pray for no more relapses. My husband just got out and moved here for GI bill to go to school and is in National Guard so no more bases to make friends. I have been chit chatting outside with neighbor which helps.

Amy my pain was from like an autoimmune response from Cdiff . It was called reactive arthritis according to my doctor. May be a good idea to check your potassium.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:47 am

Pink Angel,
Glad you are feeling better, smart to wait to be retested. Exercise is good. It won't cure C diff but it will make you stronger - mentally and physically.

We've had a number of posters who developed reactive arthritis.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”